Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] Marcus Johansson signs with the Kraken (1 year, $1.5M)

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Great third liner, might flourish as a second liner.
4af7c8b5f5c360d90f41e2c5f09a7941a17cf0e6.gifv

Rask Decisions

Don't take it too seriously
Jul 6, 2006
Keansburg NJ
A lot of people see value here...I see a guy who will be 31 when the season starts who skates pretty and has a bit of playmaking but has an intense lack of physicality and goal-scoring "bite" who can go huge stretches with being completely invisible on the ice and scores at a marginal third line rate despite plenty of ice time and who has been declining consistently over the last 5 years.

He's fine as a stop-gap player (at center I guess even though he's not a center). But I'd say this could be Johansson's last chance to extend his NHL career before he's back home in the SHL. He was an exceedingly poor and ineffective NHL player last year.

This is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent post. And I mean that!

Stop-gap player is a great description of MoJo at this point in his career.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
It's funny to see the reactions and hopes that he can be a serviceable middle 6 player who can play center. Exact thoughts I had when he came to the Wild. He was a waste of a roster spot when he managed to actually be healthy.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
It's funny to see the reactions and hopes that he can be a serviceable middle 6 player who can play center. Exact thoughts I had when he came to the Wild. He was a waste of a roster spot when he managed to actually be healthy.
Another decision in which Guerin showed that he‘s not only going to be dick, but also stupid.

Reactions: 57special

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

May the amount he was being paid by Minnesota, yeah.. you should be pissed. 1.5m is practically play money by comparison.

Reactions: brewski420

Goose312

May 15, 2015
May the amount he was being paid by Minnesota, yeah.. you should be pissed. 1.5m is practically play money by comparison.
I'm not sure what about my post makes you think the issue was his contract? The free space on the Wild bingo card was "Johansson gives it up." His play with the Wild wasn't worth the roster spot if he was playing for free.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
All very fine players.

And I’m sure a handful will flourish with the extra ice-time (like Karlsson and Marschessault did in Vegas).

But holy smokes is there no “wow” factor in that lineup. The defense is three 2nd-pairings, and the offense is four 2B-lines. Lot’s of grinding hockey to be played.
We said that about Vegas as well. When a franchise has a fresh start and the coach as well everything is much simpler than the garbage that drenches the traditional teams. I think this team can do fairly well.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I was so pumped when this dude came to Buffalo and he was majorly meh- got worse on the wild, I’m hoping he turns it around though.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He had some really good years, but those injuries are a big question mark.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There was a time where Johansson was one of my favourite sort of “underrated”players, and he was fun to watch. But he really just isn’t that guy anymore. Injuries have taken there toll here.

Maybe the ability is still there, and at this price...it’s a pretty easy gamble to take. But it’s been sad to watch his career kind of come off the rails with the injuries and hits he’s taken. Just feels like rummaging around the damaged goods clearance bin for something at this point though. I’d take him on the Canucks at that price. But he’s an awkward fit, really more of a complementary Top-6 guy, who isn’t quite good enough for that role anymore.

Reactions: BHD and Seiza

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
There was a time where Johansson was one of my favourite sort of “underrated”players, and he was fun to watch. But he really just isn’t that guy anymore. Injuries have taken there toll here.

Maybe the ability is still there, and at this price...it’s a pretty easy gamble to take. But it’s been sad to watch his career kind of come off the rails with the injuries and hits he’s taken. Just feels like rummaging around the damaged goods clearance bin for something at this point though. I’d take him on the Canucks at that price. But he’s an awkward fit, really more of a complementary Top-6 guy, who isn’t quite good enough for that role anymore.

This sums it up pretty good IMO. Mojo can play hockey, but injuries played a big part in his decline as a player. I think he can still contribute on the Kraken roster. Maybe he got a bit more dollars than he deserves, but veterans tend to get paid that extra dollar based on what they used to be able to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad