GDT: [SCP R3 GM2] Dallas Stars @ Vegas Golden Knights - 2:00 PM CT (ABC)

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Well I’ve come to accept the fact that a team playing a 38 year old Ryan Suter 25 minutes a game has no reason to be winning the conference final. Hopefully the team has more belief in themselves than I do right now.

Reactions: piqued and Pomee

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
That whole game was an absolutely dreadful experience. Mark Stone not getting a misconduct for losing his shit at the refs, taking a run at Robertson, the mediocre penalty calls, the effort level from the Stars being atrocious other than about 10 minutes of the crispest play I've seen all season...

Guess I'll go back to not watching the playoffs because this team & league doesn't deserve my viewership.

Reactions: roryjones

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Holy Overreaction, Bat Man!

It was playoff hockey. Our guys were playing hard, the controlled much of the game, but only played about 58 minutes, and a team like LV can make you pay. Of course, they got beat to some pucks, etc. It was playoff hockey. Most of the flubs (except Suter's) were forced by good play by Vegas.

While I saw a few missed calls, no none calls surprised me. The 5 on 3 surprised me, of course.

• Haha
Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Holy Overreaction, Bat Man!

It was playoff hockey. Our guys were playing hard, the controlled much of the game, but only played about 58 minutes, and a team like LV can make you pay. Of course, they got beat to some pucks, etc. It was playoff hockey. Most of the flubs (except Suter's) were forced by good play by Vegas.

While I saw a few missed calls, no none calls surprised me. The 5 on 3 surprised me, of course.

I think the dejection is mostly because what the outlook is now. Have to win 4 of 5....and still have to win a game in Vegas, all with a heartbreaking loss to shake off.

Makes it bleaker than heading home with a split

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Did you not see how the game tying goal transpired?
Right, and on the game loser, Miller fell down in the crease. Suter screwed up for one goal. The Stars lost because they gave up three. Suter wasn't responsible for all three against. There aren't any better options than Suter available now.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This is probably a long shot, and I wasnt sure where to post this as I didnt see a trade thread

But would the stars have interest in trading for Matthews if they lost this series?

Matthews extended at say 12.5M for 8 years + Nick Robertson for cap piece (marchment?) + Wyatt Johnson + Stankoven + 2025 1st?

Is that too much?

I can see why, those two guys are really good and the stars can hold off on adding a superstar if they feel these two become stars and balance the depth

Just was curious and wanted to inquire here rather than make a main board thread. If the value is poor/fit is poor no issues

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This is probably a long shot, and I wasnt sure where to post this as I didnt see a trade thread

But would the stars have interest in trading for Matthews if they lost this series?

Matthews extended at say 12.5M for 8 years + Nick Robertson for cap piece (marchment?) + Wyatt Johnson + Stankoven + 2025 1st?

Is that too much?

I can see why, those two guys are really good and the stars can hold off on adding a superstar if they feel these two become stars and balance the depth

Just was curious and wanted to inquire here rather than make a main board thread. If the value is poor/fit is poor no issues
Go to capfriendly first. The Stars couldn’t afford Matthews unless the Leafs agree to take back Seguin.

HatchtrickBateman90

May 2, 2023
Lincoln, NE
Suter has played pretty shutdown D all playoffs long. Good outlets, smooth transition play, clears the crease, takes his man and brings some nasty that we lack . Game 1 of this series, he and Miro both looked off. That turnover tonight stings bad, but I think he has been pretty solid this postseason (especially in comparison to the other D, sans miro).

This team just seems to have a losing mentality once OT hits. Hope we can rebound.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

Yes, one mistake. Harley and Hanley made about 20 in the game.

I'm not going to say Suter is some beast of a player, but he is better than the other 3 who f*** up about 10 times more often while playing 10 minutes less.

Imagine the score if Harley played 24 mins and Suter played 14.. holy f*** would have been 12-0 Vegas.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, one mistake. Harley and Hanley made about 20 in the game.

I'm not going to say Suter is some beast of a player, but he is better than the other 3 who f*** up about 10 times more often while playing 10 minutes less.

Imagine the score if Harley played 24 mins and Suter played 14.. holy f*** would have been 12-0 Vegas.
Agree Suter was pretty good yesterday until his brain cramp. But, Harley was good, too. I did see a turnover or two, but in reality, LV has a real aggressive forecheck and that will happen from time to time. For my money, Harley has been impresssive.

Kivi has looked pretty good in his fourth line role, and I could even see him up to line 3 or 2 for a offensive shakeup.

Reactions: Elysian

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
We're bashing Harley now? He has looked pretty damn good in these playoffs. Way better than I would have expected.
No, it's more about putting things in perspective when folks want to act like Suter is the sole reason the Stars lost. Harley made a number of blunders, but that doesn't mean he sucks.

Suter made a horrible mistake, but he wasn't responsible for goals one or three against. This loss was a solid team effort. Lindell might have had the roughest game of all the defenders.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Fair enough.

I have been in the "Suter has been good enough" camp these playoffs aside from alot of terrible chips off the boards but there are dozens of dmen bad for that. Suter hate will magnify it though.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Honestly it was a whole team loss which was the bigger problem at the end of the day. The forwards looked absolutely discombobulated and then the whole team suffers and the weaknesses are magnified.

Quite frankly, the reliability isn't there when you have to leverage Miro so hard, and then ride two average to below average puck controllers in Lindell and Suter, and then three guys who are just barely okay at a lot of things for various reasons. Somehow they're suffering not having Hakanpaa in the lineup.

Eichel was roasting every center he went up against on the dot and there wasn't much puck control coming out of the forward corps. The whole off the rush scoring attempt into having to defend for double time really kind of hurts against a team with a well rounded defensive corps.

At the end of the day, the forward heavy cap expenditure on this team needs to produce and control the other half of the game and they couldn't get it done. Should they balance out where they spend their money and fix a hole? Probably. Will they? Probably not.

Will they bounce back after these last two atrocious outings? Maybe.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Fair enough.

I have been in the "Suter has been good enough" camp these playoffs aside from alot of terrible chips off the boards but there are dozens of dmen bad for that. Suter hate will magnify it though.

Outside of this series, Suter's been good in these playoffs. I think that actually bothers me more because it implies he was sandbagging the shit out of the regular season.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Even PDB suggested that Suter needed to limit minutes, but he never seemed to give him a night off or cut his playing time. Maybe he was instructed to coast and save energy whenever possible.

I remember being shocked when Walter Payton, later in his career and after two knee surgeries (which he called his "100,000 mile tune up" admitted he didn't go as hard as he once did, to save wear and tear. It's not like he didn't run hard, but he used to crash into defenders harder than they hit him, sort of like the reverse hit in hockey.

So yes, older players do try to conserve energy, even on ice.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Outside of this series, Suter's been good in these playoffs. I think that actually bothers me more because it implies he was sandbagging the shit out of the regular season.
Also probably means the Stars won't buy him out this offseason. They will just say look how well he did in the playoffs, thats why we keep him around

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Also probably means the Stars won't buy him out this offseason. They will just say look how well he did in the playoffs, thats why we keep him around
He was never getting bought out, it was wishful thinking on our parts. We're stuck with him for the remainder of that contract, or a FO change

Reactions: Elysian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad