Scouting: How Does Minnesota Stack Up?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Not too hard to imagine Kaprizov at the moment. Greenway, Belpedio and Sokolov also have legit NHL potential IMO.

Graovac too. Not for us but Larsson will hit 200.

Who gets Haula and Keumper?

A guy like Sadek or several late bloomers might take a huge leap and then... Thats the problem with judging a draft too early.

Sekeras, Schultz, Boogaard, Veilleux, Harding, Patty O'Sullivan, Khudobin, Ryan Jones, Stoner, Clutterbuck, Justin Falk, and Scandella

The bolded are the only 2 that were not a dime a dozen. Boogie was great at fighting thats about it.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
How much of drafting is just luck? It definitely plays a large role. I'm not saying we're unlucky, because we have certainly made some bad picks, but in the end, how you evaluate a draft could depend on whether or not you just got lucky on a 6th round pick.

I'm a little late to this party but what the hell:

I find the first round of the draft to be a complete farce. And not just in hockey, but any sport....but mostly hockey for these two reasons:

1) Outside of the lottery Top 5 picks it is basically a complete crapshoot on who you get. And even then nothing is promised in respects to what that player will turn into.

2) Plenty of teams have found diamonds in the rough. Hell Detroit basically didn't have a real 1st round pick for well over a decade and STILL won championships.

The issue is people put such a huge value in their 1st round picks because yes, they are the first person picked in that years draft. The Wild have been absolutely horrible at it for whatever reason it has been. Think about what could have happened with those picks if they just traded them and got players who fit roles that were desperately needed. Especially from around 09-12 seasons.

But not withstanding, the issue with hockey drafts is how young you are drafting them. Even Nanne has said this. These are 18-20 year olds who haven't played anything but either High School/Juniors and you're expecting them to come into the league and actually produce. For every Connor McDavid you get 100 A. J. Thelen's. So is it luck? I don't believe in it when it comes to this. Unless you believe luck means "right time, right place." Our scouts simply are not in the places they should be to find players who may actually prosper. We haven't had a legit forward that was drafted by this team entirely that has been fantastic up front since Koivu IMO.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
How much credit does the scouting staff get for college, over draft age, and reclamation project types of players?

The Wild have a few of these in the NHL or system. Folin, Spurgeon, Reilly, Vey, off the top of my head.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
How much credit does the scouting staff get for college, over draft age, and reclamation project types of players?

The Wild have a few of these in the NHL or system. Folin, Spurgeon, Reilly, Vey, off the top of my head.

I think you mean Anas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad