Confirmed with Link: Sean Couturier new contract 8x$7.75 AAV

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
amazing insight lol
“I like to drink red wine. This girl says, ‘Doesn't red wine give you a headache?’ Yeah, eventually! But the first and the middle part are amazing. I'm not gonna stop doing something 'cause of what's gonna happen at the end. ‘Mitch, you want an apple?’ ‘No, eventually it'll be a core.’”

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Couts reasoning was simple, he has roots here, loves being a Flyer, obviously has confidence in Fletcher but just as important, puts happiness in front of ego.

If he hits the market maybe he makes $8M more over the life of the contract (7x10), has to go to a new team, drag his family to a new city away from their friends (he's been here a decade) for a net of say $5M after taxes, fees and escrow on top of the $30M he'll clear on this contract. What can he buy with that extra $5M that will make him happier than a situation where he's already happy?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
“I like to drink red wine. This girl says, ‘Doesn't red wine give you a headache?’ Yeah, eventually! But the first and the middle part are amazing. I'm not gonna stop doing something 'cause of what's gonna happen at the end. ‘Mitch, you want an apple?’ ‘No, eventually it'll be a core.’”

A good way to avoid that problem is to eat the core too.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
IMO if your are paying attention there was something wrong, in certain players eyes, with the construction of the roster and with the chemistry of the team whether on ice or in the locker room.

With what they’ve done to buttress Hayes with his guys, and replacing some young and redundant talent and older guys that had worn out their welcome, with older stable vets — this appears to have been a fix to an imperative issue that fans may not have been aware of, which was so important that it contributed to the Couts deal.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
IMO if your are paying attention there was something wrong, in certain players eyes, with the construction of the roster and with the chemistry of the team whether on ice or in the locker room.

With what they’ve done to buttress Hayes with his guys, and replacing some young and redundant talent and older guys that had worn out their welcome, with older stable vets — this appears to have been a fix to an imperative issue that fans may not have been aware of, which was so important that it contributed to the Couts deal.

Well said. All the whining on here about this being Haye’s team, but pretty evident that there must have been some issues in the room, considering Couturier’s deal after the recent slew of moves. Again, pure speculation, but much of the circunstancial evidence adds up to signal there was a malaise and attitude problem that was affecting the team’s performance. Look up the definition of malaise, and you’d probably see Nolan Patrick.

Reactions: Hexxxy and orangey

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
One more year on G's contract, I could see him being traded if they suck again. Couts is the next C, as has been said.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Habs fan here. Am I wrong or, Couturier was already a really good player. Even at 18 years old in the NHL??. If i remember. He already played on the third line, on PK and still producing for a 18 yo guy. Im just asking it, cause many fan comparing his trajectory to Kotkaniemi and I think this is unfair, cause Couturier was still useful for your team, isnt? Thanks for yours answer

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Habs fan here. Am I wrong or, Couturier was already a really good player. Even at 18 years old in the NHL??. If i remember. He already played on the third line, on PK and still producing for a 18 yo guy. Im just asking it, cause many fan comparing his trajectory to Kotkaniemi and I think this is unfair, cause Couturier was still useful for your team, isnt? Thanks for yours answer

Couturier was already shutting down Malkin in the 2012 playoffs as a teenager. Hes been elite defensively from the get-go. His offensive metrics were also good early on but he was in bottom 6 with poor linemates. Once he was given the opportunity his offense explosed too.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Yes, Couturier was still very good at 18. His underlying metrics were always good, which is why most of us weren't surprised when he 'broke out' after finally not being forced to drag around old vets on a traditional "3rd line".

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's a bit of a myth around here.
2013-14: 2nd in ES TOI 14:22
2014-15: 3rd in ES TOI 14:29
2015-16: 3rd in ES TOI 14:49
2016-17: 3rd in ES TOI 14:47
2017-18: 1st in ES TOI 16:28
2018-19: 1st in ES TOI 16:41
2019-20: 1st in ES TOI 15:02

He did play a little more when he moved to 1C, but not a drastic uptick in minutes.
Problem was they never had enough good forwards to fill out a second line, and Couts/Schenn weren't a great combo.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's a bit of a myth around here.
2013-14: 2nd in ES TOI 14:22
2014-15: 3rd in ES TOI 14:29
2015-16: 3rd in ES TOI 14:49
2016-17: 3rd in ES TOI 14:47
2017-18: 1st in ES TOI 16:28
2018-19: 1st in ES TOI 16:41
2019-20: 1st in ES TOI 15:02

He did play a little more when he moved to 1C, but not a drastic uptick in minutes.
Problem was they never had enough good forwards to fill out a second line, and Couts/Schenn weren't a great combo.

I'm confused at what myth you think is being busted by posting ES TOI and ignoring all other context vital to the point.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
It's called a slump. Every player in the NHL goes through them. Are we going to do this every time he has one over the next 8 years?

Rlx. I’m asking a question whether he may be playing injured. Couts has been banged up before and played through it. It looks to be more likely the case again.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Rlx. I’m asking a question whether he may be playing injured. Couts has been banged up before and played through it. It looks to be more likely the case again.

It's fair to speculate as to whether he's playing banged up.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Another bad contract. Thanks Fletcher.
and-here-we-go-joker.gif

Reactions: Legion of Gloom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad