Prospect Info: Scott Ratzlaff, G, Seattle (WHL) - 141 OA, 2023; Signed ATO 3/27/24

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Reactions: Dingo44

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Wheeler ranked him 3rd among goalies:

Ratzlaff is a similar type (Z NOTE: SIMILAR TO GAJAN) of goalie with excellent athleticism. He has good sense, but he’s barely 6-foot-1 and only played in 34 games this season for Seattle and none in the playoffs. Augustine and Fowler are built similarly; they are undersized goalies who had very productive seasons, are super intelligent and have enough quickness at their size to give themselves real chances even if they are not premium athletes, with Fowler’s athleticism especially being a question.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
NeqZ.gif

Reactions: ceky and Club

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

5. Scott Ratzlaff, Seattle (WHL)

NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 4 (North American goalies)

Ratzlaff (6-foot, 175) was 25-8-0 with a 2.15 GAA and .918 save percentage in 34 games for Seattle, which finished first in the WHL Western Conference. The 18-year-old also helped Canada win the gold medal at the 2022 Hlinka Gretzky Cup, going 4-0 with a 0.50 GAA, .976 save percentage and two shutouts.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
EP:

Ratzlaff can catch shooters by surprise with quickness and a unique approach off the rush. He is very aggressive in terms of the depth that he takes. He remains stoic as the shooter bears down – never showing his hand first. If the puck gets too close, he pounces and makes a move.

When moving laterally, he is very good at quickly setting his feet and making sure he has zero motion at the time of the release of the shot. He knows exactly how much ground he is capable of covering on his feet, and comes set at the perfect time.

Added to Ratzlaff’s mix of skills is his fluid post integration. He routinely gets strong pushes while transitioning out of reverse-VH and doesn’t open up many holes while moving, either. Sealing the ice is also not an issue for Ratzlaff, as he displays awesome flexibility on scramble plays, often stretching out with his legs all the way across the crease.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I'd like to hear Adams logic behind taking Ratzlaff ahead of Milic.

I'm sure there is solid reasons. As a casual observer I just wonder why.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
It clashes with the Leinonen pick last year, but I wonder if this front office has a type at goalie based on Levi. Great skaters, smaller, competitive, quick legs, good glove. In a league full of shooters calibrating their sights to beat 6'5 hybrid shooter tutors, maybe we think there's an advantage to switching it up. This season's trend of picking on big goalies low glove side above the pads was noticeable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad