Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] Alex Wennberg signing with the Kraken (3 years, $4.5M AAV)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Maybe he's another Wild Bill, but this looks like one of the worst signings this Free Agency. A contract Francis would ask for a 1st and top prospect to take on.

Reactions: Gurglesons

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Perfect length for the contract. Thought 4 x 4 so paying 500k more and one year less is even better. Really underrated two way player. Was much better in Florida last year than what people remember from Columbus. Not sure what people are upset with Francis about? This guy is actually useful unlike the crap Arizona got.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Perfect length for the contract. Thought 4 x 4 so paying 500k more and one year less is even better. Really underrated two way player. Was much better in Florida last year than what people remember from Columbus. Not sure what people are upset with Francis about? This guy is actually useful unlike the crap Arizona got.
Group think is powerful. I don’t get it either.

Reactions: bleedgreen

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Maybe he's another Wild Bill, but this looks like one of the worst signings this Free Agency. A contract Francis would ask for a 1st and top prospect to take on.

This is hilarious and totally true. If someone offered Francis Wennberg on this contract in a trade is there any chance he would say yes?

Reactions: abo9

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Anyone that says Wennberg is a 2C did not watch the Panthers last year. He was basically invisible for 95% of games and he had a couple of flashes of brilliance but he is definitely better fit at 3C. He doesn't really do anything wrong, he just doesn't really do much of anything.

I think 2.5-2.8AAV would be the perfect contract for AW. This is a steep overpayment.

Reactions: Gurglesons

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Anyone that says Wennberg is a 2C did not watch the Panthers last year. He was basically invisible for 95% of games and he had a couple of flashes of brilliance but he is definitely better fit at 3C. He doesn't really do anything wrong, he just doesn't really do much of anything.

I think 2.5-2.8AAV would be the perfect contract for AW. This is a steep overpayment.
Lol he put up top 6 production on a playoff team last season. As their 2C.

This is not steep. It’s actually good value and short term.

When you can play with skill like Huberdeau and that player thrives it’s a good thing. He can be a 2C easily.

Genu

Mar 19, 2011
Finland

When you can play with skill like Huberdeau and that player thrives it’s a good thing. He can be a 2C easily.
Sure he can be a 2C. Probably not that good one. Didn't Bennett do much better job with Huberdeau after the trade?

Reactions: MoeBartoli

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

I love how everyone was crapping on Tyler Johnson and how Seattle should not touch it with a 10 feet pole.

Now they signed their own Tyler Johnson for free!

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Sure he can be a 2C. Probably not that good one. Didn't Bennett do much better job with Huberdeau after the trade?
It cost Florida $3.5m and an extra year to lock up Bennett who was a 3rd/4th liner in Calgary for his whole career. It’s not a bad contract.

There’s no Huberdeau but there is talent.

Seattle is going to have 3 second lines.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

He shot over 20%. That's a hell of a bet for a guy that wont be playing with a Huberdeau.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
at 2, 3M maybe. Not an anchor contract but i doubt he replicates florida's magic

He won't score that much again, maybe 12 goals or something. But keep in mind this is a very strong defensive center. He's kind of the perfect 3C. A bit too much $$ but he's a good player.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Seattle is getting a lot of grief right now but IMO they'll be able to out-defend every team in their division but the Golden Knights and do so by a considerable enough margin to get into the playoffs.

Wennberg kind fits in that scheme. Add him to a whole pile of defensively astute forwards, very solid D and quality goaltending, they might do all right.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Yes, and to be fair to him Columbus wishes they kept him.
I think I’d have preferred Wennberg over Danault if Wennberg were at $3.5M, but both ended up with salaries that exceeds their value (though admittedly the open market placed their value otherwise).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think I’d have preferred Wennberg over Danault if Wennberg were at $3.5M, but both ended up with salaries that exceeds their value (though admittedly the open market placed their value otherwise).

True but imagine we could have Wennberg at 1 year $4.9m right now. That would be perfect. He'd go between Laine and Voracek, the only center around who both passes well and is strong enough defensively to handle that situation. I wouldn't want to extend Wennberg long term at that number.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad