Scrivens vs Frattin

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Quick had 3 games and about 1 period.

If I remember right, Quick had three consecutive SO in season 2011/12 and then when everybody expected that he'll try to get all-time NHL record, Terry Murray sits him and Bernier started next game (because he had a plan)...

devilinto

Jan 13, 2006
Hey guys loving ben scrivens.
So yesterday morning i made a post on the leaf board and it was not accepted well.
I simply thanked them for scrivens. They started saying scrivens sucks and the kings got hoses.
I then made some bernier/ leaf jokes, and the shortly there after i recieved an hf boards trolling infraction. Lol
Go kings go

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Frattin will light it up. Just give him some time. Different conference which is partly the same reason for scrivens' success.

This. A new team and adjusting to a system that can be difficult for forwards to pick up, and recovering from a knee injury that can take awhile to get back to 100%. He'll be fine given time. He's already shown flashes of really great play. He'll be fine in the long run.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Scrivens was always the more important of the two players coming back. He was the one replacing Bernier, and whatever Frattin was going to give, or will end up giving, the Kings is a bonus. The Kings needed a cheap backup with Quick's contract kicking in. That Toronto also retained some salary this year only helped to push the Leafs to the forefront.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Scrivens was always the more important of the two players coming back. He was the one replacing Bernier, and whatever Frattin was going to give, or will end up giving, the Kings is a bonus. The Kings needed a cheap backup with Quick's contract kicking in. That Toronto also retained some salary this year only helped to push the Leafs to the forefront.

Given DL's reported near stalking behaviour of Frattin for about three years, I think Frattin was DL's primary target in the trade from the get go.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Yeah, Frattin was very hyped around the time the trade happened. I was personally expecting something like Brown-lite play but even Brown this year hasn't shown much of his fierce style. I don't think anybody thought Scrivens would get more than 20 starts or expected Bernier level goaltending.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Given DL's reported near stalking behaviour of Frattin for about three years, I think Frattin was DL's primary target in the trade from the get go.

Sure, that was certainly part of the equation. If the Flyers were offering Read, but Lombardi loved Frattin, and the Leafs were giving a cheap backup goalie, and the Leafs were retaining salary, then that would be tough to turn down.

The primary target, and most important part of the deal, could be two different things. Not that Lombardi thought Scrivens would do as well as he has so far, or maybe he did. It's just that the Kings themselves would be paying below the league minimum for a goalie with some NHL experience if they got Scrivens. Which is pretty important when the cap is going down, and Quick's contract rockets up by millions of dollars in the same year.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't think anybody thought Scrivens would get more than 20 starts or expected Bernier level goaltending.

What made Scrivens valuable to the Kings didn't have much to do with what he might do on the ice. Now they need what he can do on the ice more than anything though.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Sure, that was certainly part of the equation. If the Flyers were offering Read, but Lombardi loved Frattin, and the Leafs were giving a cheap backup goalie, and the Leafs were retaining salary, then that would be tough to turn down.

The primary target, and most important part of the deal, could be two different things. Not that Lombardi thought Scrivens would do as well as he has so far, or maybe he did. It's just that the Kings themselves would be paying below the league minimum for a goalie with some NHL experience if they got Scrivens. Which is pretty important when the cap is going down, and Quick's contract rockets up by millions of dollars in the same year.

The bulk of the retained cap hit was applied to Frattin's contract.

For Frattin, Toronto is picking up $437,500 of his cap hit ($437,500 is what counts against LA's cap). For Scrivens, Toronto is picking up $62,500, and LA is on the hook for $550,000.

http://www.capgeek.com/mapleleafs/

League minimum is $550,000. The only one the Kings are paying less than the minimum for is Frattin.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The bulk of the retained cap hit was applied to Frattin's contract.

For Frattin, Toronto is picking up $437,500 of his cap hit ($437,500 is what counts against LA's cap). For Scrivens, Toronto is picking up $62,500, and LA is on the hook for $550,000.

http://www.capgeek.com/mapleleafs/

League minimum is $550,000. The only one the Kings are paying less than the minimum for is Frattin.

Fair enough. Still don't think the deal gets done without Scrivens, no matter how much Lombardi loves Frattin, because either way, he's still a very cheap backup.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Definitely WAY more then what I expected with Scrivezina... (didn't notice he was that cheap, so worth the money :D )

But put me on the list who is still waiting. I think when it really comes down to it everyone knows these stats and performances are above what he can maintain long term.

There are still A LOT of brief moments he allows where he is off balance or off his feet and unable to respond to rebounds or passes where he is left out of position... Other teams have simply not been able to capitalize on these yet whether it be due to the Kings D, or bad luck and timing on their part. Given enough time under the focus he has been receiving and teams will learn to exploit these opportunities and we will more get by him.

However he is playing his ****ing face off for now, he is smart and has a good work ethic so hopefully he is able to maintain a relatively high level of play and prove we have a safe backup to give Quick a little more time for rest and practice.

Frattin... Uh... Can't say I ever really notice him on the ice?

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
As a Kings fan who lived in toronto last year and, thus, saw pretty much every leafs game (yes you cannot avoid it in Canada its wonderful), I said right after the trade we would love scrivens. I know its early but he was great last year and a really bright guy. I was happy with the trade... Frattin will come along... lets give him a chance no? so much raw skill.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
20 games, 1 goal and a -7. That is what Matt Frattin has given us.

He is in the line-up instead of Nolan, who has 3 goals in 17 games and is only a -1. That baffles me.

Hell, even Colin "Punching Bag" Fraser is only a -2 and has 1 point in 11 games played.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

He is in the line-up instead of Nolan, who has 3 goals in 17 games and is only a -1. That baffles me.

Hell, even Colin "Punching Bag" Fraser is only a -2 and has 1 point in 11 games played.

Nolan was nursing an injury.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Fair enough. Still don't think the deal gets done without Scrivens, no matter how much Lombardi loves Frattin, because either way, he's still a very cheap backup.

Maybe, I just doubt it. I mean we really could have nabbed a backup elsewhere. Like DL preferred Scrivens because he knew he had upside but I doubt DL was going to nix the deal if scrivens wasn't involved. DL has stated publicly that Toronto was the only team that did more than tirekicking on Bernier.

As well, it was likely an easy add to get Scrivens in the deal since Toronto would have been left with Bernier, Reimer and Scrivens if LA didn't take him.

Come on Johnny, read. I showed that Frats is -2 in the last 15 games (16 now counting NYR). His bad +/- is due to going -5 in 4 games to start the year. He's righted that ship a long time back.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Frattin was awesome in the pre-season, but has been awful in the regular season.

Plus, he is our 3rd line RW. A spot that should be taken by Toffoli when Carter is back.

Our RW should be Williams, Carter, TT, and Nolan. Frattin brings nothing to the 4th line. Nolan is killing it this year and a perfect 4th liner in the playoffs.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Maybe, I just doubt it. I mean we really could have nabbed a backup elsewhere. Like DL preferred Scrivens because he knew he had upside but I doubt DL was going to nix the deal if scrivens wasn't involved. DL has stated publicly that Toronto was the only team that did more than tirekicking on Bernier.

As well, it was likely an easy add to get Scrivens in the deal since Toronto would have been left with Bernier, Reimer and Scrivens if LA didn't take him.

So yeah.... In DL's mind TO made the best offer. DL just values players like Frattin (made evident by Dl's man crush on Frattin) more then less physical players with more skill. This is why Toffoli started the season in the minors. Well and there was no place for Toffoli on the right when Frattin was moved there. With Frattin now on the 3rd/4th line and Toffoli up on the second (and producing) it would appear that DL going with his man crush may not have been the best option. Frattin will get better from where he is now so is this discussion over? Nope. DL just didn't win round one.

RW (when Carter comes back): Williams/Carter/Toffoli/Frattin.
I believe we'll see Nolan moved to the LW. Brown/King/Pearson/Clifford/Carcillo/Nolan.... Pearson gets moved down maybe, Clifford moved, Carcillo/Nolan split time.

Oh yeah, Nino Update: 3G 8A +6 which would put him 4th in points on the kings behind Kopitar, Richards, Williams.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I prefer Scrivens, Frattin and a 2nd over Nino & company. Assuming he was even available to us. The only issue I have is DL thinking that Frattin was going to make an easy transition to LW. You'd think he would have learned something from the Purcell fiasco.

I'd let Frattin play 2RW until Carter comes back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad