Player Discussion Scott Sabourin (C)

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
This could work out well for us if Sabs has developed a more elite thermostat element to his game. We lost a thermostat this offseason so we really need to replace that.

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed, I'm amazed Pierre Dorion found the time to do this with all of his wheeling and dealing. One of the busiest GMs in the entire league I've heard.

Yes and assisted by PM too. Two very busy guys taking advantage of the vast knowledge PM brings to the org.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
thanks to Google News for the update

scottsabourin.png

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Meh, seems like an ok guy, reluctant to even call him an enforcer. As long as he sees no time in Ottawa I'm alright with this

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
So this was the big upcoming move DJ was referring to when he signed his new contract. Expect the elite teams around the league to make at least 2 skill adds to compensate.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I'm not sure what I think about this. He was better in preseason than regular season for Ottawa. I would have preferred Jordan Nolan in that role as he is a better NHL and AHL player. I also wouldn't be surprised if Tyrell Goulbourne outperforms him so maybe Goulbourne should have had the 2 way contract and Sabourin should have had the AHL deal instead. With that said training camp should be fun and there should be some wild, chaotic and entertaining preseason games.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
UNDERWHELMED by PD's and PM's moves to improve the NHL roster this off-season!

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
And last offseason.
He is looking to build a tough team. Last offseason some of the guys worked out and others didn't. Watson was a really good add. Gudbranson took on the tough guy role but was played too high up the lineup so his flaws were more notable. Josh Brown struggled with embracing the tough guy role. Haley was too old and too injured to bring his element to the table. Coburn got the Sens a 2nd and 7th round pick and Paquette simply didn't want to be here.

This offseason the Sens have done a better job of adding some toughness but on more manageable contracts. Sherwood is a bit of a reclamation project and former high point producer in the OHL. He is on a two way contract. Goulbourne is a hell of a fighter and good defensive forward. He is on an AHL contract so he would have to be very impressive to earn a two way contract and any NHL games. Sabourin is on a two way contract and has some familiarity with the roster. At least with those three those are contracts that can get sent to the minors. The bigger question marks will be Holden and Del Zotto. Holden was part of the Dadanov trade so we still get a 3rd round pick and cap space and budget room to add another expensive player. Del Zotto could perform well or he could end up a questionable contract.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He is looking to build a tough team. Last offseason some of the guys worked out and others didn't. Watson was a really good add. Gudbranson took on the tough guy role but was played too high up the lineup so his flaws were more notable. Josh Brown struggled with embracing the tough guy role. Haley was too old and too injured to bring his element to the table. Coburn got the Sens a 2nd and 7th round pick and Paquette simply didn't want to be here.

This offseason the Sens have done a better job of adding some toughness but on more manageable contracts. Sherwood is a bit of a reclamation project and former high point producer in the OHL. He is on a two way contract. Goulbourne is a hell of a fighter and good defensive forward. He is on an AHL contract so he would have to be very impressive to earn a two way contract and any NHL games. Sabourin is on a two way contract and has some familiarity with the roster. At least with those three those are contracts that can get sent to the minors. The bigger question marks will be Holden and Del Zotto. Holden was part of the Dadanov trade so we still get a 3rd round pick and cap space and budget room to add another expensive player. Del Zotto could perform well or he could end up a questionable contract.

I feel like Dorion went harder on the "toughness" thing last year. This year it's mostly a minor league thing. I'm fine with that.

Last year he beamed about how much we were going to cross check people and we got lit up like a Christmas tree. I'm no fan of MDZ and I'm pretty ambivalent about Holden but they are better than last year's clusterpuck of acquisitions.

Reactions: Loach

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I feel like Dorion went harder on the "toughness" thing last year. This year it's mostly a minor league thing. I'm fine with that.

Last year he beamed about how much we were going to cross check people and we got lit up like a Christmas tree. I'm no fan of MDZ and I'm pretty ambivalent about Holden but they are better than last year's clusterpuck of acquisitions.
Well the Sens have a lot of "toughness" coming from their prospect pool so I don't think they wanted to add a bunch of one way contracts this offseason. They also have the more ideal kind of toughness which is players with skill who are also tough such as players like Greig, Crookshank, Sokolov, Boucher, Sanderson and Kleven as well as other depth prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad