Management Scouts from four NHL teams at P-Bruins Opener

BruinsNetwork

The Providence Bruins opened up their season at home tonight against the Springfield Thunderbirds where I was covering the game from the Press Box. Amongst the four NHL scouts pointed out to me, Don Sweeney and John Ferguson Jr. were also in attendance.

List of NHL team with scouts at the game:

LA Kings
Buffalo Sabers
Carolina Hurricanes
New York Rangers

PS: If you're looking for info on various prospects from the P-Bruins opener, I have plenty of notes from the game tonight on my twitter @BruinsNetwork - feel free to ask any questions

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
The Providence Bruins opened up their season at home tonight against the Springfield Thunderbirds where I was covering the game from the Press Box. Amongst the four NHL scouts pointed out to me, Don Sweeney and John Ferguson Jr. were also in attendance.

LA Kings
Buffalo Sabers
Carolina Hurricanes
New York Rangers

PS: If you're looking for info on various prospects from the P-Bruins opener, I have plenty of notes from the game tonight on my twitter @BruinsNetwork - feel free to ask any questions

Now that Hayes is gone what will it take to get Vesey ‍♂️♀️

Honestly other than packaging 2/3 prospects or picks for a significant upgrade I don’t want or expect to see any moves. Bruins are stuck in a year of purgatory. How they just make the ride enjoyable....

BruinsNetwork

Now that Hayes is gone what will it take to get Vesey ‍♂️♀️

Honestly other than packaging 2/3 prospects or picks for a significant upgrade I don’t want or expect to see any moves. Bruins are stuck in a year of purgatory. How they just make the ride enjoyable....

Well, there is quite the log-jam in the system right now for forwards which is creating a problem. It is a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless. The Bruins have several prospects all knocking at the door for roster spots, especially in the top-9 forward group. Beleskey & Vatrano haven't been great, between last season, Training Camp & this year so far. These two players specifically are in my opinion, on the cusp of being outplayed by younger talent from Providence. Cehlarik, Heinen, JFK, Czarnik & maybe even Agostino, all look much hungrier and could prove to be more effective than Vatrano & Beleskey.

Vatrano has to clear waivers (he won't) if the team opts to send him down to Providence, so there would most likely have to be a trade involved or they would lose him for nothing. Beleskey is another issue, I like him as a player but he hasn't performed adequately enough and the contract he is on is worrisome. You could send him down to the AHL, but then the Bruins would still be paying a big percentage of his salary and they would still have his contract count against their total number. The best course of action for Beleskey is to trade him in a deal where you retain half of his salary and include a lower-tier prospect. Given the way JFK has looked (especially in the AHL season opener tonight) I still think theres a strong possibility he is dealt this season.

I think if there are any trades being explored by the Bruins, something involving players or scenarios like this are the prime areas of interest.

Reactions: Strafer

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Well, there is quite the log-jam in the system right now for forwards which is creating a problem. It is a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless. The Bruins have several prospects all knocking at the door for roster spots, especially in the top-9 forward group. Beleskey & Vatrano haven't been great, between last season, Training Camp & this year so far. These two players specifically are in my opinion, on the cusp of being outplayed by younger talent from Providence. Cehlarik, Heinen, JFK, Czarnik & maybe even Agostino, all look much hungrier and could prove to be more effective than Vatrano & Beleskey.

Vatrano has to clear waivers (he won't) if the team opts to send him down to Providence, so there would most likely have to be a trade involved or they would lose him for nothing. Beleskey is another issue, I like him as a player but he hasn't performed adequately enough and the contract he is on is worrisome. You could send him down to the AHL, but then the Bruins would still be paying a big percentage of his salary and they would still have his contract count against their total number. The best course of action for Beleskey is to trade him in a deal where you retain half of his salary and include a lower-tier prospect. Given the way JFK has looked (especially in the AHL season opener tonight) I still think theres a strong possibility he is dealt this season.

I think if there are any trades being explored by the Bruins, something involving players or scenarios like this are the prime areas of interest.

100 percent agree on Belesky and Vatrano.

Vatrano I think is a perfect fit on a 4rth line and maybe just maybe still moves up. Loved his game in the out door embarrassment. I think that guy is still there. He was hurt all of last year and I think given time and practice of 15/20 games this year you know what you have.

He’s worth the shot over Acarri who luckily for Vatrano just went down. Vatrano now has his opportunity to “ $@@% or get off the pot.” If he can’t take advantage of this opportunity we can talk at the end of November.

Don’t understand why the Bruins are worried or even thinking about trading JFK just to lose Belesky ?!?

Eat his contract for the year like they did with Hayes last year. I agree it’s an eye sore but losing an asset to lose his contract seems like a waste at this point as there isn’t a significant cap crunch or the potential to win the cup with one more piece. Best case scenario he finds a heart beat but we both obviously think that’s not likely....

A log jam of young talent in providence is a luxury not a problem. They still all get 12 - 18 mins a night. They benefit playing together with what looks like legit minor league talent. In theory that should make the transition to the NHL easier. The cream will also rise having that competition down there.

Nash/Kuraly/Schaller etc are all job spot holders until the guys you mentioned Cehlarik/Heinen/JFK prove they are ready. I look at it as a wonderful problem and hope it works for Boston like it did for Detroit for years and years.

I’m also not nieve enough to think Bjork won’t struggle in his first year out of college from burn out. And injuries won’t happen. Despite all this “depth” there will still be games in decemeber and February that you look at the Bruins line up and grit your teeth.

If you can use O Gara or Gryz or Cave or Czarnik or Fitzgerald (although everyone seems surprised by him) etc as the guys to get rid of Belesky then it makes sense. Despite those guys being useful pieces I think they all have their limits.

A guy like JFK I value a lot higher and think his offence will surprise people. I’m a fan boy from WJC and the couple BU games I caught.

That prospect pyramid thing we did over the prospect vote will be a lot of fun to look at in 2/3 years. Hope someone’s keeps that tabbed.

Last edited:
Reactions: NSBruinFan and PB37

BruinsNetwork

100 percent agree on Belesky and Vatrano.

Vatrano I think is a perfect fit on a 4rth line and maybe just maybe still moves up. Loved his game in the out door embarrassment. I think that guy is still there. He was hurt all of last year and I think given time and practice of 15/20 games this year you know what you have.

He’s worth the shot over Acarri who luckily for Vatrano just went down. Vatrano now has his opportunity to “ $@@% or get off the pot.” If he can’t take advantage of this opportunity we can talk at the end of November.

Don’t understand why the Bruins are worried or even thinking about trading JFK just to lose Belesky ?!?

Eat his contract for the year like they did with Hayes last year. I agree it’s an eye sore but losing an asset to lose his contract seems like a waste at this point as there isn’t a significant cap crunch or the potential to win the cup with one more piece. Best case scenario he finds a heart beat but we both obviously think that’s not likely....

A log jam of young talent in providence is a luxury not a problem. They still all get 12 - 18 mins a night. They benefit playing together with what looks like legit minor league talent. In theory that should make the transition to the NHL easier. The cream will also rise having that competition down there.

Nash/Kuraly/Schaller etc are all job spot holders until the guys you mentioned Cehlarik/Heinen/JFK prove they are ready. I look at it as a wonderful problem and hope it works for Boston like it did for Detroit for years and years.

I’m also not nieve enough to think Bjork won’t struggle in his first year out of college from burn out. And injuries won’t happen. Despite all this “depth” there will still be games in decemeber and February that you look at the Bruins line up and grit your teeth.

If you can use O Gara or Gryz or Cave or Czarnik or Fitzgerald (although everyone seems surprised by him) etc as the guys to get rid of Belesky then it makes sense. Despite those guys being useful pieces I think they all have their limits.

A guy like JFK I value a lot higher and think his offence will surprise people. I’m a fan boy from WJC and the couple BU games I caught.

That prospect pyramid thing we did over the prospect vote will be a lot of fun to look at in 2/3 years. Hope someone’s keeps that tabbed.

I meant players like Beleksey & Vatrano regarding trading scenarios. Not JFK, of course. But I agree, the talent is a luxury, but at some point the talent has to graduate to the next level. The NHL is a real possibility for several players right now, so thats something the management needs to make a decision with. Not everyone can fit into the picture. Bruins also have Studnicka, Frederic, Donato, Lindgren & Vaakanainen coming up in the next few years too. Like I said before, its absolutely a good problem to have.

Reactions: Strafer

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I meant players like Beleksey & Vatrano regarding trading scenarios. Not JFK, of course. But I agree, the talent is a luxury, but at some point the talent has to graduate to the next level. The NHL is a real possibility for several players right now, so thats something the management needs to make a decision with. Not everyone can fit into the picture. Bruins also have Studnicka, Frederic, Donato, Lindgren & Vaakanainen coming up in the next few years too. Like I said before, its absolutely a good problem to have.

Alright on the same page :thumbu:

Problems like these seem to take care of themselves. No need to rush anyone just to get rid of Belesky or Schaller or Spooner or whoever the current whipping boy is.

Obviously if the Bruins hit a slide and are . 500 or under end of October changes have to be made.

4/6 weeks riding a bus won’t hurt anyone down there no matter how well they play.

If the 4rth line is:
Kuraly/Nash/Vatrano at the end of the year I think both Boston and Providence will be happy with their year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
JFK looked very good - decision making, pace, skills

I saw him a bunch at BU and I see second line Krejci/Bergeron point production

Cehlarik looks even better than last year in Providence

We were spectaculating the Czech line could be unreal

I love DeBrusk and he mY end up with JFK on third line or hold his spot

Heinen had excellent jump and overall looked very good to our group

Gabrielle busted his ass all over the ice. He's a max effort guy - I did not see puck skills or anything that stood out on that area but one of my buds raved about his tenacity

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
JFK looked very good - decision making, pace, skills

I saw him a bunch at BU and I see second line Krejci/Bergeron point production

Cehlarik looks even better than last year in Providence

We were spectaculating the Czech line could be unreal

I love DeBrusk and he mY end up with JFK on third line or hold his spot

Heinen had excellent jump and overall looked very good to our group

Gabrielle busted his ass all over the ice. He's a max effort guy - I did not see puck skills or anything that stood out on that area but one of my buds raved about his tenacity
Do you see Gabrielle as a Belesky replacement and if so how far into the future?
DeBrusk is THE man and a top six on this team for years to come. He just looks like a player. I also get the feeling that if he were his dads size that he'd be a modern day Stevens/Tkachuk type.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

LA Kings
Buffalo Sabers
Carolina Hurricanes
New York Rangers

Thanks for the info but this doesn`t seem right, could swear by posters here Duchene was all but a lock to be a Bruin yet I see no Avs scout sightings?:huh:

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Thanks for the info but this doesn`t seem right, could swear by posters here Duchene was all but a lock to be a Bruin yet I see no Avs scout sightings?:huh:

ODAAT who from the teams in attendance who would make the most sense as trading partner? Weird collection of scouts.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
ODAAT who from the teams in attendance who would make the most sense as trading partner? Weird collection of scouts.
Good lord, I appreciate you asking my opinion but I`ll quickly concede there are those on the board far more in tune to the needs and wants of the four in attendance but I`ll give an opinion based solely on guessing so take that for what it`s worth

Kings- I see a team who`s in the same position as the B`s were a few years ago, old, slow and are hoping to hit on some kids to produce. Not sure they like what they have up the middle, Kopitar coming off a horrific year last year, and I`m not sure they like their Left D, if memory serves, Forbort and Folin are there and I`m not sure they have much else? Think they would also look at the wing positions, honestly, I think the Kings are the likeliest of trade partners and not because of them being in the West but I think they are the team with the most needs

Sabres- not a clue

Canes- think they`d like some depth at both right and left wing

Rags- Defense, Defense and more Defense

That`s all I got, again, 110% guess, strong organizations build strong prospect pools, some of those kids will develop and get promoted from within, some will be used in trades, never fun seeing a potentially strong prospect move on but if it strengthens the B`s and fills an immediate need, DS will have to look at it

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Do you see Gabrielle as a Belesky replacement and if so how far into the future?
DeBrusk is THE man and a top six on this team for years to come. He just looks like a player. I also get the feeling that if he were his dads size that he'd be a modern day Stevens/Tkachuk type.
I need to see more of Gabrielle. The effort was A+ but I want to see his hands and what options he makes when he has the puck- he didn't have it much last night but your Beleskey comp is interesting

DeBrusk is like a sub power forward

1. He goes to the dirty areas without a second thought

2. He's always moving and tracking play making him impossible to defend until he gets the puck

3. He's got plus hands and as his 2:1 assist to goal ratio shows he makes plays - he's not Wheeler but 'Blake the Fake' plays down low and makes plays

He's such a likeable kid, his father was old time hockey, we need him above all- my fingers are crossed but I think worst scenario his a top 9 20 G 50+ point player (I said that about Neely when we got him)

Reactions: Mainehockey33

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I need to see more of Gabrielle. The effort was A+ but I want to see his hands and what options he makes

DeBrusk is like a sub power forward

1. He goes to the dirty areas without a second thought

2. He's always moving and tracking play making him impossible to defend until he gets the puck

3. He's got plus hands and as his 2:1 assist to goal ratio shows he makes plays - he's not Wheeler but 'Blake the Fake' plays down low and makes plays

He's such a likeable kid, his father was old time hockey, we need him above all- my fingers are crossed but I think worst scenario his a top 9 20 G 50+ point player (I said that about Neely when we got him)

If Jake continues or remains consistent on driving to the net, with and without the puck, anything is possible as far as goals go, he could be one of those players who bangs home a ton of "ugly" goals. I was really pleasantly surprised too with how willing Bjork was to get in the corners and on a few occasions, plant his arse in front of the net, clearly doesn`t have Jake`s size but so refreshing to see this, just can`t teach heart.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Good lord, I appreciate you asking my opinion but I`ll quickly concede there are those on the board far more in tune to the needs and wants of the four in attendance but I`ll give an opinion based solely on guessing so take that for what it`s worth

Kings- I see a team who`s in the same position as the B`s were a few years ago, old, slow and are hoping to hit on some kids to produce. Not sure they like what they have up the middle, Kopitar coming off a horrific year last year, and I`m not sure they like their Left D, if memory serves, Forbort and Folin are there and I`m not sure they have much else? Think they would also look at the wing positions, honestly, I think the Kings are the likeliest of trade partners and not because of them being in the West but I think they are the team with the most needs

Sabres- not a clue

Canes- think they`d like some depth at both right and left wing

Rags- Defense, Defense and more Defense

That`s all I got, again, 110% guess, strong organizations build strong prospect pools, some of those kids will develop and get promoted from within, some will be used in trades, never fun seeing a potentially strong prospect move on but if it strengthens the B`s and fills an immediate need, DS will have to look at it

Thanks O...agree just odd mix of teams. Canes loaded with young talented D that I like and LA likely to end up bottom of league. So young D and or top #1 pick I can go with...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thanks O...agree just odd mix of teams. Canes loaded with young talented D that I like and LA likely to end up bottom of league. So young D and or top #1 pick I can go with...

lots of possibilities, anyone know if Sweeney or JFJ was there to entertain said scouts?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
LA would have to be accepting they are in a re-tooling mode. That is complicated by Mr Doughty's contract being up soon and those nasty long term contracts they have. Weird situation over there, but, if they go in that direction, Bruins have plenty of young pieces and LA has both LD (Muzzin) and RW (Toffoli) of interest.

Carolina has a bunch of D and very little depth up front. They also have lots of cap space. A young forwards + Beleksey kind of deal might work to fill out their bottom 6. Or maybe quantity for quality with Hanifin? Maybe at the TDL they decide it was too soon to sign Justin Williams? I dunno. Several possibilities but no obvious match.

Rangers need D. If they are out of it, a retained pending UFA Nash, a two year Zucc rental or a Krieder deal would all be interesting at the cost of some of the Bruins youth.

Buff has Evander as a rental. That one seems the most straight forward.

Both LA and Car have been involved in Duchene, so there is always a chance these teams are looking to try to get pieces for another deal. Or its just teams doing due diligence and there is nothing to see here (most likely).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
LA would have to be accepting they are in a re-tooling mode. That is complicated by Mr Doughty's contract being up soon and those nasty long term contracts they have. Weird situation over there, but, if they go in that direction, Bruins have plenty of young pieces and LA has both LD (Muzzin) and RW (Toffoli) of interest.

Carolina has a bunch of D and very little depth up front. They also have lots of cap space. A young forwards + Beleksey kind of deal might work to fill out their bottom 6. Or maybe quantity for quality with Hanifin? Maybe at the TDL they decide it was too soon to sign Justin Williams? I dunno. Several possibilities but no obvious match.

Rangers need D. If they are out of it, a retained pending UFA Nash, a two year Zucc rental or a Krieder deal would all be interesting at the cost of some of the Bruins youth.

Buff has Evander as a rental. That one seems the most straight forward.

Both LA and Car have been involved in Duchene, so there is always a chance these teams are looking to try to get pieces for another deal. Or its just teams doing due diligence and there is nothing to see here (most likely).

The Kings seem to be in a very similar position to what the B`s were in a few years ago after the Cup win then final appearance, paying too much for vets who were past their prime or very close to entering the decline phase of their careers. Now, to be fair, I haven`t a clue how their drafts have been and how their prospect pool looks

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think it's more likely to rain candy canes than the Bruins to trade for a big contract player

It would be a massive 180 from what they are doing

My advice to Don Sweeney is save your money for McAvoy & Carlo (there's 10 M right there), Bjork etc

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The Kings seem to be in a very similar position to what the B`s were in a few years ago after the Cup win then final appearance, paying too much for vets who were past their prime or very close to entering the decline phase of their careers. Now, to be fair, I haven`t a clue how their drafts have been and how their prospect pool looks

Likewise. Just Googling it looks like last year was really the first year they took the draft seriously. I mean on NHL.com their #4 prospect is a 24 year old guy that wasn't breaking PPG in the AHL.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think it's more likely to rain candy canes than the Bruins to trade for a big contract player

It would be a massive 180 from what they are doing

My advice to Don Sweeney is save your money for McAvoy & Carlo (there's 10 M right there), Bjork etc

For sure. Renting Nash/Kane, quantity for quality with Hanifin make some sense. I could see investing in Muzzin if some salary (McQuaid/Beleksey) went back along with futures.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad