Scott Laughton impressing at camp

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I heard some people comparing him to Michael Peca...before the injuries of course.
Peca is a great comparison too.

I also thought the 6'1" 190 size seemed a bit high for Laughton... he looks smaller than that on the ice to me. But the best source for accurate info is always the NHL draft combine data, and they have him there at 6'0.5" and 177.1 lbs. You can pretty much take it to the bank that that's exactly what his size was last June. I doubt he grew any taller, so 6'1" is just rounding up. Adding some weight as he matures and trains in the off-season is reasonable too. 190 sounds like a lot to have reached, but it's probably not really important, since he'll get there regardless.

FWIW.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I also thought the 6'1" 190 size seemed a bit high for Laughton... he looks smaller than that on the ice to me. But the best source for accurate info is always the NHL draft combine data, and they have him there at 6'0.5" and 177.1 lbs. You can pretty much take it to the bank that that's exactly what his size was last June. I doubt he grew any taller, so 6'1" is just rounding up. Adding some weight as he matures and trains in the off-season is reasonable too. 190 sounds like a lot to have reached, but it's probably not really important, since he'll get there regardless.

That sounds about right.

SolidSnakeUS said:
Also, wasn't Schenn 6'1" 190 lbs. last season (still says he is on NHL.com).

The Flyers training camp roster for this week lists him as that. I would assume those numbers are accurate.

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Peca is a great comparison too.

FWIW.

I agree it seems fitting...but have to see for myself in this brief 5 game stint and maybe beyond.

This was a pretty good piece...they describe him as 6 feet 190lbs and that

"Laughton is burly or “thick†as coaches often say. He can play physical and held his own in junior with 12 fights in three years"

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
ESPN, Yahoo and NHL all have Brayden at 6'1" 190 lbs. ESPN has Giroux at 181 lbs. NHL says Laughton is 6'1" 177 lbs. Weird stats... if only there was a place that gave real up to date stats?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
When are we going to know if Scott Laughton make the team or not?

I imagine he'll get some games in until Briere is close to coming back and then they will make a decision.

The great Bill Meltzer is saying:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=48559

"Based on the line combinations used in practice the last couple days, tomorrow's starting lineup will likely look this:

Scott Hartnell - Claude Giroux - Brayden Schenn
Max Talbot - Sean Couturier - Jakub Voracek
Matt Read - Scott Laughton - Wayne Simmonds
Ruslan Fedotenko - Eric Wellwood - Zac Rinaldo

Kimmo Timonen - Luke Schenn
Nicklas Grossmann - Braydon Coburn
Andrej Meszaros - Kurtis Foster

Ilya Bryzgalov
[Michael Leighton]

Healthy scratches: Jody Shelley, Tom Sestito, Bruno Gervais."

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Due to the shortened season, never having played at NHL intensity, and that taking a regular shift a massive workout, he could lose 6-10 lbs over the season as well.
This doesn't make sense. He just needs to eat enough and he won't lose weight. I don't know the intensity of regular shifts and workouts in the NHL as compared to the OHL, but I would suspect there's even less time to train due to a condensed season and with the amount of play time he'd get he'll probably burn even less than he did in Oshawa. Anyway, my point is I don't see how a player would lose weight just because they come to the NHL.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
I imagine he'll get some games in until Briere is close to coming back and then they will make a decision.

The great Bill Meltzer is saying:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=48559

"Based on the line combinations used in practice the last couple days, tomorrow's starting lineup will likely look this:

Scott Hartnell - Claude Giroux - Brayden Schenn
Max Talbot - Sean Couturier - Jakub Voracek
Matt Read - Scott Laughton - Wayne Simmonds
Ruslan Fedotenko - Eric Wellwood - Zac Rinaldo

Kimmo Timonen - Luke Schenn
Nicklas Grossmann - Braydon Coburn
Andrej Meszaros - Kurtis Foster

Ilya Bryzgalov
[Michael Leighton]

Healthy scratches: Jody Shelley, Tom Sestito, Bruno Gervais."

Looks pretty balanced.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
This doesn't make sense. He just needs to eat enough and he won't lose weight. I don't know the intensity of regular shifts and workouts in the NHL as compared to the OHL, but I would suspect there's even less time to train due to a condensed season and with the amount of play time he'd get he'll probably burn even less than he did in Oshawa. Anyway, my point is I don't see how a player would lose weight just because they come to the NHL.

yea. It's a Pejorative Slured worry. He's 6'1, 180 pounds startin on the 3rd line. He's fast as all hell and he's getting a shot cause of injuries. They just wanna find out how far this raw talent goes. This team is all about speed and youth upfront and veteran experience on the backend. i like that combo. high end risk upfront, safety around the net. let's see what we got here. use it all.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

it's not that simple. in a compact schedule they won't have as much time for proper resistance training/rest days which is crucial for maintaining muscle mass. Strenuous cardiovascular activity that lasts longer then 45 minutes (average) will cause muscle breakdown and without the appropriate diet, a strict exercise regimen and a suitable amount of rest he will more then likely lose a significant amount of muscle/weight. Often professional athletes put on extra muscle mass during the off season for this exact reason. It's actually not uncommon for a hockey player or even baseball player to lose 5-10 lbs during the course of their playing season. there is also the possibility that in a 24 hour period (say in back to back games for example) that without a proper diet he could lose an additional 7 lbs (up to 7 lbs everyone is different) in glycogen and water storages. this of course is not as much of an issue as i'm sure the organization has measures in place to prevent this, such as nutritional consultants or what have you.

everything could be fine, they could have enough time to squeeze everything in but according to Lavy in an interview earlier today the players will see about 4 days of practice and 4 days of rest per month. that really doesn't sound like enough rest to me but i could very well be wrong. i just think it's plausible is all. is that really a concern of mine, no. most players will be in the same boat.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Ugh. He'll probably be fine and I was just hoping a little more muscle and filling out would help him win more battles and stay up. Maybe I'm too enamored with the Kings size and mobility.

...and it is normal to lose mass weight over a season (ignoring replaceable water weight---goaltenders can easily lose and replace 5-10 lbs per game-- hell, football players can be forced to kill 4-10 poweraides over halftime) and bulk up and build muscle during the offseason.

Last edited:

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
it's not that simple. in a compact schedule they won't have as much time for proper resistance training/rest days which is crucial for maintaining muscle mass. Strenuous cardiovascular activity that lasts longer then 45 minutes (average) will cause muscle breakdown and without the appropriate diet, a strict exercise regimen and a suitable amount of rest he will more then likely lose a significant amount of muscle/weight. Often professional athletes put on extra muscle mass during the off season for this exact reason. It's actually not uncommon for a hockey player or even baseball player to lose 5-10 lbs during the course of their playing season. there is also the possibility that in a 24 hour period (say in back to back games for example) that without a proper diet he could lose an additional 7 lbs (up to 7 lbs everyone is different) in glycogen and water storages. this of course is not as much of an issue as i'm sure the organization has measures in place to prevent this, such as nutritional consultants or what have you.
OK, I thought he was talking about weight, not muscle mass. Weight is easy to maintain, muscle mass of course less so, if you can't train properly. Not being able to maintain a proper diet is an excuse, though, since it's not hard to meet your body's requirements as far as protein, essentials fats and so on are concerned. Heck, you've got mass food chains all over the place and if they're travelling through airports there's plenty of food choices there.

But yeah, I understand if in light of losing muscle mass he'd want to lose weight so as not to stay at the same number and just gain fat throughout the season, I'm just saying it's an excuse and poor planning if he loses weight despite him not wanting to. You do bring up a good point in regards to muscle mass, although to be honest I really don't know what facilities those guys have access to and how badly broken up their weight training routines get. When they're at home, I'm sure they have the means to work out, but on the road it might get tricky, despite presumably staying at hotels with gyms.

...and it is normal to lose mass weight over a season (ignoring replaceable water weight---goaltenders can easily lose and replace 5-10 lbs per game-- hell, football players can be forced to kill 4-10 poweraides over halftime) and bulk up and build muscle during the offseason.
Yeah, I'm aware of players bulking up during the offseason, but never thought about weight lost during the season itself. If they are to lose muscle mass due to not being able to train properly, then that's the best thing for them to do anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad