Confirmed with Link: Sean Couturier named 20th captain in Flyers history

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
They really didn't trade Laughton for a rumored 1st yesteryear because they valued his leadership. This is what smart teams do

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I’m sure this will get labeled as being negative but…

John Tortorella, or any coach for that matter, shouldn’t be the one deciding the leadership group. It’s just another ego trip for him.
I must strongly disagree with this line of thinking; the captains are a go between for three HC and roster... Torts should have the players he feels he xan work with in place. Also, who better than the HC can take the pulse of the Room (with the assistance of his staff... and other players, of course)? I believe that it should be, as it always has been, the job of the HC to determine, and appoint the caprains... and I do not see it as an ego trio. With that said, I suppose one may argue that the delay in selecting them might be... but as I see it, Torts believed that the team was not ready for the long-term selections until now... and this is a good indication of the team turning an important corner in their return back to the path that they were on for so many years, before they veered off
JMO

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Very happy for Couts. Not surprised either. Years and years ago it was obvious he would be the next captain after G-daddy. He has been the backbone of the team for years on end and exhibits all the characteristics you see in a quality leader.

TK with an A means, to me, he's getting re-signed. Word, so long as it doesn't break the bank.

Laughton is merely keeping Sanheim's letter warm for him. He'll be gone at the deadline or offseason, and then next year Sanheim will be an alternate.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I must strongly disagree with this line of thinking; the captains are a go between for three HC and roster... Torts should have the players he feels he xan work with in place. Also, who better than the HC can take the pulse of the Room (with the assistance of his staff... and other players, of course)? I believe that it should be, as it always has been, the job of the HC to determine, and appoint the caprains... and I do not see it as an ego trio. With that said, I suppose one may argue that the delay in selecting them might be... but as I see it, Torts believed that the team was not ready for the long-term selections until now... and this is a good indication of the team turning an important corner in their return back to the path that they were on for so many years, before they veered off
JMO
The players should choose every single time. They would probably come out with the same exact results in this situation and yet we hear from “Torts” that he’s the one that decided this. He’s the one that gave them the leadership roles.

Everything that Torts does is to inflate his ego. Hell, the only having one player with a letter for a year and a half was an ego trip by him to show that he’s the boss as you alluded to.

At the end of the day, the letters don’t mean much. The leaders were already there. They didn’t just come out of nowhere. Torts just gave them a cookie for doing their chores.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
The players should choose every single time. They would probably come out with the same exact results in this situation and yet we hear from “Torts” that he’s the one that decided this. He’s the one that gave them the leadership roles.

Everything that Torts does is to inflate his ego. Hell, the only having one player with a letter for a year and a half was an ego trip by him to show that he’s the boss as you alluded to.

At the end of the day, the letters don’t mean much. The leaders were already there. They didn’t just come out of nowhere. Torts just gave them a cookie for doing their chores.

All points are well taken... Torts seems indeed to be ego driven, and with that naturally comes all of which you've pointed and... and more. Possibly another coach at another time wouldn't be taking such heat on this. I hear you on the players choosing the captains... I just feel that that should beca natural progression in the process, as the HC works with them before placing the final stamp on the selections. In the end though, I believe not many will argue with the selections/choices... merely the manner, and timing of the selections. Torts probably will have uphill battles in all things... largely of his own doing... in his making of the bed, so to speak.

Last edited:

pooch

May 30, 2017
The timing of it makes sense to me. They had to make sure he was back and could play. Can't make him the C if he ends up like Ellis.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Seems they felt it was prudent to wait until they were more confident coming back from injury
That's fine, but it's still weird that they stripped the A off his jersey while he was out hurt.

This was his last game/point before he went out with the back injury. On the Farabee goal video, you can see he's wearing the "A" (and a cage) at 20 seconds.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia

John Tortorella, or any coach for that matter, shouldn’t be the one deciding the leadership group. It’s just another ego trip for him.
I strongly disagree with this when it comes to hockey.

If this was football, where the culture is “the players vote for new captains every year”, hey by all means let the players choose. No football fan has added expectations because the kicker was voted a captain.

But in hockey, when you give someone the C, it anoints them the face of the franchise. It means that barring a major change in the direction of the team, that guy is gonna be here for years, leading the team.

And with that in mind, it needs to be a total organizational decision, with buy in from every level (his peers, the coach, and the front office) and it’s gotta pass the smell test with the fans too. You could get away with Laughton as the only A, but you couldn’t get away with naming him captain.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
The Flyers alone have had 3 or 4 one year captains....Forsberg, Smith, Pronger all in recent memory. Hatcher was named interim Captain in the middle of the 05-06...

Hell, the Blues gave the C to Gretzky for 18 games. There are many examples of Captains been 1 year (and less).

Personally, I think an individual captain is overrated. In my mind, it's about the leadership group, and that is formulated organically by the players within the room.

Reactions: Magua

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
Couts should have never lost his A. He has always been a quiet leader and as soon as he was back on the ice he should have had his A back even if they were waiting on the C.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Doesn’t mean they won’t do it, but I don’t think they’re actively trying to move out Laughton. Otherwise they would’ve waited until after he was traded.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Doesn’t mean they won’t do it, but I don’t think they’re actively trying to move out Laughton. Otherwise they would’ve waited until after he was traded.

Why wouldn't they wait until he is traded?

Just to avoid a leadership void?

I tend to agree that I think he will be moved, and they couldn't very well telegraph their moves by naming someone else as A, but fan expectations were already that no captain would be named this year, so the timing does seem a bit odd.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I know this will also be negative, but all those bizarre people around the webs who would blame losses on lacking leadership due to there being no C? They're just going to blame Couturier now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is immediately what I thought.

Trading the only guy with a letter, so get in front of an already strange situation and assign new letters.
I find it stranger that they would name the leadership group and then immediately trade one of them. For a team promoting transparency and culture so heavily, you’re identifying these guys as players who have fully bought in and are the purveyors of that culture. What message does it send to subtract from that group?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
This fanbase can't handle having a captain. From here on out if someone slips on a banana peel the knuckle draggers will blame the captain.
Who says C stands for Captain? Could well be the first initial of his surname....

The C though has turned into a scarlett letter of sorts since G donned it.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I know this will also be negative, but all those bizarre people around the webs who would blame losses on lacking leadership due to there being no C? They're just going to blame Couturier now.
Are you predicting a giant fall-off in play, effort, points, and attitude? Also, will Coots get credit going forward if they continue onto the POs?

My personal view is that Torts will be blamed if they don't make the postseason... especially from those who refuse to give him credit for their spike in play and the results this season. FWIW I have for many years detested Tortorella... and currently I'm appreciating his work and the results, while not happy with the way he treats some players; I would rather he be able to work with the Roster in a manner which fits in all talents into the system... for example, it would have been much better to utilize Hayes' talents, and not lessening the return they received/price they paid in moving him. I cannot dispute the results he achieves... and I also understand that all HCs have expiring shelf life... but I digress. Haha

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Are you predicting a giant fall-off in play, effort, points, and attitude? Also, will Coots get credit going forward if they continue onto the POs?

My personal view is that Torts will be blamed if they don't make the postseason... especially from those who refuse to give him credit for their spike in play and the results this season. FWIW I have for many years detested Tortorella... and currently I'm appreciating his work and the results, while not happy with the way he treats some players; I would rather he be able to work with the Roster in a manner which fits in all talents into the system... for example, it would have been much better to utilize Hayes' talents, and not lessening the return they received/price they paid in moving him. I cannot dispute the results he achieves... and I also understand that all HCs have expiring shelf life... but I digress. Haha

The same people blamed Giroux while he was elite and giving his all nightly.

Flyers fans can't handle having a captain.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I find it stranger that they would name the leadership group and then immediately trade one of them.

If they were definitely trading Laughton, and concerned about presenting a leadership void, they could easily have just named Couturier captain, and left the appointment of Konecny (and probably Sanheim) as alternate for after the TDL, when they wouldn't have to reiterate Laughton's status at all. Doing all of it now required them to reiterate Laughton's position, which adds that element of awkwardness, so I'm leaning more towards all three still being here in April.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Yeah…hockey is a business first and foremost!
Winning is the main objective in sports and I think the Flyers with their new front office will finally break through.
Popular players get traded but it’s the return and what the new players in the package you acquire that makes the deal worthwhile.
Bobby Clarke was a rookie GM when he made an unusual trade of his friend,roommate Darryl Sittler and the best player the Flyers had at that time.
Before the start of the 1984/85 season he promised Sittler the captaincy and then was offered a young Murray Craven from Detroit for him and dealt him a few days before Sittler had the "C" sewn onto his chest. As of 10 years ago or so, Sittler said he still hasn't forgiven Clarke for that.
But it made the Flyers a better team with a young Craven playing 7 plus seasons with a 200 ft game and establishing himself as a key cog of the two Stanley Cup runs the Flyers were in back in the late 80’s.
Darryl Sittler was my favorite player but Clarke made a heist in that trade.
I’ve gotten over the Giroux trade so Laughton getting traded is no biggy…
Need first round picks for the REBUILD!

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Yeah…hockey is a business first and foremost!
Winning is the main objective in sports and I think the Flyers with their new front office will finally break through.
Popular players get traded but it’s the return and what the new players in the package you acquire that makes the deal worthwhile.
Bobby Clarke was a rookie GM when he made an unusual trade of his friend,roommate Darryl Sittler and the best player the Flyers had at that time.
Before the start of the 1984/85 season he promised Sittler the captaincy and then was offered a young Murray Craven from Detroit for him and dealt him a few days before Sittler had the "C" sewn onto his chest. As of 10 years ago or so, Sittler said he still hasn't forgiven Clarke for that.
But it made the Flyers a better team with a young Craven playing 7 plus seasons with a 200 ft game and establishing himself as a key cog of the two Stanley Cup runs the Flyers were in back in the late 80’s.
Darryl Sittler was my favorite player but Clarke made a heist in that trade.
I’ve gotten over the Giroux trade so Laughton getting traded is no biggy…
Need first round picks for the REBUILD!
what rebuild?

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad