Scrivens vs Bernier vs Reimer

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Once we sort out Reimer/Bernier, I actually think we should look at bring back Scrivvy via free agency (if he makes it there).

Great back-up, class act person.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Scrivens has excelled at every level of hockey he has played at. Whatever he lacks in skill or athleticism he overcomes through extremely hard work.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Scrivens has excelled at every level of hockey he has played at. Whatever he lacks in skill or athleticism he overcomes through extremely hard work.

Hasn't had a poor season in his life.

In his first year for the Leafs, he had less-than good numbers, but in that year he also won a Harry "Hap" Homes award, which is the Jennings trophy of the AHL.

I didn't like the Bernier trade all that much, but I can't say I told you so because I certainly didn't think Scrivens would play this well for LA, and we've had some pretty stellar goaltending ourselves, but it might be time to start thinking that Scrivens may be legit.

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010
I've seen a handful of Kings games with Scrivens in net...with my limited exposure to the team I would compare his performance to an early Jonas Gustavsson when he was a Leaf. He'll make saves, sometimes big ones, but you're just not quiiiite as comfortable as you'd like to be with him in net. In the end, he picks up wins and that's what matters. Don't forget he had a remarkable 2-game shutout streak this year as well.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i wonder if i was one of the few who thought that scrivens was technically better than reimer last year in reg season.

reimer improved dramatically during the playoffs and this season, but at the the point they were a tandem, scrivens seemed quicker side to side, had a better glove hand and tracked pucks better.

reimer was great at angles and first shots but i thought scrivens looked better on rebounds although he did have some stinkers. both seemed to be playing at the same level and i thought scrivens had the potential to be a #1 although not a rask or quick or lundvquist.

UFancyHuh

May 29, 2008
Lost
Good for him. I doubt he would have been playing as well if he was on the leafs cuz of our defense and shots against though. We need to trade for a stay at home D who is actually good

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Do some people even know anything about hockey or just look at stats from NHL.com? Some random dude just got a shutout last night from the Kings, Jones?! I guess he's a star now too.

shibbiness

Feb 7, 2010
GTA
Happy for Scrivens, but I was nervous watching him play during his time with the leafs. Lots of flopping around. Maybe thats just his style, but it made me uneasy.

That being said, as someone mentioned above Martin Jones got a shutout yesterday. LA is a good team (they did win the cup not too long ago :P), and have strong defence, which I'm sure their goalies benefit from.

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
Do some people even know anything about hockey or just look at stats from NHL.com? Some random dude just got a shutout last night from the Kings, Jones?! I guess he's a star now too.

LA has 3 amazing goalies. Look at the numbers Jones was posting before the call up. They are all studs playing on an elite team, that doesn't give up as many quality shots. The leafs are on the opposite end of that spectrum. BUT Scrivs is also playing REALLY well even above and beyond that. So is Martin Jones.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
Scrivens is a good goalie, i mean he only had a year in Toronto
Reims and him would of been enough

LA KINGS are a much better defensive team than TDOT
if Reimer played in LA, he'd be a star for example

some people are a little slow... and they dont understand how hockey works

their idea of hockey exist only in a bunch of stats
lol

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
Scrivens has been LAs best player on MANY nights. Hes stolen a bunch of games, LA has played pretty poorly recently and relied on Scrivens to steal them games.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Looking at Rask and Scrivens on their respective teams means that loser of the Reimer and Bernier battle should win the Vezina next year. Thats just the way it goes, the best way to make an impact as a goaltender is to be traded by the Leafs for someone they scouted as being better.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
The number of shots Scrivens has faced is important to note as well. GAA would be effected dramatically

Ya that shot against total is pretty significant. Doubt that Scrivens would be putting up similar numbers if he were playing in TO.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Reimer and Bernier are the only reason we are above .500. Don't let the stats judge the capability of the goaltender. Leafs are horrible defensively and the Kings are top of the league. I like Scrivens, but come on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad