Trade: [SD/BOS] Drew Pomeranz to Boston for Anderson Espinoza

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
In some instances you trade a bunch of prospects and none or maybe 1 pan out. In other instances it comes back and bites you on the backside (case in point Colon trade). Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore was the return for Colon.

But I would say the former happens a heck of a lot more than the latter. We all remember the Colon/Zambrano/Bagwell deals because of how lopsided they were...but they are usually few and far between.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
To be fair to Colon he's still going, and was even just named an all star. He was worth a big package at the time.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I'm not going to defend the Colon trade, but just remember at the time Minaya had zero commitment to the Expos long-term, a franchise that was still a candidate to be contracted at the time. It was a completely unique situation. He was there to try and get his next job, so he made that trade. The Expos were 4 games out of the WC on June 28th. They were in it. He also traded for Cliff Floyd a few days later. It was exciting. Unfortunately the team had too many holes to compete despite a solid core and played their worst baseball of the season in July. He also got absolute garbage for Colon the following winter coming off a very good season, which was completely puzzling.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I'm not going to defend the Colon trade, but just remember at the time Minaya had zero commitment to the Expos long-term, a franchise that was still a candidate to be contracted at the time. It was a completely unique situation. He was there to try and get his next job, so he made that trade. The Expos were 4 games out of the WC on June 28th. They were in it. He also traded for Cliff Floyd a few days later. It was exciting. Unfortunately the team had too many holes to compete despite a solid core and played their worst baseball of the season in July. He also got absolute garbage for Colon the following winter coming off a very good season, which was completely puzzling.

if i remember correctly, the expos couldn't call up anyone from the minors when rosters expanded which was another reason why they fell out of it

they were definitely in the race in '02 and most of '03 as well before the same thing happened in terms of not being able to make callups.

acquiring colon was the "all in" move. a terrible move looking back at it now but with it had to be done. same with acquiring floyd but he was god awful in the few weeks he played there before he was dealt again. as you mentioned, the return they got for colon was ridiculously bad. i think a well past his prime el duque was the "big return" they got from chicago

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
I think it was worth the risk. Pomeranz is in his prime and under team contract. Sox need another starter. Espinoza is talented but is far away. Sox have other pitching prospects so I don't mind this move.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I think it was worth the risk. Pomeranz is in his prime and under team contract. Sox need another starter. Espinoza is talented but is far away. Sox have other pitching prospects so I don't mind this move.

That's dubious to say the least.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
To be fair, Pomeranz is under team control for another 2 years after this season, so if he ends up being good in Boston then they made a good deal regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad