Management Scouts from four NHL teams at P-Bruins Opener

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Let me start off topic a little bit here:

Anthony (the OP) is new here, but I want to say he is one of the relatively new faces covering the Bruins that is a must follow in whatever capacity you choose/can. I've been supportive of his honest, intelligent and well thought out coverage of the Bruins and/or prospects for several months now. He's not a "click bait" type of person and it won't take you long to figure that out.

That said....

It is a little to early to be dwelling on what scouts are at which games. That doesn't mean that something can't happen in short order though. Part of an NHL pro scouts duties is to get a book/read on as many players as possible around the NHL, AHL.

As pro scouts, they have probably never seen the likes of Jeremy Lauzon, Jesse Gabrielle or Zachary Senyshyn play a game other than maybe some video.

it is their responsibility to get out and see these kids in action, not only for today, but for whatever may come in the future.

Reactions: PB37

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It is a little to early to be dwelling on what scouts are at which games. That doesn't mean that something can't happen in short order though. Part of an NHL pro scouts duties is to get a book/read on as many players as possible around the NHL, AHL.

As pro scouts, they have probably never seen the likes of Jeremy Lauzon, Jesse Gabrielle or Zachary Senyshyn play a game other than maybe some video.

it is their responsibility to get out and see these kids in action, not only for today, but for whatever may come in the future.

What he said.

This is what scouts do they are on the road every night, usually in a different city. Their job is to go around and compile a book on players/teams around NHL/AHL. Given that providence does have a bunch of young talent I would think teams would want to make sure they gather a book on the young talent as Boston may well be buyers at the deadline. I would expect you will see a lot of scouts swing by Providence when they are in the area

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
What he said.

This is what scouts do they are on the road every night, usually in a different city. Their job is to go around and compile a book on players/teams around NHL/AHL. Given that providence does have a bunch of young talent I would think teams would want to make sure they gather a book on the young talent as Boston may well be buyers at the deadline. I would expect you will see a lot of scouts swing by Providence when they are in the area

I don't disagree at all with what you or Dom said. But on a night where you have 30 teams playing an NHL, don't you think the majority of pro scouts would be at one of those? Providence isn't exactly close to another team(other than Boston) and it's not like you could've caught them the B's the night before or after. Basically you have to go out of your way to be there last night. The only game going on tonight is MTL/NYR at MSG. So maybe you go Providence to NY to Boston and back to NY on Tuesday for STL/NYR? Just seems like you'd be better served going other places last night.

That all assumes that you're trying to be as efficient as possible.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't disagree at all with what you or Dom said. But on a night where you have 30 teams playing an NHL, don't you think the majority of pro scouts would be at one of those? Providence isn't exactly close to another team(other than Boston) and it's not like you could've caught them the B's the night before or after. Basically you have to go out of your way to be there last night. The only game going on tonight is MTL/NYR at MSG. So maybe you go Providence to NY to Boston and back to NY on Tuesday for STL/NYR? Just seems like you'd be better served going other places last night.

I don't read anything into this - if you gave me questionairre before the game with how many scouts would be at game : 5 or less; more than 5; more than 10 I'd have probably considered 10 or more

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

While there is merit to your thoughts here, there is no doubt NHL pro scouts have a book on almost every player on NHL rosters today. They've already been watching them for some time in the NHL/AHL.

It's those guys in the AHL they haven't seen they need to get a read on. It's no secret the Bruins are going to have to move some bodies at some point. NHL teams have to do their due diligence if and when Don Sweeney comes calling offering up one (or more) of these prospects for a roster player.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I doubt we see movement from the Bruins for2-3 months. Long enough for them to get a long read of the rookies in Boston and Providence. After that I'd say we see players moved out for draft picks in this order:
Vatrano + Belesky (combo to get someone to take Belesky's contract)
McQuaid (if the D stay healthy for a couple months and McAvoy plays responsibly, the Bruins might opt for balanced R/L pairs)
Spooner/Czarnik (one undersized center stays and one goes before the trade deadline)
Nash (Outside change of moving if Kuraly can seize a PK/4th center role)

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I need to see more of Gabrielle. The effort was A+ but I want to see his hands and what options he makes when he has the puck- he didn't have it much last night but your Beleskey comp is interesting

DeBrusk is like a sub power forward

1. He goes to the dirty areas without a second thought

2. He's always moving and tracking play making him impossible to defend until he gets the puck

3. He's got plus hands and as his 2:1 assist to goal ratio shows he makes plays - he's not Wheeler but 'Blake the Fake' plays down low and makes plays

He's such a likeable kid, his father was old time hockey, we need him above all- my fingers are crossed but I think worst scenario his a top 9 20 G 50+ point player (I said that about Neely when we got him)

DeBrusk has always looked like an NHLer to me. (before McAvoy) him and Zboril (for completely different reasons) are the two prospects I've personally been most excited about. (I missed the boat on Pastrnak).
He just seems to understand the game, get better consistently, and get the most out of what he can do. One of those kids that seems to work on his shortcomings more than his strengths. - if that makes sense.
I just (and have since before the Bruins drafted him) believed that he was going to be one of those all around wingers that teams covet and are in short supply nowadays.

- Zboril I like because he's smooth - while still being tough. If you've played with a d partner like that - they're gold. He's going to become a first pairing d-man. (although I haven't seen much of him this year).

Not as sold on Senyshyn but I think we'll be cheering these two on for a long time.

BruinsNetwork

Let me start off topic a little bit here:

Anthony (the OP) is new here, but I want to say he is one of the relatively new faces covering the Bruins that is a must follow in whatever capacity you choose/can. I've been supportive of his honest, intelligent and well thought out coverage of the Bruins and/or prospects for several months now. He's not a "click bait" type of person and it won't take you long to figure that out.

That said....

Thanks for the kind words and support as always, Dom. You're the man!

Adding to what Dom said, yes I also think it is a little too early to be speculating on trades at the moment. I wasn't posting that info for the sake of causing a commotion, just simply passing along some interesting information that I came across.

Scouts do frequently attend a lot of these games, I predict its only worthy of the speculation though if the same scouts start attending more & more games in Providence.

I saw one of the replies in this thread asking if Sweeney and Ferguson could have been there to entertain the scouts, but I do not think that is the case at all. The scouts weren't in the Press Box with us and didn't come in contact with either Sweeney, nor Ferguson to my knowledge as they were in the private, reserved box next to it. It's much more calm and relaxed in that are so it's a great place for scouts to get some evaluations done.

Anyways, I saw some good things from the prospects and I've been following along very closely. There will be a lot more NHL Bruins & prospect coverage coming your way soon so be on lookout as I get the hang of HFBoards!

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words and support as always, Dom. You're the man!

Adding to what Dom said, yes I also think it is a little too early to be speculating on trades at the moment. I wasn't posting that info for the sake of causing a commotion, just simply passing along some interesting information that I came across.

Scouts do frequently attend a lot of these games, I predict its only worthy of the speculation though if the same scouts start attending more & more games in Providence.

I saw one of the replies in this thread asking if Sweeney and Ferguson could have been there to entertain the scouts, but I do not think that is the case at all. The scouts weren't in the Press Box with us and didn't come in contact with either Sweeney, nor Ferguson to my knowledge as they were in the private, reserved box next to it. It's much more calm and relaxed in that are so it's a great place for scouts to get some evaluations done.

Anyways, I saw some good things from the prospects and I've been following along very closely. There will be a lot more NHL Bruins & prospect coverage coming your way soon so be on lookout as I get the hang of HFBoards!

Nobody will replace what I thought of Kirk but your first couple contributions seem familiar are very very much appreciated and welcomed. Hope you will continue to contribute such quality posts and not get frusterated around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad