Trade: [SD/TB] Blake Snell to the Padres for Luis Patino, Francisco Mejia, Blake Hunt and Cole Wilcox

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah that's it. Just shut the door.

They've had more success during their existence than teams in a much bigger market.
Continuously having to sell players because ownership either can't or won't spend to win is disgusting, and should not be praised.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
White Sox fan I take it?

Not Oakland's fault you waited a year too long to get a good manager and #3 starter.
Yeah, but that's not what I'm talking about at all. It's about the way that the Rays and As have gamed the system by being able to be competitive while not spending on player talent. The Rays have like a 60M payroll and they were just in the world series. It has come to the point, in all sports where signing free agents is seen by fans as dumb the majority of the time. The owners have won the PR battle. It's horrible for the players. There's a streak of anti-competitiveness in baseball and it's horrible for the game.

What good is payroll flexibility if you never use it?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, but that's not what I'm talking about at all. It's about the way that the Rays and As have gamed the system by being able to be competitive while not spending on player talent. The Rays have like a 60M payroll and they were just in the world series. It has come to the point, in all sports where signing free agents is seen by fans as dumb the majority of the time. The owners have won the PR battle. It's horrible for the players.

What good is payroll flexibility if you never use it?
Oh, how nice of the league to allow them to be competitive! Yes, the same league that hasn't done a f***ing thing to help Oakland with their stadium situation when Selig bent down forward for the Giants. Oakland has a rich ownership but it makes 0 sense to spend when you make nothing off your stadium and have the shittiest tv deal in baseball because of those same Giants.

Perhaps you should look at the inflated payroll of all these shitty teams next to their rosters and see where they're spending wrong.

Also, did you have a single issue when the Astros openly tanked for 3-4 years with a payroll of less than 20 million when they profit hand over fist through their stadium and tv deals?

Besides talent analysis and development, people often ignore the actual business side. Tampa and Oakland currently have constraints no one else has to deal with, and win. How anyone can badmouth their style is beyond me.

Reactions: BSHH

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Oh, how nice of the league to allow them to be competitive! Yes, the same league that hasn't done a f***ing thing to help Oakland with their stadium situation when Selig bent down forward for the Giants. Oakland has a rich ownership but it makes 0 sense to spend when you make nothing off your stadium and have the shittiest tv deal in baseball because of those same Giants.

Perhaps you should look at the inflated payroll of all these shitty teams next to their rosters and see where they're spending wrong.

Also, did you have a single issue when the Astros openly tanked for 3-4 years with a payroll of less than 20 million when they profit hand over fist through their stadium and tv deals?

Besides talent analysis and development, people often ignore the actual business side. Tampa and Oakland currently have constraints no one else has to deal with, and win. How anyone can badmouth their style is beyond me.
It's one thing if it was only Oakland and Tampa(and teams like Pittsburgh and KC) but now that mindset is creeping into the larger markets. That's where the problem lies.

I am a White Sox fan and to me it is quite disgusting that the Cubs are crying poor and going for the efficiency model. The Cubs are in the same category as the Yankees and Dodgers when it comes to printing money and they should be able to re-sign a couple of their players but they're not going to do it, instead tanking yet again. The first time it made sense, because they were awful. This time it doesn't make any sense.

I have no issues with the Astros and White Sox tanking because they were bad anyway with no end in sight.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It's one thing if it was only Oakland and Tampa, but now that mindset is creeping into the larger markets. That's where the problem lies.
But that isn't really an Oakland/Tampa cause. The players screwed themselves in the last couple of cba negotiations for small rewards. Owners have no incentive to spend big right now because they hold all the cards with the current cba about to expire.

I agree that this needs to be worked out, but I don't believe the league is modeling itself after these teams intentionally.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
But that isn't really an Oakland/Tampa cause. The players screwed themselves in the last couple of cba negotiations for small rewards. Owners have no incentive to spend big right now because they hold all the cards with the current cba about to expire.

I agree that this needs to be worked out, but I don't believe the league is modeling itself after these teams intentionally.

I do....and that's the issue. It's all about suppressing player salaries.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Which the players painted themselves into with poor union negotiations.

They're going to likely need to strike to get their money back. Owners will only budge when they have to.
Yeah it looks that way. Unfortunately for the players, a strike in 2021 does them no good as the owners would actually be appreciative. They're going to have to get bent for another round of negotiations. It should be a short contract coming up so when fans are allowed back, the players can re-negotiate.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That's a different discussion for a different day, but right now, they traded Snell because they couldn't afford to pay him.

They can't spend more, period.

Like they can’t afford to pay him the contract that they signed him to and still he 3 years left on it?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Tampa is always trying to leverage a valuable contract/player for something even better. I'm not a fan of dumping Snell with 3 years left, but they believe they've hit again.

Reactions: Voight

bov

Nov 13, 2010
The Rays limit their young pitchers to keep them as cheap as possible for as long as possible with no intention of ever building a long term star. Takes millions off of future earnings for these players while hiding behind the guise of proper development. It's not about baseball first for this organization, it's hilarious that they still get respect and support.

Reactions: BKIslandersFan

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The Rays limit their young pitchers to keep them as cheap as possible for as long as possible with no intention of ever building a long term star. Takes millions off of future earnings for these players while hiding behind the guise of proper development. It's not about baseball first for this organization, it's hilarious that they still get respect and support.
How is trading a guy with 3 years left in his deal an attempt to suppress his value?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad