Scream 6 - March 10th, 2023

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Can't wait! 5 was back to its old roots and was really good.

With Jenna Ortega blowing up from her Netflix Series, Wednesday, it's probably going to really bring in a ton of money. (Yes she was also in Scream 5).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm a big Scream fan and am really excited for this one. Wasn't thrilled when I heard about the Manhattan plot (Ghostface Takes Manhattan, gross), but the trailer did a nice job. Looks to be set on Halloween which is a new thing for the franchise.

They should have stopped after Scream 2.

3-4 werent good. 5 was good.

I think 4 was pretty decent as far as sequels go, 5 was quite good.

My ranking:
2 and 5, 5 might be better than 2 but it's close

People in the horror community still holding onto the hope that Stu comes back is hilarious

There is nothing remarkable about the character

I think it would actually hurt the character. He was goofy and obnoxious, not sure how he could be included without him being too serious now that everyone knows he's a murderer.

After the first one you can clearly pick out who the killer is going to be. Rinse repeat

I don't think this is really true. The fact that both sides are aware of what the other one is trying to do makes it a little more fun.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It's out and getting very good reviews like 5 did.

93% audience score.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
oh ok i was confused. i just watched the one previous with Ortega in it the other day and thought that was the new one hahahah . but that was the one before this one lol.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Let me know what you think! I’ll probably have to wait a few weeks till I have time to see it.

I just got home from the theater and here are some ramblings:

I'd say it's slightly worse than 5 if I had to rank it. There are things that worked really well and were fun, but then there were things that were a bit more on the meh/bad side. That's to be expected at this point in the franchise.

It's obvious that they're struggling with the motive for Ghostface. The suspension of disbelief can only go so far and that would be the glaring issue I have with this one. I was skeptical of the setting being in NYC but they managed to pull it off pretty well, but there are the usual nitpicky gripes (the apartments are massive and don't make sense, people are conveniently everywhere or the locations are conveniently empty, etc.).

The writers left a decent amount of the campiness behind and it felt more serious through most of the movie, which was refreshing. It still had campy moments but I hope they begin to leave those behind more and more as the franchise continues.

I will go see 7 when they come out with it.

Don't waste your time with the post credit scene. You've been warned.

Now for the spoilers:

The opening was very strong and they got creative with showing who Ghostface was right off the bat. It's a shame Samara Weaving was given the Barrymore because she's so good but it worked pretty well and was fun.

I really enjoyed the more violent Ghostface and the level of gore was ramped up and I do like that sort of thing.

Jenna Ortega did a very nice job and I'd like Melissa Barrera's character to be killed off so Jenna could take the lead.

Having the bodega scene was really fun. It's the first time (I think) Ghostface has just straight up not given a shit about who sees him and continues the chase. Some people were upset by the use of a gun, I thought it fit perfectly and helped make it a touch more grounded in reality.

The subway scene was very good, even if it was pretty shaky on how they ended up in the position they were in. They did a nice job creating tension and making sure the viewer wasn't certain which train was going to end up with the issue. Mindy had her back to a door for the majority of the scene and all I kept thinking about was the fact that the door could be opened at any time.

Dislikes:
The killers they chose really made little sense. I also really disliked the fake-out that was done. The actor who played the police officer was too campy and leaned way too hard into that bit and was easily the worst part of the movie. Also, they have issue with the Ghostface that killed Gale Weather's boyfriend. He was an enormous human and was tossed around by a tiny little college girl like he was nothing. They had a similar issue with Dewey's death in Scream 5 but this was even worse.

Time really sped up to an absurd degree when transitioning from the park scene to Gale's apartment. It was visually jarring.

Having the "Randy" exposition in every film has grown tiresome and it's unnecessary at this point. It's trying to be too self aware at this point and we all get it. Just continue to have subtle references instead of entire scenes dedicated to it.

Speaking of Randy, Kirby's return was lackluster because she was a replacement for Randy being the horror buff. Now Mindy is there and has taken that role, which left Kirby with not much to do and her reason for being there was very forced. I liked Kirby in Scream 4 way more than I like Mindy in either 5 or 6 and wish they would've given that role back to Kirby instead.

Too many of the characters that are stabbed/killed end up surviving. Dewey was largely an outlier in the franchise until this point. Now everyone is getting stabbed and just walking around like nothing happened.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Haven't seen the latest Scream movie but I like all the ones I've watched. They are enjoyable.

I would rank them as follows:

3 (I remember liking this one, but can't recall too much about it. Apart from the car exploding and the guy getting stabbed in the head right at the beginning when he was in the loo.)

5 (just watched this one last night. I think it was the first time I knew who the killers would be, although I thought their reason was the dumbest so far).

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Find it funny when you find it's slight teenage girls being the killers in some of these movies. The stuff ghostface does doesn't really match the abilities and body types of some of the characters. Yeah, I know it is stuntmen, but still.

Also find it interesting that for the 1st movie, the actors didn't know which ghostface killed each person. Online community has made a good guess though.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Haven't seen the latest Scream movie but I like all the ones I've watched. They are enjoyable.

I would rank them as follows:

3 (I remember liking this one, but can't recall too much about it. Apart from the car exploding and the guy getting stabbed in the head right at the beginning when he was in the loo.)

5 (just watched this one last night. I think it was the first time I knew who the killers would be, although I thought their reason was the dumbest so far).

That's actually the opening to Scream 2 at the movie theater. Scream 3 opens with Cotton Weary trying to save his girlfriend, rushing through LA traffic. It introduced the voice cloning capabilities of Ghostface.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
That's actually the opening to Scream 2 at the movie theater. Scream 3 opens with Cotton Weary trying to save his girlfriend, rushing through LA traffic. It introduced the voice cloning capabilities of Ghostface.

Damn, you're right! Over 20 years since I've seen the first 3. The 3rd one is a blur. Couldn't even recall the killer and their motive until I read it online yesterday!

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I actually liked it. I am a huge fan of the original trilogy. 1 and 2 are still the best easily. 3 was still good. 4 was alright, and 5 just had a weird reason why they would do the killing. Didn't get it. I am not one of those "Oh, I know who the killers were all along" type of guy, because I always roll my eyes at the people who think this because if you were watching the movie with them at the time and asked them they wouldn't likely be able to predict it. But I will say that part 5 was the only one I guessed who the killers were. Didn't quite see it coming in Part 6. Not sure how people think they knew, it threw me for a loop.

Anyway, if you are a fan of the entire series you'll love the easter eggs they have in part 6. A lot of ties to the original, and even with Dewey dead and Sidney not in this movie (Neve Campbell had a contract dispute) it still has that old Wes Craven feel to it. How often is a 6th installment of a movie franchise actually pretty good? Not often. Can't say I like the added gore in the movie, it isn't needed, the storyline is good enough.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
People in the horror community still holding onto the hope that Stu comes back is hilarious

There is nothing remarkable about the character

Here is the thing with this, they actually DID have him in Scream 2 if you remember. He had a cameo, but not one that you are supposed to notice. At the time in real life Matthew Lillard was dating Neve Campbell and came to visit her on the set. In the background at one of the parties he is inserted in there just for kicks from Wes Craven I believe. It's him alright if you are looking for him but he has sunglasses on and is just blending in the background. Pretty neat though.

But yeah that was bizarre about Stu coming back in Part 6. I honestly think someone within the movie intentionally posts that to throw people off. I just couldn't picture why or how he could come back. I remember people hoping Randy would come back after part 2. The idea was that he faked his death to avoid being pursued by Ghostface in the future. Ummm, no. He gets pulled into a van in Scream 2 and stabbed repeatedly. Puts up what looks like may have been a good fight, but that's it. That being said, him coming back was more believable than Stu. There would be no reason why or how Stu could be alive 25 years later.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So I finally saw it, thought it was really good. I was worried the NYC vibe would ruin it but it worked well.

I might even have it ranked #2 in the series. Great ending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad