Scrap Commentary/PBP and just mic on-ice action

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Anyone with me?

No. The Kings and Ducks did this maybe 7 - 8 years ago. One team played the pxp audio, the other team just played the sounds of the game. It was terrible.

Once in a while now, the broadcaster plays the sounds of the game waaaaay too loud, so it almost overtakes the commentators, which is annoying as well.

The pxp serves a purpose. - although my wife wants the players and refs mic'd up at every scrum to hear how nasty they all are. I could go for that too.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
It's MLB, but that clip (NSFW Warning) of Mets manager Terry Collins yelling at umpire Tom Hallion sort of gives you an idea of what on ice interactions are like when things get heated.

I think certain people would love to get this kind of audio option for NHL games.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I'd like the option.

Anyone remember when the French CBC went on strike several years back but they aired the hockey anyway with no broadcasters. It was pretty cool but I don't think I'd like it full time

Reactions: JuniorNelson

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I just want to travel back to the 40s and tell Foster Hewitt that in the future people will want to listen to stick and skate sounds for 3 hours instead of having the play described.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
People complain about bad commentary -- and there is a lot of it -- but great commentary can do wonders to make an otherwise-bland game incredible TV. If Chris Cuthbert or Gord Miller or Jim Hughson are calling the game I'm watching, it sucks me in and it's incredible.
200w.webp

With ya on the first two. Can't stand Hughson.

I don't know OP, who would I ridicule if there was no inane PBP and color?
How about an option for commentary to be entirely produced by a Bryzgalov soundboard? Just random comments that may or may not have anything to do with the play on the ice.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
it would be reminiscent of the moment before nhl 04 freezes...

it would create for an awkward moment. a few hours actually.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
I'd like the option.

Anyone remember when the French CBC went on strike several years back but they aired the hockey anyway with no broadcasters. It was pretty cool but I don't think I'd like it full time
I remember that, possibly late '90s early 2000's, first round of the playoffs if I remember.

I loved those games. The one thing they had over just muting the tv was the sounds of the skates on the ice and the crowd noise, it was awesome. I could watch those all the time.

As for mic'ing up the players, someone think of the children! haha. There'd be salty language all-around but I'd love that too.

I posted this before elsewhere but they mic'd up Tie Domi one time,pretty sure when he was a Jet. oh my, and that game devolved into mega-fights. I vividly recall Domi saying to the ref "you wanna a war you got a ****ing war".

illpucks

May 26, 2011
CBC's on-air personalities went on strike, I'm going to guess early/mid 1970s. For a few weeks they did exactly this. I remember thinking at the time that it was pretty cool but was pleased when the personalities returned. It didn't have staying power.
The French version did it sometime in the 2000s. They would roll the game with no commentators at all.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I want a mic for most games, even for them to invent a special helmet for cameras to place on the refs. I'm the one hockey fan that can live without the commentary, but I think I usually like the mic'd up stuff for YouTube.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
People complain about bad commentary -- and there is a lot of it -- but great commentary can do wonders to make an otherwise-bland game incredible TV. If Chris Cuthbert or Gord Miller or Jim Hughson are calling the game I'm watching, it sucks me in and it's incredible.
Jim Hughson sucks you in?

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I’ve been waiting years and years for this.

Give the players and coaches hot mics, give the announcers license to say whatever they want. Show at least some of the locker room footage during intermission. Interview players in the penalty box.

I’d get cable, just for the HBO subscription, just for this.

As an already HBO subscriber, sign me the hell up for this please!!!! :yo:

Too bad it'll never happen. :(

Reactions: tarheelhockey

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Would love if gamecenter came with this option. No more ear bleeding PbP from Razor

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
It's MLB, but that clip (NSFW Warning) of Mets manager Terry Collins yelling at umpire Tom Hallion sort of gives you an idea of what on ice interactions are like when things get heated.

I think certain people would love to get this kind of audio option for NHL games.
but that is not what OP meant..... he means skate, stick and puck noises..... that example from MLB is only heard because the ump was wearing a microphone.

mlb tv has park sound only option, and you can't hear what the players are saying

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I’ve been waiting years and years for this.

Give the players and coaches hot mics, give the announcers license to say whatever they want. Show at least some of the locker room footage during intermission. Interview players in the penalty box.

I’d get cable, just for the HBO subscription, just for this.

The HBO thing is incredibly produced, my guess do this live on the fly and its not so compelling unless you are into hearing guys do pretty much nothing but swear. As I'm sure the NHL doesnt want to be known as the pottymouth league to the general public.

we all revel in the rare " suck it phaneuf"'s but having every game like that would get old quick. And to be honest, if its not live I'm not interested. to me, seeing a recap of a game I know the result of where the only new aspect is on ice commentary has no appeal not matter how savage the chirps.

but then again my ass isnt in the jackpot.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The HBO thing is incredibly produced, my guess do this live on the fly and its not so compelling unless you are into hearing guys do pretty much nothing but swear. As I'm sure the NHL doesnt want to be known as the pottymouth league to the general public.

we all revel in the rare " suck it phaneuf"'s but having every game like that would get old quick. And to be honest, if its not live I'm not interested. to me, seeing a recap of a game I know the result of where the only new aspect is on ice commentary has no appeal not matter how savage the chirps.

but then again my ass isnt in the jackpot.
Agree completely. Stripped of its storytelling -- the numbers, background, trivia, quotes -- watching a game on TV would become surprisingly flat. Sure, some broadcasters are annoying, but I'll take that over three hours of yelling and swearing.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Most of the times I'm ok with Denis and Goldie as the commentators. Background noise while I watch the game. Humorous to listen to Potvin when he goes off on some weird rant, murders a players name, or sounds like he hit the bottle early. Homers, but expected.
Wouldn't really care to have no commentary for the full 60mins, but an option would be cool to go back and forth between the two.

Year round it's "summer" on my board.

It's degrading over there. How many times can people beat the dead horse over 1-2 year old topics?

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
I don't mind PBP or commentary, but I hate guys who scream into the mic like that idiot from Tampa Bay.
Not only does it assault my perfect ears, but it reminds me too much of soccer - which reminds me that the league obviously needs more offense. Obviously these screaming meatsticks feel the need to have an aneurysm anytime a goal is scored due to lack of goals.

Bob Cole and Harry Neale were terrific. There are a few in the league who come close, but way too many banshee's out there.

Reactions: dkhockey

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
It would be okay as an option on an alternate channel broadcast. But doing this as a primary broadcast would destroy the future of the game because as annoying as commentary can be to a seasoned fan, it's how new and casual fans learn the game, teams and players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad