Scouting Post

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Since 2003 you could say Nashville drafted and developed 4 Dmen better than anyone Boston has picked in that time frame.

I don't care about players picked by the Bruins before I was born.

The point is that Boston until recently has been pretty bad at drafting and developing their own Dmen. So just because Carlo is one of our "hits" doesn't mean we undervalue him by wanting to move him in a package to upgrade elsewhere.

im kind of in favor of trading carlo… he isnt mean enough to please bruin fans... he is doomed to become a whipping boy... whipping boys usually struggle... I think its best to trade him

sadly... the same was true for dougie Hamilton... and glen wesley

im not trying to say brandon carlo is some superstud… im just saying finding a guy better than him in the draft is difficult. my studies were intended to show that a guy better than him comes along maybe 3 times in 10 years if you are making first round picks...

maybe 7 times in 45 years if you are picking 80% of the picks outside the first round

its just pure math

my 'feelings' say I think carlo is going to be traded sooner rather than later... lets hope we get value

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Since 2003 you could say Nashville drafted and developed 4 Dmen better than anyone Boston has picked in that time frame.

I don't care about players picked by the Bruins before I was born.

The point is that Boston until recently has been pretty bad at drafting and developing their own Dmen. So just because Carlo is one of our "hits" doesn't mean we undervalue him by wanting to move him in a package to upgrade elsewhere.

I will also defend boston a bit more

this past year many people said dougie Hamilton was a Norris trophy favorite before he got hurt...
last year Elliot friedman predicted a Norris trophy for Charlie mavoy at the start of the season

you might not care for our dmen but this is 2 guys we drafted who would called Norris trophy caliber dmen by independent unbiased experts in just the last 2 years

those 4 guys in Nashville are very good... no doubt about it
we have 2 guys in our collection that are very good... no doubt about it

since 2003 Nashville drafted
alexander radulov
victor arvidsson
Patrick hornqvist
and maybe kevan fiala
their only top 2 line forwards in 17 years

since 2003 our forwards were
Patrice Bergeron
David Krejci
Phil Kessel
Milan Lucic
Brad Marchand
Tyler Seguin
David Pastrnak

thats guys better than anyone Nashville drafted

I wouldnt say Nashville drafts better than boston… lets compare the top 5 picks for both organizations

Bergeron or weber? who do you take
marchand or josi? who do you take
seguin or suter? who do you take?
pastrnak or jones? who do you take?
kessel or renna? who do you take?

seems to me boston has done every bit as well if not better than Nashville has... and once you go down the next 5 matchups our edge becomes huge.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I will also defend boston a bit more

this past year many people said dougie Hamilton was a Norris trophy favorite before he got hurt...
last year Elliot friedman predicted a Norris trophy for Charlie mavoy at the start of the season

you might not care for our dmen but this is 2 guys we drafted who would called Norris trophy caliber dmen by independent unbiased experts in just the last 2 years

those 4 guys in Nashville are very good... no doubt about it
we have 2 guys in our collection that are very good... no doubt about it

since 2003 Nashville drafted
alexander radulov
victor arvidsson
Patrick hornqvist
and maybe kevan fiala
their only top 2 line forwards in 17 years

since 2003 our forwards were
Patrice Bergeron
David Krejci
Phil Kessel
Milan Lucic
Brad Marchand
Tyler Seguin
David Pastrnak

thats guys better than anyone Nashville drafted

I wouldnt say Nashville drafts better than boston… lets compare the top 5 picks for both organizations

Bergeron or weber? who do you take
marchand or josi? who do you take
seguin or suter? who do you take?
pastrnak or jones? who do you take?
kessel or renna? who do you take?

seems to me boston has done every bit as well if not better than Nashville has... and once you go down the next 5 matchups our edge becomes huge.

None of the above has anything to do with my original point of you overvaluing Carlo because the Bruins are less than stellar at drafting Dmen compared to other franchises.

Your train is off the track and into the atmosphere at this point.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Karlsson-Redden(drafted elsewhere but was completely developed by Ott)
Chabot-Philips
Meszaros-Volchenkov

Tempted to put Chara there since he developed into the dman we saw in Boston but he did play a couple seasons with the isle.

But I don't see Carlo breaking that top 6.

Ahh sorry, I thought you meant the current Senators o_O

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Two new draft related articles up on scoutingpost.

Seems like a year w solid bloodlines

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
None of the above has anything to do with my original point of you overvaluing Carlo because the Bruins are less than stellar at drafting Dmen compared to other franchises.

Your train is off the track and into the atmosphere at this point.

What

Whether bruins drafted 1000 dmen or 1... carlo is what carlo is

The origional post was... guys like carlo dont come around everyday

When you jumped in i suggested you find a team that drafts dmen better than boston... your example of nashville has 9 guys in 21 years

And 3 in last 11 years

Your second example is worst

At least you make me laugh sometimes... laughing is good for us. Thanks for that

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
What

Whether bruins drafted 1000 dmen or 1... carlo is what carlo is

The origional post was... guys like carlo dont come around everyday

When you jumped in i suggested you find a team that drafts dmen better than boston... your example of nashville has 9 guys in 21 years

And 3 in last 11 years

Your second example is worst

At least you make me laugh sometimes... laughing is good for us. Thanks for that

Isnt that true... ive been a bruin fan 45 years... how many kids better than carlo did we develop?

Bourque
Mcavoy
Hamilton
Mccrimmond
Wesley?
Is there anyone else?
Kluzak?
Mclaren?

Is that 7 homegrown dmen better than carlo in 45 years?

Am i missing someone?

Here's exactly what you said in case you forgot.

You're using Boston's draft/develop history to say why Carlo is so valuable. I said that speaks more to how bad Boston has done at drafting/developing while giving an example of another 2 teams where Carlo wouldn't even be in their top 6. And neither would have to go back 45 years to find better Dmen.

Carlo is a top 4 defensive defensemen who doesn't really play physical. While he's a solid player there are plenty of players you can find that will be just as effective as him.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Here's exactly what you said in case you forgot.

You're using Boston's draft/develop history to say why Carlo is so valuable. I said that speaks more to how bad Boston has done at drafting/developing while giving an example of another 2 teams where Carlo wouldn't even be in their top 6. And neither would have to go back 45 years to find better Dmen.

Carlo is a top 4 defensive defensemen who doesn't really play physical. While he's a solid player there are plenty of players you can find that will be just as effective as him.
No

Im using bruin draft history to say better guys dont come around that often

And then i used the draft history of all 31 teams

Then i used nashvilles draft history

Honestly, im ok trading carlo... im just saying finding a legit top 3 dman in the draft doesnt happen everyday

Hope this clarifys the argument to you so your train can get on the tracks

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
No

Im using bruin draft history to say better guys dont come around that often

And then i used the draft history of all 31 teams

Then i used nashvilles draft history

Honestly, im ok trading carlo... im just saying finding a legit top 3 dman in the draft doesnt happen everyday

Hope this clarifys the argument to you so your train can get on the tracks

And I'm saying that is largely due to the fact that Boston has struggled for long stretches in its history to draft/develop defensemen.

Their track record doesn't make a player more valuable in a vacuum.

I apologize you are misunderstanding but we can leave it at that.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
And I'm saying that is largely due to the fact that Boston has struggled for long stretches in its history to draft/develop defensemen.

Their track record doesn't make a player more valuable in a vacuum.

I apologize you are misunderstanding but we can leave it at that.

which... I never said in the first place. he is what he is, which I why im in favor of trading him... I think we are close to being on the same page even though you wanted to argue with me. oh well

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Invite this guy to skate in the pre camp tryouts, not drafted this year and at age 20 he could be looking for a spot to play

Gogolev - 6'1 --181 lbs -LW - In 63 games he had 45 goals and 96 pts, feisty too with 66 min in penalties, he played with the Guelph Storm last year. Maybe he is a darkhorse Arthur Kaliyev, pure scorer. Be nice to have a sniper.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Invite this guy to skate in the pre camp tryouts, not drafted this year and at age 20 he could be looking for a spot to play

Gogolev - 6'1 --181 lbs -LW - In 63 games he had 45 goals and 96 pts, feisty too with 66 min in penalties, he played with the Guelph Storm last year. Maybe he is a darkhorse Arthur Kaliyev, pure scorer. Be nice to have a sniper.
This guy went undrafted, yet had a substantially better 19yo season than Senyshyn in the ohl. Bruins drafting is an experience lol

Reactions: maxl7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad