Trade: [SD/WSH] Juan Soto and Josh Bell to San Diego for Luke Voit, CJ Abrams, MacKenzie Gore, Robert Hassell III, James Wood & Jarlin Susana

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Mediocre isn't bad though. I know I'd kill to have Hosmer at no money for the Pirates because of the alternatives :laugh:
I get the opinion but you guys are in very deep rebuild. Hosmer is not starter for serious team.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Padres are going to eat most if not all of Hosmer costs he would be good pickup for someone like Seattle

He can play some 1B rotating with Ty France or DH

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Their owner isn't that rich(for mlb standards) , how are they affording this?
Not rich by mlb standards still means abso-f***ing-lutely loaded.

E: In other words, they all can afford this shit. They cry poor to keep the prices down, but they all can afford a hell of a lot more than they're currently paying.

Last edited:

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Hosmer 2018-2022 - 103 OPS+, .325 OBP, WAR under 6.5 totally.

He's mediocre.
This is not mediocre for a 1B. But why would the Padres include a negative value-player when they already had to pay a hefty price for Soto and Bell?

The return for the Nationals seems solid to me. Five players and each is projected to have at least above-average potential. Prospects are just prospects, but Adams, Gore and Hassell are as blue-chip as it gets and Wood has tantalizing potential.

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: grentthealien

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't understand why Hosmer HAS TO be involved. Why can't San Diego just pull him from the deal and put somebody else in there as a salary dump? It's not like he does anything for Washington.

Yeah, I don't see the deal falling apart if Hosmer refuses to waive his NTC

I assume he was included to make the salaries work, and to clear a spot for Bell at 1B, not because the Nationals were insisting he be involved, so I imagine they'll just complete the trade without him if need be

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Lesson as always is clear it with player who has NTC/NMC before putting a trade together with him involved knowing team you're trading with is on his list

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well the smart thing was to make sure you had a trade if he didn't go, which sounds like they have. Hosmer just becomes a bench guy who isn't active for the playoffs.

Reactions: southsideIrish

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
That's awesome he blocked it... That was a shitty thing to do by San Diego .... Hoping the pressure of announcing the deal would make him agree to move across the country to a rebuilding team... Screw that

Well done Eric

Yes, poor Eric Hosmer

Can you imagine how sad his life would've been had the Padres paid him 21 million each of the last 5 seasons, and then traded him to another MLB team so they could acquire a 23 year old future Hall of Famer?

That would've been some Shakespeare level tragedy right there!

Reactions: southsideIrish

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think the Nats knew that their leverage shrinks every day. I think anyone offering a deal involving a few high end prospects was going to be in good shape to get Soto.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
nats going from a title to this in 3 years is pretty incredible

only the marlins went to shit faster after winning it all

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They didn't need to move both of Voit and Hosmer, did they?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
They didn't need to move both of Voit and Hosmer, did they?

Do you mean in terms of dodging the luxury tax or just baseball reasons?

Baseball reasons: Bell plays 1B and Myers DH's. Would not put it past Preller to do something else before the deadline either.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Do you mean in terms of dodging the luxury tax or just baseball reasons?

Baseball reasons: Bell plays 1B and Myers DH's. Would not put it past Preller to do something else before the deadline either.
Just for the luxury tax

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
ESPN is calling Soto maybe the best young player ever?? Idk seems way over the top, he hasn't even hit that well this season and his WS run has made his hype enormous

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Just for the luxury tax

Luxury tax info is not simple to track, it seems they were just under the 230 M at the start of the season though. I am not sure if when you make a trade the full amount of the salary counts or its pro-rated.

San Diego, the only team other than the Dodgers to pay tax last year, began this season $694,982 below the initial $230 million threshold.

In terms of full season salaries, Soto and Bell = 27 M.

Voit is 5.45 M. So deleting him means adding 22.5 M.

Unclear how much trading Hosmer to BOS saves them.

So this trade gets them beyond the 230 M for sure (20% fee), the question is does it get them beyond the 250 M threshold (32% fee)?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yes, poor Eric Hosmer

Can you imagine how sad his life would've been had the Padres paid him 21 million each of the last 5 seasons, and then traded him to another MLB team so they could acquire a 23 year old future Hall of Famer?

That would've been some Shakespeare level tragedy right there!

He's lucky he got that deal in the first place

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2