Confirmed Trade: [SEA/MIN] Victor Rask (@50%) for future considerations

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Was the deadline at 3:00pm Pacific time, this is the first I’ve seen of this trade and it’s dam near 6:30pm eastern.

Blame Lindros getting traded twice at the same time, the league instituted the trade call to avoid that from happening against. Mix in salary retention, salary cap, NTCs, etc and there's just boxes to check. As others mentioned, 33 trades in queue at 3pm EST. Each trade call might take 5-10 minutes to process and voila, we're still waiting for some details 3+ hours later.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Why would Seattle make this trade?
Makes no sense unless there is some off-season trade to be made to get us value. Seems like favor for the Wild since we have a lot of cap space available.

Despite all the trades we made, we still had 12 F on our roster with the option to call up True or McCormick from the AHL. Both have seen a few games this season and its not like Rask will make that much of a difference on our roster.

Reactions: Jacob582

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Only people it hurts are the owners, fortunately. I think we should have gotten more for taking on half that garbage deal though, just from a business perspective.

You think Seattle should have gotten something for taking on 50% of an expiring contract with a month left in the season?

Reactions: Sota Popinski

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Makes no sense unless there is some off-season trade to be made to get us value. Seems like favor for the Wild since we have a lot of cap space available.

Despite all the trades we made, we still had 12 F on our roster with the option to call up True or McCormick from the AHL. Both have seen a few games this season and its not like Rask will make that much of a difference on our roster.

It's not a favor for the Wild.

It's a favor to Rask from Francis(his old GM that gave him the contract)and BG to let him get some NHL games in before the offseason.

Reactions: PuckInTheNards

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
You think Seattle should have gotten something for taking on 50% of an expiring contract with a month left in the season?
There was a time I would have wanted Victor Rask on my team, but something went wrong with the guy. Hopefully Hakstol (lol) can fix that. As for wanting a pick for a cap dump…. Clearly that’s not what this is to Seattle (weirdly), so it’s just Seattle taking a freebie for a terribly overpaid player who was sent down this season.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
There was a time I would have wanted Victor Rask on my team, but something went wrong with the guy. Hopefully Hakstol (lol) can fix that. As for wanting a pick for a cap dump…. Clearly that’s not what this is to Seattle (weirdly), so it’s just Seattle taking a freebie for a terribly overpaid player who was sent down this season.

Well, the weird thing is the Wild didn't need the additional cap space. So it's most likely just a move to give Rask a chance of playing in the NHL.

Reactions: Tryamw

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Being traded at 50% retention and still not being able to bring back more than future considerations… that’s gotta sting

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

McCormick and True are terrible, Rask isn't anything special but he's better than those two. They can stay and help in the AHL while the Kraken have a more competent bottom 6 player.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
McCormick and True are terrible, Rask isn't anything special but he's better than those two. They can stay and help in the AHL while the Kraken have a more competent bottom 6 player.
I know the Kraken are an expansion team but the Canes management moved on from Rask before they were a good team. I dont know if competent is the correct word.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Right. I am not going to argue that. My point is that there was no real need to make that move for Rask. It was not driven by roster needs. Either doing the Wild a favor or Francis really likes Rask. I doubt its the latter though because we never claimed him when he was waived.

I think Rask is a very serviceable NHL player but his cap hit is too high.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Right. I am not going to argue that. My point is that there was no real need to make that move for Rask. It was not driven by roster needs. Either doing the Wild a favor or Francis really likes Rask. I doubt its the latter though because we never claimed him when he was waived.

I think Rask is a very serviceable NHL player but his cap hit is too high.

No one is going to claim a player with a 4M caphit. Francis probably wanted him but only if Minnesota made it worthwhile and paying half his salary does that. I need to watch him to see if his skating improved any but he's a better player than Sheahan. So most likely a tryout to see if they want to sign him to a deal for next year. Think he would be a good 4C for the right price.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
End of an era in MN. There was Gaborik, Koivu, Suter & Parise, then Victor Rask.

Last edited:
Reactions: poobags

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
MIN (7) DAL 2] Victor rask with goal of the year candidate beautiful snipe.  : r/hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad