Prospect Info: Scott Ratzlaff, G, Seattle (WHL) - 141 OA, 2023; Signed ATO 3/27/24

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Milic is a multi-year overager at 20 who needs to be signed immediately. Ratzlaff has development runway and they don't clutter up the AHL with another prospect immediately.
Right now, assuming we don't sign anyone, we have 3 signed goalies in the org.

I could see the benefits of signing an overager to assign to Rochester (or Jacksonville) that is waiver exempt in case of emergencies. But if they think Ratzlaff is much better after a year or so of development, I guess that overrides my thoughts.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ratzlaff may be 18, but he looks like he's 28.

Right now, assuming we don't sign anyone, we have 3 signed goalies in the org.

I could see the benefits of signing an overager to assign to Rochester (or Jacksonville) that is waiver exempt in case of emergencies. But if they think Ratzlaff is much better after a year or so of development, I guess that overrides my thoughts.
I'd much rather have Subban and Houser as the depth guys than a kid straight out of JRs.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
HP talked about him in their predraft Q&A (starting at the 5:35 mark)

Basically, Brad Allen had two main points about him:
  1. Really difficult to judge draft year goalies when playing on a stacked team, so there's some uneasiness trying to assess them
  2. He fails to meet their minimum athletic profile for a shorter goalie, they specifically mention Levi, Saros, and Wolf as guys with high level athletic profiles

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
In his presser, he says he is a stand up goalie who is good at being agile and moving side-to-side. Also models his game after and likes to watch Juuse Saros. He also loves to watch Levi because he is similar. Seems like the perfect back up for Levi.

Last edited:

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Forton mentioned he is Carson Soucy's 1st cousin (Sea) and the Sea jr folks raved about him

25:40

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
HP talked about him in their predraft Q&A (starting at the 5:35 mark)

Basically, Brad Allen had two main points about him:
  1. Really difficult to judge draft year goalies when playing on a stacked team, so there's some uneasiness trying to assess them
  2. He fails to meet their minimum athletic profile for a shorter goalie, they specifically mention Levi, Saros, and Wolf as guys with high level athletic profiles

The interesting thing is that Marty Biron said the opposite. Marty said that he was watching video and Ratzlaff looked really good on breakaways and 2 on 1s and that he had a little Levi in his game with his ability to keep his edges for a long time and beat plays on his feet.

In the modern day, you have to beat plays on your feet through either high level play reading skill (like Craig Anderson) or the ability to beat plays on your feet due to skating ability (like Saros/Levi/Wolf), especially when you are the size that Ratzlaff is.

The projection given his role and the team in front of him is challenging. But, that's why he went where he did in the draft.

I like this goalie lottery ticket more than last year's one.

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
360_F_531379923_CX2WQmSPQLJzxI12Lfg2qP0KTJgstHfj.jpg

Reactions: Matt Ress

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

18. Scott Raztlaff, G

3/9/2005 | 6-feet | 175 pounds | Catches left

Drafted: No. 141 in 2023
Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average

Analysis: Ratzlaff’s pure athleticism stands out when you watch him. He can explode across the crease with his quickness. He’s quick but controlled, as he doesn’t overslide plays. Ratzlaff’s size is the main knock against him, as he’s barely 6-foot-1, but he plays quite aggressively which helps. He uses his quick lower body to challenge shooters and generally makes a lot of high-difficulty saves. The size will be an issue until he shows it isn’t, but I think he has the brain, consistency and talent to play games.

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
I thought I'd give this kid a bump.
I'm a sucker for goalie prospects, and Scott's timeline intrigues me.

His numbers this year aren't as good as last, but that's understandable coming off a WHL championship run.
Seattle is a bad team (12-20-2 / 10th place in WHL's Western Conference).

Here are two real recent examples of him doing all he can to keep the Thunderbirds in games
Friday -- Scott earned the No.1 star in a 2-1 defeat to Prince George. He stopped 33 of the 35 shots he faced.
Saturday -- Scott made 54 saves (57 shots) in a 4-2 loss to Everett, a No.2 star earning performance.

Has the trade deadline passed in the WHL?
Matt Savoie and Vsevlod Komarov recently got traded to better teams.
It seems to me Scott would be a good candidate for a similar move.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I thought I'd give this kid a bump.
I'm a sucker for goalie prospects, and Scott's timeline intrigues me.

His numbers this year aren't as good as last, but that's understandable coming off a WHL championship run.
Seattle is a bad team (12-20-2 / 10th place in WHL's Western Conference).

Here are two real recent examples of him doing all he can to keep the Thunderbirds in games
Friday -- Scott earned the No.1 star in a 2-1 defeat to Prince George. He stopped 33 of the 35 shots he faced.
Saturday -- Scott made 54 saves (57 shots) in a 4-2 loss to Everett, a No.2 star earning performance.

Has the trade deadline passed in the WHL?
Matt Savoie and Vsevlod Komarov recently got traded to better teams.
It seems to me Scott would be a good candidate for a similar move.

Deadline for the WHL is the 9th, so he might move.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4