Trade: [SD/TB] Blake Snell to the Padres for Luis Patino, Francisco Mejia, Blake Hunt and Cole Wilcox

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
At least Snell won't have to worry about being pulled after five innings lol

My goodness Tampa napalmed their two best starters, talk about doubling down on the whole opener approach.
These two starters could have been retained for $ 25m. That's less than several teams pay one starter.

Gruß,
BSHH

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
They didn't give that much for Clevinger, Darvish and Snell. Patino is promising but still... Not to mention they literallly steal Grisham and Cronenworth.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Snell's track record is a bit inconsistent, but on a very high level. The Padres wanted a pitcher with TOR potential and they got one.

If we project Snell to produce 10 WAR over the next three years minus his total salary of $ 30m (which might be even on the lower side), there is an excess value of $ 50m. Patino alone might very well top that, but he is still rather unproven. The Padres' window of contention is wide open now, so they just could not wait on Patino. I see why Preller made this trade.

After the Rays refused to retain Morton, it is at least consequential to sell high on Snell. Although this franchise develops very good players at an amazing rate and has a lot of top prospects still in stock, I think Tampa Bay will have to bite the bullet and stand to pay some players 8-figure salaries eventually, if they want to play in the WS again. Patino is a highly praised prospect and his 3-pitch arsenal could be utilised even better through the Rays' hybrid pitching philosophy.

Gruß,
BSHH

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Snell's track record is a bit inconsistent, but on a very high level. The Padres wanted a pitcher with TOR potential and they got one.

If we project Snell to produce 10 WAR over the next three years minus his total salary of $ 30m (which might be even on the lower side), there is an excess value of $ 50m. Patino alone might very well top that, but he is still rather unproven. The Padres' window of contention is wide open now, so they just could not wait on Patino. I see why Preller made this trade.

After the Rays refused to retain Morton, it is at least consequential to sell high on Snell. Although this franchise develops very good players at an amazing rate and has a lot of top prospects still in stock, I think Tampa Bay will have to bite the bullet and stand to pay some players 8-figure salaries eventually, if they want to play in the WS again. Patino is a highly praised prospect and his 3-pitch arsenal could be utilised even better through the Rays' hybrid pitching philosophy.

Gruß,
BSHH
Tampa is a cheap pissant organization like Milwaukee.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Snell also moving out of the AL East where there a ton of mashers and homer happy parks and going to the roomy NL West could also help him continue to pitch at an elite level.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
The timing is awful, but the Rays can make the total value of this deal work in their favor. Has the potential to be a long term win-win.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Is it really selling when the team will likely have a better win% than last year?

Plus, it's not like Cash would use Snell to his full potential, anyway.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Is it really selling when the team will likely have a better win% than last year?

I could be very wrong but I have a hard time believing that the Rays will have a better record next year after losing Snell AND Morton

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I could be very wrong but I have a hard time believing that the Rays will have a better record next year after losing Snell AND Morton

They do have plenty of internal options with Honeywell, Fleming, McKay and Patino.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

I don't think they'll have a better win % but they are still a playoffs team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
2 wins away from World Series win and Rays are selling?

What a disgraceful organization.

Its best not to question the Rays. Remember when people crapped on them for trading Archer? For trading Shields?

Rays have been selling their top guys for a long time, so this trade shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. They will still compete.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Its best not to question the Rays. Remember when people crapped on them for trading Archer? For trading Shields?

Rays have been selling their top guys for a long time, so this trade shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. They will still compete.
It’s a matter of principle. What a disgrace. Spend some f***ing money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad