Seabrook vs Toews ---- Who has the worst contract?

Which player has the worst contract?

• Total voters

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Pretty straight forward question.... Which player has the more worse contract?

Brent Seabrook
Age 32 (turning 33 in a month)
$6.885 million AAV for 6 more years after this one
or
Jonathan Toews
Age 29 (turning 30 in a month)
$10.5 million AAV for 5 more years after this one

I think Toews is still is still a really good center, but having an 8 figure cap hit is tough for what he brings.
Seabrook used to be a top pairing d-man now everyone except Kieth who plays with him struggles, and he is really slow.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I voted Toews but wish I could change my vote to Seabrook. I thought about it for a bit, and Toews can be just pushed up and down the lineup as needed and is still a very effective faceoff guy (one of the best in the league actually) so he could be effective on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th line (as much as that would kill Chicago to put that much money down there). For Seabrook, there are only 6 dmen. 7th being scratched. You don't want him turning into that 7th dman who is constantly scratched (he's heading that way if they get some better young dmen up there). That would be just brutal. At least Toews would be good on a 4.5m-5m maybe 6m contract. Seabrook? Nope.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Toews is still a low end 1C and even if he's a 2C he's still a valuable player. Good defense and 50 points or so for the next 5 years isn't worth $10m but it's still a good player and probably worth $6m. Seabrook is going to be a 3rd pairing defenseman as soon as next year and those guys can be had for under $2m.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Toews is still a low end 1C and even if he's a 2C he's still a valuable player. Good defense and 50 points or so for the next 5 years isn't worth $10m but it's still a good player and probably worth $6m. Seabrook is going to be a 3rd pairing defenseman as soon as next year and those guys can be had for under $2m.

I’m pretty sure Seabrook is already a 3rd pairing defenseman

Reactions: Kcb12345

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Seabrook is a healthy scratch or third pairing D. Toews is still the #1C and an elite two way player.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Toews is still an elite player.

Going into a playoff series today there are not many centers i chose above him.

Is he overpaid? Sure maybe. But he' still a great player

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
One is a third pairing D with a 6.85 million dollar contract for the next 6 years.
One is a low end 1 C/high end 2C with a 10.5 million dollar contract for the next 5 years.

It's kind of like playing russian roulette to be honest.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It's pretty clearly Seabrook.

Say both of these guys hit the open market this off season, what would they get. I think Toews would get at least the Radulov deal, probably more. Seabrook would be looking at a 2 mil dollar deal and teams would be scared to give him more than 2 years.

Seabrook is barely an NHL level defenseman at this time and therefor it's almost assured that he wont be over the course of the deal. Toews is obviously overpaid but is a low end 1C or high end 2C currently and will most likely be an productive player over the course of the deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Easily Seabrook.
His body is just worn down. No speed, no reflexes, no hands anymore.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'd take Toews on the Habs even though he's overpaid.

Seabrook has negative value.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Toews is still a number 1 center in the nhl and seabrook is struggling to be in the nhl right now. Seabs should probably be benched by the way he's been playing for the Hawks.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Both have negative trade value but this is for sure seabrook. He's 4 years older at the end of his contract and he is much worse now than toews.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Both have negative trade value but this is for sure seabrook. He's 4 years older at the end of his contract and he is much worse now than toews.

I think any team that could afford Toews' contract would be lining up to give up good value for him in a trade.

His reputation probably plays a big role in that, but he's a good player nonetheless. If Gomez could fetch value at the time, I wouldn't expect Toews to have negative value.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad