Scrivens vs Bernier vs Reimer

Jun 27, 2005
Name| Team |GP| GS| MIN| W| L| OTL | EGA | GA| GAA| SA| SV| SV%| SO
Ben Scrivens| LOS |15 | 12| 770 | 7| 2 | 4| 1| 20 | 1.56| 349 | 329| .943 | 3
Jonathan Bernier| TOR| 19| 16| 1074| 9| 7 | 2 | 2| 43| 2.40| 625 | 582 | .931 | 1
James Reimer|TOR| 13 | 13 | 687| 6 | 4 | 1| 2| 30| 2.62 | 432 | 402 | .931| 1

Has anybody been watching the L.A. games that can comment on Scrivens?

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Jonathan Bernier| TOR| 19| 16| 1074| 9| 7 | 2 | 2| 43| 2.40| 625 | 582 | .931 | 1

I'd ask the LAK board.

I say good for Scrivens. He was a capable backup, wouldn't want him as a full time starter.

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013

Scrivens doesn't hold water on this Leafs team, this year. He's a backup goalie and they sometimes play well (like Pavelec and other low-mid range goalies)

Kessley Snipes*

Scrivens doesn't hold water on this Leafs team, this year. He's a backup goalie and they sometimes play well (like Pavelec and other low-mid range goalies)

Scrivens is a capable goalie playing on a good defensive team. That's it.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
The number of shots Scrivens has faced is important to note as well. GAA would be effected dramatically

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Well it's about time someone started a "Should we have kept Scrivens?" thread. I was worried everyone forgot about him with Grabovski and Macarthur leaving.

mikebel111*

I believe this is a third thread that has implied that Scrivens should have been kept.

yet I have a feeling it's because, they want the overrated Frattin back.

I like Frattin, but how much he got over rated was insane. Pretty simple, I thought kadri made him look good.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Scrivens is a backup goalie behind a top teir team. Bernier/riemer are top teir goalies behind a back up team.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Great for Scrivens....but ask the LAK's board when Quick comes back who their starter is.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I've watched about half the Kings games this year and I've seen Scrivens play twice in person at Staples Center. He DOES look better individually than he did with Toronto, and I think he will challenge for a starter's job if he continues to develop. I know he's older than most up-and-comers but he's a battler and understands his position extremely well. His numbers are certainly inflated due to Sutter's system and personnel, much like Quick's are.

Bernier and Reimer are certainly more talented than Scrivens though, and I believe both are established number ones (can't wait for everyone to scream at that) while Scrivens is battling to establish himself as a starter.

He's still brutal with the puck on his stick, but his rebound control has improved markedly. If he can prove that he's not just on a hot streak and that he is capable of this level of play then I think he will have a nice NHL career.

Last edited:

Primary Assist

Jul 7, 2010

I don't feel like googling for them, but you might as well include Bernier's gaffe from this year, Reimer's occasional give-aways that lead to goals, Patrick Roy's statue of liberty turned goal or the million other odd and unlucky goals that happen to elite tenders.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Oh I know there are plenty of those as well, I just don't get why this fan base is deciding to make Scrivens comparisons now like he's the better goalie. Bernier is the better goalie, its not even a question.

People just like to stir things up, create controversy, and basically like being trolls.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
One of the things that has improved Scrivens game is Bill Ranford, the Kings goalie coach, had Scrivens come out to LA in the offseason once the trade went down and started to work on adjustments with him.

He's lowered his glove, has a deeper stance etc. These changes along with a good LA team has enhanced his game and made him a better goaltender for the time being. He most likely wouldn't have made those changes here.

Toronto is still better off for making that deal.

Moral of the story? Bring a dump truck of mlse money to Ranfords house.

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
I've watched about half the Kings games this year and I've seen Bernier play twice in person at Staples Center.

Your post is confusing because I'm pretty sure you mean Scrivens in the first paragraph. Thanks for the info tho, I knew he was doing pretty well but haven't watched any LA games. And of course everyone should know by now that LA is good defensively.

Primary Assist

Jul 7, 2010
Your post is confusing because I'm pretty sure you mean Scrivens in the first paragraph. Thanks for the info tho, I knew he was doing pretty well but haven't watched any LA games. And of course everyone should know by now that LA is good defensively.

Woooops, my bad, I fixed my post. For some reason I always saw Bernier play live when he was still with LA, so I was extremely excited when he came to Toronto. That being said I'd easily take Reim Time/Bernie over Scriv any day.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Scrivens has been great for LA and I knew he would be. He was serviceable as a back up for the Leafs and was an important player for the team when Reimer went down last year. Him coming in and being able to help the team get points was the difference between us making the playoff and us missing the playoffs. Moving to a team that is defensively superior only seemed obvious that his numbers would improve. Scrivens and Bernier in LA is a wash. But I don't think for a second that Scrivens would survive or have near the numbers as he does now or the numbers that Bernier and Reimer have right now playing behind this Leafs team. That is the difference. I take Bernier/Reimer over Reimer/Scrivens any day of the week.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I don't feel like googling for them, but you might as well include Bernier's gaffe from this year, Reimer's occasional give-aways that lead to goals, Patrick Roy's statue of liberty turned goal or the million other odd and unlucky goals that happen to elite tenders.

Lmao, honestly, what was his point in posting that?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Scrivens wouldn't have a career if he had to face the disasters Bernier and Reimer face in Toronto.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Lets not down play Scribbles too much here. Yes he probably wouldn't be posting such great numbers for us, but he's a very good backup who makes the routine saves you expect your goalie to make.

The Kings are a great possession team so he never faces long periods of play in his own zone. His D is also great at giving up low quality shots and clearing out the rebounds. But man he was great against the Sharks and Canucks, especially in the third of both games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad