GDT: [SCP R1 GM5] Dallas Stars vs. Minnesota Wild - 7:00 PM CT (BSSW)

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
One more comment on this game, Faksa deserves some praise. Might be overpaid for the amount of offense he provides but he took a hard knee on knee, came back and had quite a few really strong plays throughout the game.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
The Stars now have six 5v5 goals in five games. That's not a decent clip.

Thankfully, the PP is awesome and the Wild are idiots.

I think this has just been a general problem for so many years now, the Stars are not the best team at 5 on 5, I think they're around the bottom of the top third this year in most of the advanced stats in the regular season, but they've been pretty bad in the playoffs by the metrics. To cherry pick a stat, there are 8 players at even or better in high danger chances for for Dallas, and it's a fairly bizarre bunch: Dadonov, Glendening, Johnston, Hakanpaa, Suter, Benn, Harley, Hanley. That excludes most of the impact players you would expect to tilt the ice offensively in these situations, and while I think they can get away with it in this series, guys like Domi, Robertson, Seguin, Heiskanen etc. need to be much better at 5 v 5 going forward. Hintz has produced really well, but is still in the group of guys outchanced, which is interesting.

Speaking of surprise impacts, Dadonov has been great to watch. Imagine if they Stars still had Gurianov in the lineup? Dadonov being so impactful at 5 v 5 is making a significant difference for sure. Johnston has also just been really unlucky to not have his efforts translate to the scoresheet. Hintz has been incredible. I don't know how that contract will age, but they were going to sign it regardless, and it's a good thing it was done before this playoff run.

I still think the criticism of Robertson is a bit much. If you want to see Dallas Stars falling off the face of the earth, you can watch any of the series in the Arnott, Guerin, Turgeon, Modano, Morrow era of Stars hockey. Teams that consistently placed around where this team did this year, and absolutely melted down every single playoffs for years. At least Robertson is just figuring it out, and game 5 was a positive step forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Robertson is our second leading scoring thus far. He's doing fine.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
The Stars now have six 5v5 goals in five games. That's not a decent clip.

Thankfully, the PP is awesome and the Wild are idiots.
I think that is more of the team we are playing as opposed to our team. The wild are a very good defensive team and they have to be as they don’t have the firepower to compete with high scoring teams. I think if Dallas faces Seattle or Colorado the 5v5 goals will go up.

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
One more comment on this game, Faksa deserves some praise. Might be overpaid for the amount of offense he provides but he took a hard knee on knee, came back and had quite a few really strong plays throughout the game.

We all soured a bit on him because of how Bowness deployed him. He should not consistently be one of the top 3-4 players in 5v5 TOI like he was last season. When used primarily as a defensive 4th line forward (with ability to slide up in case of injury) and on the PK, then he's great albeit slightly overpaid. As a side note, I'm curious to see who slides out when Pavelski comes back: Kivi or Glendening.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00