GDT: seacar

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That play from Skjei on the 2nd goal was just… wow.

As it stands I’m keeping him over Pesce 10 times out of 10 if I need to choose.
Skjei is going to age worse than Pesce because he relies a lot on God given ability that will deteriorate over time. I wouldn’t sign either of them fit more than 3 years, and they can both get 5 or more on the open market.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I’m really glad we scored with 9 seconds left.

But also, just do 3v3 until someone scores. Shootout can be killed now, 3v3 is the perfect OT format no notes.

Skjei is going to age worse than Pesce because he relies a lot on God given ability that will deteriorate over time. I wouldn’t sign either of them fit more than 3 years, and they can both get 5 or more on the open market.

I agree from a play style perspective but somehow that doesn’t stop Pesce from hurting himself all the damn time lol.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015

I love Pesce to death, the emergence of him and Slavin (along with drafting Aho) are the foundation of this teams current success.

But I really question his ability to keep pace with top players/teams over the next few seasons. Hell depending on his recent mystery injury and surgery he might loose half a step or so this season.

Great win. They really needed that one.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

I feel like opinion is going to shift tremendously based on the waves of the season. Personally, though, I'm still pro-Pesce as far as the re-signing camp is concerned. The value of really good RHD cannot be understated. I'm not going to let a slow start cloud my opinion too much about our team.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’ve thought that Skjei would age better than Pesce due to his high-end skating. Pesce already seems to have slowed a bit. I’d rather they keep Pesce on a reasonable deal, due to the lack of quality RD throughout the league, but I wouldn’t be too upset if Skjei is kept over Pesce. He’s certainly peaking later than normal.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I know this isn't the popular opinion but TDA was really good at D tonight. Also that 3rd period was the foundation of Caens Hockey and pretty much the first time we saw it this year
He was surprisingly decent defensively his first stint here, too. Our system is very different from that of most teams, and it definitely requires adjustment, and some players are suited to play that way even when they may struggle in other schemes. I'm not shocked that having played here before TDA is getting back in that groove a lot sooner than it'll be before Orlov finds it. I'm still not panicking on that front. He's got talent.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Seattle played a style of team defense, that for the most part, forced Carolina to take a lot of more perimeter shots. They typically had at least 2 guys back so as to minimize odd man rushes. They also packed their 5 guys in more tightly and didn't really pressure the point or outside edges. East-west passing was brought up above (I think by NDP) and Seattle did a good job at preventing those passes from getting through with the style they played. They also blocked a fair number of shots.

The two goals we scored, they failed to prevent those cross ice passes because they lost structure. First, Dumoulin fell and left team both handed and scrambling and the Canes took advantage. On the 2nd goal, after Skjei skated it up ice, it was basically a 4 on 3, again, not letting Seattle prevent the cross ice passes as they were outnumbered and again scrambling.

good comeback and good to see Freddie play well. Team is going to need that until they get all the hiccups sorted out.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I’ve thought that Skjei would age better than Pesce due to his high-end skating. Pesce already seems to have slowed a bit. I’d rather they keep Pesce on a reasonable deal, due to the lack of quality RD throughout the league, but I wouldn’t be too upset if Skjei is kept over Pesce. He’s certainly peaking later than normal.
Thing is, Skjei is going to get PAID...and rightfully so. He significantly contributes to the game offensively and has rounded out his defense and overall game the past few years. Then he'll randomly throw a huge rogue hit every once in a while. I agree that with his skating I think he'll age better, plus Pesce giving some foot speed and injury concerns the past 2 seasons, which may limit or lower his offers/interest. I'd love to keep Skjei but with Orlov I don't think we can afford what he'll ask

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
He's a talented f***er. No one can deny that. He just needs to get his head together.

Overall, though, fantastic game. That's more the Canes we know and love.
Orlov is reminding me of Burns at the start of last season. Just fighting his instincts from years of play.

But Burns was always a bit of a unicorn allowed to roam freely on offense. I think Orlov is still getting used to that idea.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I want to say it was last year or the year before the Canes won a game similar to this that ended a slump and they went on a heater afterwards.

Will history repeat? Maybe. But it feels good to win again.
I did do the GDTs for our record win streak…

I love Skjei and agree but he’ll be more expensive and we have Orlov then Nikishin and Slavin on the left side. Either we keep Pesce or both walk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad