Scouting Staff (Comparisons)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Wanted to do a few comparisons of our scouts to a couple of other organizations (feel free to fill this out, and infer what you will from comparisons)

Oilers: 13 Scouts
Scouting Staff
11x Amateur Scouts
2x Professional Scouts

Tampa: 16 Scouts
Tampa Bay Lightning Hockey Ops and Coaching Staff
8x Amateur Scouts
3x European Scouts
4x Professional Scouts
1 Goaltending Scout

Winnipeg: 21 Scouts
13x Amateur Scouts
5x Professional Scouts
1x European Scout
2x Misc Scouts

Toronto Maple Leafs: 22 Personnel
Toronto Maple Leafs Scouting Staff | Maple Leafs Hotstove
5x Pro Scouts
5x European Scouts
8x Amateur Scouts

Montreal Canadians: 20 Scouts
Hockey Operations
5x Professional Scouts
2x NCAA Scouts
12x Amateur Scouts
- 2x European
- 2x American
- 1x Russian
- 1x Swedish

Las Vegas Scouts: 19
Front Office
7x Amateur
4x European
1x Goaltending
3x Professional Scouts

Calgary Flames Scouts: 17
HOCKEY OPERATIONS
12x Amateur Scouts
2x Pro Scouts
1x European Scout

Vancouver Canucks Scouts: 22
Coaches & Staff
18x Amateur Scouts
4x Professional Scouts

LA kings with 25:
Staff Directory - LA Kings Hockey & Business Operations

NY Rangers with 21:
New York Rangers Directory

Ottawa Senators: 13 (the same as us)
Front Office

San Jose with 19
Front Office Directory
7x Amateur
5x European
3x Pro
1x Forward
1x Defense
1x Goaltender

St.Louis Blues: 17
Front Office

Colorado Avalanche: 18
Colorado Avalanche Coaches and Staff

Chicago Blackhawks: 29
Front Office

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The lack of scouts and development program is quite alarming. Struds talked about how TOR has "books" on their guys. They give their guys feedback and try see ever prospect x amount of times a year to work on their "book".

Instead of scouts we just have a lot of management type guys with no clear direction on what they actually do.

Edit: The other thing I'd add is you can somewhat probably get away with less scouts if you have an analytical team that is looking into things for you as well. But we don't even have the analytical team and we try get away with 2 pro scouts doing the job.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This is interesting:
Coyotes have a relatively sparse Scouting dept:
But a HUGE video scouting dept:
Staff

3x Professional
5x Amateur
2x European
12x Video Scouts + 3 Video Interns

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We have No european scout.

The fact that we rarely get Europeans to develop into NHL players should not shock anyone.
I guess the only way to get rid of personnel on this club is when someone dies. Hired Vaclav Burda in 2017, he died a year later in a car crash.

With all those leagues over there we should have a team of 3-5 guys scouting pro and amateur over in Europe.

7 of McKenzie's top 31 play in Europe this year. Last year 11 of the first rounder were in Euro leagues. Really no reason not to have the numbers in Europe. Even if you have a pro guy that isn't the best amateur scout, he could at least be telling the Amateur scouts to come over and check out someone.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
With all those leagues over there we should have a team of 3-5 guys scouting pro and amateur over in Europe.

7 of McKenzie's top 31 play in Europe this year. Last year 11 of the first rounder were in Euro leagues. Really no reason not to have the numbers in Europe. Even if you have a pro guy that isn't the best amateur scout, he could at least be telling the Amateur scouts to come over and check out someone.

I mean... I guess Jari Kurri did tell us about Koskinen.

So we threw a ton of money at him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean... I guess Jari Kurri did tell us about Koskinen.

So we threw a ton of money at him.
It's good he told us about him, but at the end of the day we should be sending our goalie guys to look at these goalies.

Almost should look at hiring Kevin Woodley to help with the goalie scouting and development here.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Interesting to see Mitch Holmberg as a scout. Guy scored 62 goals and had 118 points in the WHL in 13/14. Still a young guy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Look at a team like the Sharks. They have four European scouts.

No wonder they're able to find guys like Donskoi, Karlsson, Sorensen, Heed, Radil, Simek and Suomela.

That's almost 400 games from European UFAs just this season.
Those cheap depth guys sure help off set any higher end UFA's or trade deadline acquisitions a team makes.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Wanted to do a few comparisons of our scouts to a couple of other organizations (feel free to fill this out, and infer what you will from comparisons)

Oilers: 13 Scouts
Scouting Staff
11x Amateur Scouts
2x Professional Scouts

Great work on pulling this together.

The Oilers would make one hell of a case study.

Scouting (pro and amateur) is one of if not the most important thing when it comes to the long term success of a hockey club and we are running it like a f***ing family garage sale.

How can a club have success when it fails at so many basic tasks. Seeing stuff like this gives me such a feeling of hopelessness with this Club.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We always hear of guys not employed by us pointing us towards certain players. We have a lot of 'scouts' off the books, I imagine.

Obviously this method has proven ineffective.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Oilers should run:

5 Pro scouts
10 Amateur scouts
3 European Scouts
2 Goaltending scouts ( I really want to see a Franchise Goaltender between the pipes for the oilers in my lifetime)

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Look at a team like the Sharks. They have four European scouts.

No wonder they're able to find guys like Donskoi, Karlsson, Sorensen, Heed, Radil, Simek and Suomela.

That's almost 400 games from European UFAs just this season.

The OBC is convinced that finding good hockey players is 50% magic and 50% did you win cups in the 80's.

In reality, it is hiring competent people and placing them in a organizational structure that allows good decisions to be made.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad