GDT: seacar

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I did do the GDTs for our record win streak…

I love Skjei and agree but he’ll be more expensive and we have Orlov then Nikishin and Slavin on the left side. Either we keep Pesce or both walk.

I think this is correct. Based on play the last couple of years Skjei really looks like hes a late bloomer. Super solid 3-4 dman. He is gonna get paid for sure if he has another 40pt season.

I also think Pesce has been slowing down some as well. More noticably than last year. Hopefully he comes back ready to go.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Thing is, Skjei is going to get PAID...and rightfully so. He significantly contributes to the game offensively and has rounded out his defense and overall game the past few years. Then he'll randomly throw a huge rogue hit every once in a while. I agree that with his skating I think he'll age better, plus Pesce giving some foot speed and injury concerns the past 2 seasons, which may limit or lower his offers/interest. I'd love to keep Skjei but with Orlov I don't think we can afford what he'll ask
We may have to dump Orlov and pay the price because we over paid him and he sucks

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
retrospect.

TDA / Skjei looked pretty decent tonight. Chat / Orlov wasn't a disaster, but my god orlov SUCKS. Burns worst game in a while. I hope this isnt his fall off. Nachos new stick is okay. KK may be having that break out year. Javris and KK can win faceoffs. Aho is not nearly 100%

You must not be a big fan of Orlov win or lose. His +/- tonight was even. He looked good at times on offense.

Baby steps. It's game 8; there are 82 games in a season.

I do believe it's only a matter of time that he scores his 1st.

I mean, we won the game and that's what matters. Orlov had a better game than Burns.

Unlike some fans I'm willing to be patient with the new guy.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Also, even though we lost the last game vs TB we seem to be coming around on D. After it seems an eternity of giving up 4 goals in a game we've given up 3 and 2 in the last 2 games.

Hopefully, this is a sign of good things defensively for this team.

I know this isn't the popular opinion but TDA was really good at D tonight. Also that 3rd period was the foundation of Caens Hockey and pretty much the first time we saw it this year

He was definitely noticeable last night. Broke up a 2 on 1 by the Kraken that would've led to a prime scoring chance.

Yes, I'm posting remarks at 6:30 in the morning. Even though this is my day off work I'm an early bird.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Yep. Desperate teams are dangerous because they'll do whatever it takes to win.

We need to get the first goal. Don't give SJ any hope. They WILL get their first win eventually; just hope it's not tonight.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
He's a talented f***er. No one can deny that. He just needs to get his head together.

Overall, though, fantastic game. That's more the Canes we know and love.

I've been trying to watch him a bit and it looks like he's caught thinking a bit....he's between a couple options and not acting off instinct. Once he knows what to do and speeds up his decision making I think he'll be great.

I'm excited I've seen him line up some big hits already this season....those will be fun :).

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
That play from Skjei on the 2nd goal was just… wow.

As it stands I’m keeping him over Pesce 10 times out of 10 if I need to choose.

Skjei and Slavin were men posessed last night.

A few Canes found that next gear they needed. Skjei, Slavin, JK, Nachos....

Nachos man...you could tell he wanted the puck all night and was confident he was going to be the difference in the game. Really encouraging b/c the first couple games he had a bit of happy feet. He even crushed some dude in the 1st period iirc.

LBS I Digress

Jan 30, 2022
Diggin In
You must not be a big fan of Orlov win or lose. His +/- tonight was even. He looked good at times on offense.

Baby steps. It's game 8; there are 82 games in a season.

I do believe it's only a matter of time that he scores his 1st.

I mean, we won the game and that's what matters. Orlov had a better game than Burns.

Unlike some fans I'm willing to be patient with the new guy.
He was definitely better last night, but I will say I tried to focus on him being at the game and he still did some alarming things.

It’s kind of crazy how often he’ll just stand in the middle of the ice on defense. We play so much man on man and it looks like he’s either out of shape or he just gives up halfway through a teams possession (I don’t know if he just doesn’t wanna chase, gets super frustrated, or what) and just reverts back to standing in the middle of the ice, which eventually takes guys out of position.

Watching him in OT was frustrating, he stayed out there for a LONG shift and again stood in the middle of the ice half the time, not picking up a man. He was pretty clearly playing a zone and took Brady out of position a couple times.

I wouldn’t say Brent ever looked quite this out of place, but he has mostly got to play with Slavin. Hopefully it really is just a systems thing and maybe confidence is also playing a factor, he doesn’t look very decisive on the offensive end either and his shot is kind of a wet noodle rn.

Just 8 games in, lots of time still to figure it out, but his learning curve still looks like it’s gonna be a whole lot steeper than some of the others guys that have come through here.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Orlov gives up and stands around a LOT. Thank god I'm not the only one who notices it.

I don't really know much about Orlov's history as a player on other teams. My guess is he wouldn't be on this team, and have received the $$ he did, if he was lazy. I think he's a fish out of water. Carolina is one of the best defensively structured teams in the league historically. Although, so far this season that's certainly not true but it's early. I think the more likely speculation is that he literally doesn't know what he's doing in this system yet, and our system isn't really up to par yet either.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
I think he needs some time I mean he DID win a Cup with Washington.

My opinion may change if he's still playing like this in January (when Burns took off) and Burns may not have been as bad as Orlov but Burns was playing with Slavin so any problems he had defensively when he got here Slavin covered for him. Orlovs have been magnified because he's not playing with Slavin.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
1698424123684.png

He's 88th all-time in career OT goals.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
So we need to hypnotize Necas into thinking it's OT when he shoots the puck so he starts picking corners more and not just hitting the goalie in the crest.

I swear he had about 3 glorious looks in the 3rd and hit the goalie center mass each time. Gets his one good look in OT and picks the corner...
Lol yeah, although a lot more time and space in 3v3 to get the perfect shot off than in 5v5. Even if you do have the time at 5v5 there is a thought in your head that you won't have it for long and guys don't have the patience because they think they have less time than they really have (having a feel and sense for where everyone is on the ice is a hugely underrated skill/trait that the best develop). If Necas can develop that and develop an elite shot man he could be one of the best wingers in the entire league. Insane upside still

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Orlov gives up and stands around a LOT. Thank god I'm not the only one who notices it.

Another thing I've noticed about him is he doesn't give much thought about whether a pinch is smart or not. He's determined to pinch and seal the wall or pinch and attempt to stop a pass without much regard about what happens if the puck gets by him.

Which is why you'll often see him be the guy coming up the ice on odd-man rushes or breakaways.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Another thing I've noticed about him is he doesn't give much thought about whether a pinch is smart or not. He's determined to pinch and seal the wall or pinch and attempt to stop a pass without much regard about what happens if the puck gets by him.

Which is why you'll often see him be the guy coming up the ice on odd-man rushes or breakaways.

I've certainly noticed some bad pinches from him. That seems like something that could be be managed, and/or fixed via coaching and repetition. That's not to say it will. Tony has been guilty of it too. Let's see how these guys look in a month or 2.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
View attachment 758825

He's 88th all-time in career OT goals.

That's an insane stat because

a) he's 88th all time
b) he's 24, way fewer gp than everyone else
c) it's his jersey #!

When looking at that stat some caveats are in order:

Regular season
  • No OT in the NHL at all between 1942 and 1983.
  • '83-'98: 5 minute 5-on-5 OT, then tie.
  • '99-2015: 5 min 4-on-4 OT, then tie or shootout.
  • '16-present: 5 min 3-on-3 OT, then shootout.

Necas has played in the NHL era where it's the easiest (possible) to score an OT goal. I'm noting that just to put things in a historical perspective, not to diminish what he's done for the Canes; he's won us a lot of games in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad