Scrivens vs Fasth (poll edition)

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Ok, so it is a bit of a odd question, but assume two things. 1. Scivens in the #1 to start the year, I think this is a given. 2. one of Scrivens or Fasth will be the number #1 at the end of the year. What is the probability that that is still Scrivens.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I put it at 50/50 for now.

I think people are overrating Scrivens and underrating Fasth a bit on hfoil

Oct 30, 2011
It's difficult to predict. Fasth is a little older, but Scrivens has much more experience at the AHL and NHL level. This is partly due to some injury issues for Fasth, but at the end of the day, he has played less games in North America by quite a fair margin.

I think it's most likely that Scrivens will be the starter at the end of the year. Injury could easily change that. If we are in the playoff hunt and Fasth keeps winning, then I could certainly see him taking over(but unless we actually make the playoffs and succeed, Scrivens would probably start the next year as 1st string).

My vote is 75-89.

edit: there's certainly an unknown factor with Fasth. He may very well be underrated, but until he plays more games at the NHL level, it'll be hard to tell.

Barring injury or playoffs, Scrivens will be the starter at the end of the season.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
It's difficult to predict. Fasth is a little older, but Scrivens has much more experience at the AHL and NHL level. This is partly due to some injury issues for Fasth, but at the end of the day, he has played less games in North America by quite a fair margin.

I think it's most likely that Scrivens will be the starter at the end of the year. Injury could easily change that. If we are in the playoff hunt and Fasth keeps winning, then I could certainly see him taking over(but unless we actually make the playoffs and succeed, Scrivens would probably start the next year as 1st string).

My vote is 75-89.

edit: there's certainly an unknown factor with Fasth. He may very well be underrated, but until he plays more games at the NHL level, it'll be hard to tell.

Barring injury or playoffs, Scrivens will be the starter at the end of the season.

Agree, the thing is though he was playing in the SEL which is probably on par to the AHL and put up dominant numbers. has to count for something. Any way, hard to compare both, neither has got to the NHL in a normal way.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Fasth is extremely underrated around here. The only way Scrivens is the undisputed #1 by the end of next year is if Fasth doesn't want to re-sign and is moved at the deadline.

OVOXO*

Scrivens' numbers weren't THAT great. 0.916 SV% and 3.01 GAA, whereas Fasth's were 0.914 SV% and 2.73 GAA. It can go either way.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Scrivens' numbers weren't THAT great. 0.916 SV% and 3.01 GAA, whereas Fasth's were 0.914 SV% and 2.73 GAA. It can go either way.

hmm good point. I don't think most realized that Fasth was basically the same in a oilers jersey last year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I know most prefer Scrivens. I believe he will get more starts, but he will be challenged by Fasth at the end of the season.

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of these poll options btw

OVOXO*

hmm good point. I don't think most realized that Fasth was basically the same in a oilers jersey last year.

I felt like Scrivens' level of play was really dropping as the season was coming to an end. Hoping it wasn't because of Chabot...

Why the **** isn't Ranford our goalie coach ugh.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
I felt like Scrivens' level of play was really dropping as the season was coming to an end. Hoping it wasn't because of Chabot...

The Old Boys Club mentality?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

His play was tailing of big time. After that 60 save effort he started to look very mediocre. IT happens, reminds me of how pitchers usually aren't that good after a perfect game. some times you start to over think things after a big single success.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I had a 20$ bet with a friend (who is a fan of Hiller for some reason)that Fasth would start for Anaheim in the playoffs. It's not that I was extremely high on Fasth (although I do think he's a capable starting goalie at the NHL level) it was because I was extremely low on Hiller.

I think we capitalized on the fact that Fasth got hurt and never got the chance to seize the opportunity when Hiller faltered. No matter how you slice it, getting Fasth was a win for us.

In case your wondering we declared the bet a tie because Hiller didn't start in the playoffs due to his terrible play but Fasth wasn't the one who replaced him.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
Wouldn't it make sense if Ranford was our goalie coach then lol The one time it would've worked in our favor.

Yes, but people out there are so critical over former Oilers running the Oilers' hockey operations with the likes of Lowe, MacTavish, Buchberger, Smith, and Acton. Adding Ranford...you get the picture.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I just hope one of these guys IS the bonafide #1 here at the end of the season and not somebody else. There were a lot of people around here that weren't sold on Dubnyk as being a legitimate starter last off season but I don't think anybody really thought our goaltending would be as bad as it ended up being. Just hope we don't see a repeat of last season again.

Stainsy

Time to improve
Jun 21, 2005
Ont.
www.parkerhousemotel.com
I voted 50 - 59%. There is no doubt that Scrivens has talent, and can play net. There is doubt that he can handle a season being "the guy". Its not easy. Ask Salo, Shtalenkov, back up Bob Essensa, and the myriad of goalies that we have had since Cujo played here.

I won't even say Cujo was that great, he sucked regular season, you had to get the guy into the playoffs to shine. Its been a long time since the Oilers had a great goalie. To long. I don't think throwing Scrivens to the wolves is going to help him, and I have some respect for Fasth, so I am not saying he can't play.

However, we have brought in three new guys on D. Anytime you make that many changes, it takes time to get to know tendencies, and how to play as a unit. Good luck. Its going to be a tough ride, I am afraid. Goalies have to make up for all the mistakes, and they take most of the blame. To many turnovers, and to many bad decisions with the puck has lost most Oiler games. I don't expect that trend to change. I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
haha according to these poll results no one has a clue

ya, bit of a bell shaped distribution going on. where pretty much every one is just over 50%. not a ton of confidence in him though, which is fine, he needs to prove he can hold the #1 job down.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
If Fasth can stay healthy, I think he's better. Scrivens really fell off the map last year at the end of the season.

However, if the number ends up at under 50% it probably means that we suck again because I think Scrivens' is going to get a long look at the start of the season and get given every chance to be the man.

It's easy at first to come into a crappy situation. It's hard to be the man for a whole season and seasons down the road.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
If Fasth can stay healthy, I think he's better. Scrivens really fell off the map last year at the end of the season.

However, if the number ends up at under 50% it probably means that we suck again because I think Scrivens' is going to get a long look at the start of the season and get given every chance to be the man.

It's easy at first to come into a crappy situation. It's hard to be the man for a whole season and seasons down the road.

I think it is 50/50 and I think both will have about a 915 sv % by the end of the year, which should give us a shot at the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad