GDT: SCQF Game 2: Montreal Canadiens vs Philadelphia Flyers 8/14/20 3:00pm EST SN, TVA, NBC-SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Imagine what slim chance we had of beating Philly went out the window when we lost Julien. Coaches with his numbers are hard to replace

I don’t know about that. Most people felt our slim chance rests with Carey Price. The system and game plan won’t change one iota.
The only thing that will change are the adjustments on the fly. The one area many fans find fault with CJ. Perhaps things like playing two left D and getting scored on 16 seconds after tying a playoff game won’t happen now?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
But you're a human first and foremost, and at times, athletes do extraordinary things in the face of adversity or hardship.

Having said that, they could lose even though I expect them to eat the ice today.
Uh, this is an MB constructed team. Expect the ordinary, not the extraordinary.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don’t know about that. Most people felt our slim chance rests with Carey Price. The system and game plan won’t change one iota.
The only thing that will change are the adjustments on the fly. The one area many fans find fault with CJ. Perhaps things like playing two left D and getting scored on 16 seconds after tying a playoff game won’t happen now?
Julien got us here. Muller wasn't successful as a coach. I doubt he is even good assistant coach as Gallant.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hopefully a couple of changes to the lineup and usage of players. Moving Domi up will be the very first one!!
Will Claude dictate line up changes to Muller or will Kirk have to ability to ice the team HE feels will give them the best chance?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh for sure. Google thinks I want live updates of every single game that's being played at all times.

I was not a happy camper last Friday.... Recorded the game as well and when I got home, my DVR was acting up. "No recordings shown"? I was like WTF! Rebooted the system cause this happened before and still... no recordings shown. I ended up watching the game by going to guide (back in time) but could not fast forward the commercials. Then the game froze after the 1st period.

By the time I was able to watch both the Habs game and the Leafs comeback, it was 4am the next day! and I had over 200 texts on my phone lol. Yeah, if this happens again tonight, I'm going to throw the DVR receiver out the back door lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm a longtime Julien supporter who believes he's brought the best out of this roster, so I'm a bit worried about the games without him. On the other hand, never underestimate the power of a team mindset to rally around a cause. Biggest concern? Dumb penalties due to the coaches' lack of attention, like too many men.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
uYxEgBf.jpg

He's a real humanitarian, you see, as the smoke itself acts as a social distancing buffer. That's quite a high level of dedication when you consider he doesn't even need to do this as his face and demeanour is already quite enough of a buffer!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

TORONTO -- The Montreal Canadiens announced that head coach Claude Julien will be heading to Montreal today, to rest at home following stenting of a coronary artery carried out at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto Thursday afternoon. Doctors expect a full recovery.

On a more personal note, Coach Julien would like to convey his most sincere thanks to everyone at St. Michael's Hospital for the wonderful care he received during his stay. He also wishes to personally and sincerely thank everyone who has sent their well wishes during this time.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm a longtime Julien supporter who believes he's brought the best out of this roster, so I'm a bit worried about the games without him. On the other hand, never underestimate the power of a team mindset to rally around a cause. Biggest concern? Dumb penalties due to the coaches' lack of attention, like too many men.

I think Julien has his pros and cons - my biggest issue with him is that the team has failed on a massive scale past few seasons and he seems to get little blame (whereas Therrien got a TON of blame, even when the team did quite a bit better - and no I don't even like Therrien). I don't think Julien is a bad coach per se - but I do think he's mostly failed in Montreal. In the short term, i've been frustrated with his line combinations these playoffs (starting with Domi on the 4th line). Not trying to make this seem too negative - I do think he is a good coach and has done very well in some aspects in Montreal, if not overall.

But - I mostly don't know that there's a reason to worry about the games without him. I honestly don't think a head coach is all that instrumental at this point in the playoffs. Him being there or not won't be a huge differentiator, and this would be true of any coach. Players will either play well or not. If his strategies are the right ones - his assistant coaches will implement them, going from line changes, etc. I don't think a coach physically being there or not is a huge component.

To the bolded - I think that's most likely. Players are very emotional (starting with guys like Gallagher on this team) - so I could see them try to rally around this and play extra hard for him.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

TORONTO -- The Montreal Canadiens announced that head coach Claude Julien will be heading to Montreal today, to rest at home following stenting of a coronary artery carried out at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto Thursday afternoon. Doctors expect a full recovery.

On a more personal note, Coach Julien would like to convey his most sincere thanks to everyone at St. Michael's Hospital for the wonderful care he received during his stay. He also wishes to personally and sincerely thank everyone who has sent their well wishes during this time.

The news we were waiting for. Merci.

Reactions: bobholly39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad