GDT: [SCP R1 GM3] Dallas Stars vs. Calgary Flames - 8:30 PM CT (BSSW)

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Think i called in the previous games GDT the formula below could win the series...got 3 of 4 in game 2..Game 3 similair.

Jake was great
Defense was great
Top line scored
Anything from power play.

That formula delivered today. (Although i would say defense was just good today not great, had some bad mental breaks...but defense contributed offensively so balanced it a bit)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Just to maintain some perspective, Calgary had us down 2-1 the last time we played them. It was Seguin’s last second onside heroics that let us tie and win game 4, and then win the next two in convincing fashion.

Game 4 is critical. Home ice advantage is big for Dallas, and going up 3-1 gives them three chances to grind it to another slog fest coin flip and hope we don’t land three straight tails.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I really love this narrative that the Flames are "playing into the Stars game", they're "not focusing on playing hockey." Like, the Stars have nothing to do with it. No, it's all in the Flames' head. And these two teams are bad because "they can't make any passes."

You know...if you take any two professional hockey players in the NHL and have them do a passing drill against no defense. How many passes would you expect them to complete? Basically all of them... And the Flames scored the 6th most goals in the league in the regular season. So the idea that, well it's a fundamentals problem, these players aren't good enough mechanically to pass the puck from one to another. It's a bit humorous to be honest. As if we're watching peewee hockey.

When professional hockey players can't complete passes in the NHL it's because of the resistance they're facing. Either in the form of pressure, positional challenges, sticks in lanes, opposing formations which shut down passing lanes, etc.

But I'll take it. Flames are still a dangerous team. They could still easily come back and beat the Stars. But I like the ridicule that is being built up against both the Flames and the Stars. Whoever makes it to the next round I'm going to hammer hard on the betting line. Because fans are really ignorant and so they'll think "oh it's so easy, making a tape to tape pass in an NHL game against the Stars, the reason these 40 goal scorers can't do it must be mechanical skill deficiencies, or even something more ludicrous like lacking a "clutch gene", and of course (insert next round team's players) don't have mechanical skill deficiencies or lack a hocus pocus clutch gene."

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
It's really weird how hockey media has pivoted on style of hockey... Apparently if its not fire wagon high scoring hockey it's not good hockey. Pretty sure the level of scoring we're seeing isn't the norm...

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Flames fan in peace. I came here to congratulate y’all on the series win. There’s no way we’re coming back and winning this series. I’ve seen this story to many times. Y’all have young gems in Oettinger and Robertson. Stars in 5

ugrakarma

>/dev/null
Jan 28, 2006
boonies, Finland
It's really weird how hockey media has pivoted on style of hockey... Apparently if its not fire wagon high scoring hockey it's not good hockey. Pretty sure the level of scoring we're seeing isn't the norm...

Southern market team whose identity has been in flux since the Hatcher days. Frankly being dismissed by the media seems to be a positive thing.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I forgot who it was, but someone at the Athletic singled him and Marner out recently before the playoffs started pointing out their size, failure to produce, and whatnot. I've not watched the Toronto-TB series, but it seems like Marner is putting up 2 points a game right now.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Flames fan in peace. I came here to congratulate y’all on the series win. There’s no way we’re coming back and winning this series. I’ve seen this story to many times. Y’all have young gems in Oettinger and Robertson. Stars in 5

Please forgive ... but this feels like a wolf in sheep's clothing. I feel like you're trying to trick us ... LOL.

Reactions: DieselPig

mc3488

Jul 2, 2013
Houston, Tx
We got the best arena in hockey. Missed the game but seeing the home crowd go wild and chanting Dallas Stars after every goal gave me goosebumps. btw seems Klingberg has become our enforcer lol

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I forgot who it was, but someone at the Athletic singled him and Marner out recently before the playoffs started pointing out their size, failure to produce, and whatnot. I've not watched the Toronto-TB series, but it seems like Marner is putting up 2 points a game right now.

I hate that narrative about Marner because it's such shit. If anyone deserved hate for their shit production in the playoffs in the past for Toronto it was Matthews. Matthews was the one not scoring goals, the thing he is good at, but they all just wanted to pile on Marner.

It was just another example of how shit hockey media is with Toronto.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I hate that narrative about Marner because it's such shit. If anyone deserved hate for their shit production in the playoffs in the past for Toronto it was Matthews. Matthews was the one not scoring goals, the thing he is good at, but they all just wanted to pile on Marner.

It was just another example of how shit hockey media is with Toronto.

As a Knights fan, it bugged me too. Marner, as a Knight, always elevated his game in the playoffs and brought a Memorial Cup back to London. I half wanted the Toronto media to run him out of town, so he could play for a team that he would be appreciated on.

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I really love this narrative that the Flames are "playing into the Stars game", they're "not focusing on playing hockey." Like, the Stars have nothing to do with it. No, it's all in the Flames' head. And these two teams are bad because "they can't make any passes."

You know...if you take any two professional hockey players in the NHL and have them do a passing drill against no defense. How many passes would you expect them to complete? Basically all of them... And the Flames scored the 6th most goals in the league in the regular season. So the idea that, well it's a fundamentals problem, these players aren't good enough mechanically to pass the puck from one to another. It's a bit humorous to be honest. As if we're watching peewee hockey.

When professional hockey players can't complete passes in the NHL it's because of the resistance they're facing. Either in the form of pressure, positional challenges, sticks in lanes, opposing formations which shut down passing lanes, etc.

But I'll take it. Flames are still a dangerous team. They could still easily come back and beat the Stars. But I like the ridicule that is being built up against both the Flames and the Stars. Whoever makes it to the next round I'm going to hammer hard on the betting line. Because fans are really ignorant and so they'll think "oh it's so easy, making a tape to tape pass in an NHL game against the Stars, the reason these 40 goal scorers can't do it must be mechanical skill deficiencies, or even something more ludicrous like lacking a "clutch gene", and of course (insert next round team's players) don't have mechanical skill deficiencies or lack a hocus pocus clutch gene."

I agree but someone like Seguin can't complete passes because he sucks. No pressure, no sticks in lanes, no resistance and he turns it over right to Calgary.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I hope coaching staff puts Petey in for Game 4 . I was ok with Studenic in Rads spot but he was also bad. If that doesn't work you can allways put Rads back in or one of the prospects who just got eliminated from the AHL playoffs . Pretty sure they'll be filling up the pressbox up very soon. Karlström had dynamite SHL playoffs last year . Could be worth a try if nobody else shows anything. Also the only guy who scored for Texas in the playoffs

Last edited:

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
dOeSn’T mAtTeR, He No ScOrE fLaShY gOaLs

Lol. I will now refer you to my prior post on Heiskanen vs. Makar. There's only one way this can be settled.

[. . . ]

Either way, we clearly won’t know who’s the best until they fight at center ice during a game seven of a western conference finals matchup.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Johno

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Just watched the game. JWB

Did anyone point out that if they kept the PP units the same as previous games, it probably would’ve been Radulov instead of Namesnikov shooting the puck on the GWG. Keep Rads off the PP.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Bones isn't that complicated. If veterans do what he wants them to, they pretty much stick. Namestnikov setting up the GWG with a nice shot to produce a rebound cemented himself on the top unit for at least another game.

I think that probably also keeps Rads out of the lineup. I would say it's a guarantee or anything, but if Rads isn't on the PP, I don't think they see him as a game option.

Studenic may not be the answer, but I could see Peterson or Kalstrom getting a shot on Monday to play some 4th line minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad