Trade: [SD/TB] Blake Snell to the Padres for Luis Patino, Francisco Mejia, Blake Hunt and Cole Wilcox

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
what happened to mejia? wasn't he one of the top rates C prospects at one point?

feel like TB could've gotten more

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At least Snell won't have to worry about being pulled after five innings lol

My goodness Tampa napalmed their two best starters, talk about doubling down on the whole opener approach.

Reactions: DoyleG

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Called it after the WS. I wouldn’t be surprised if after Snell getting pulled by Cash there was a bit of a ‘Patrick Roy’ moment and Snell made it known to management that he wanted out.

I’ll have to read up more on these prospects but it seems like a weak ass return for a #1 pitcher.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Baseball should move to some new ownership and management structure in order to allow Preller to manage multiple teams so that the winter can be even more fun.

Reactions: BSHH

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
It feels like Tampa is predicting a Snell injury in the next year or two. Not much immediate help..Mejia has a clear path to playing time but he needs to improve behind the plate and at the dish.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
As much as the deal looks like shit for the Rays, watch as they inexplicably continue to compete. They've been working this scheme for years and it's resulted in only one really bad year in 2016 while the rest have been good to passable.

The Rays will either pull some legit starters out of their ass or rob a team in a trade again like they did the Pirates for Archer and the cycle will continue.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wilcox was the Padres 3rd round pick in 2020, so he has yet to play a pro game.

I don't follow the MLB draft with much vigor, but I was surprised to read that the Padres gave him a 3.3 mil bonus. It seemed like Wilcox had first round talent, but most teams figured he was going back to school / weren't prepared to give him that type of money.

what happened to mejia? wasn't he one of the top rates C prospects at one point?

He was supposed to be the anti-Austin Hedges (good bat, questionable behind the plate) but Mejia hasn't been able to hit in the majors yet. Still relatively young, maybe his career arc mirrors something like another catcher that the Padres traded in Yasmani Grandal?

Sep 19, 2008
Blake Snell is my good friend. He plays the Nudy Duty on the Twitch.

Closer to the West Coast now. Good for him. Also in the NL. Eager to see him every year now when he comes to DC.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Padres about to acquire Darvish.

Lamet, Yu, Snell, Paddack and Davies. Wooow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad