Scott Laughton impressing at camp

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Laughton has been impressing all years. Anyone who's watched the Gens this year knows he's going to be a good NHL player. He's very much relied on in Oshawa, along with Jenner and Biggs, to put up points and play a physical two-way game. I think he's going to be a Mike Richards type player, honestly.
The Richards comparison is very apt, IMHO. Laughton has good "hockey sense" in all directions, and that's the first thing that stood out to me, just like Richards, when they were relatively unheralded juniors... both hustle and use every ounce at their disposal, but they also see the game well, and use that vision well in both zones.

I think I picked Laughton something like 13th in my FHL entry draft last summer, I'm a believer. :) Never thought he'd be a candidate to crack the Flyers this early, mind you, but great to hear that he's showing well. :handclap:

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
Oh, wow, I'm glad you cleared up that confusion... I was basing my post on how Lavi handled his roster down the stretch and into the playoffs last season on top of what occurred in the AHL during the lockout with the players down there, but you have shown me the light with baseless opinion... how misguided of me.

Not quite following you here.

Wellwood emerged late in the year last year and IMO (and I think in Lavi's as well) moved past Rinaldo. In the playoffs he played 11 playoff games and saw 11:42 of ice time.

Rinaldo played 5 playoff games and saw 5:41 of ice time.

If anything, Lavi favored Wellwood to Rinaldo. Neither guy, is penciled in for anything.

RJ8812*

Wellwood is nothing. he won't be anything more than a 4th liner. He's a fast skater, and that's about it

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Wellwood is nothing. he won't be anything more than a 4th liner. He's a fast skater, and that's about it

Yeah...he's like a German Messerschmitt..blazing speed but flawed. He needs to learn to hone his offensive skills..whatever he has.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I still think Rinaldo is on this team as the 11/12 forward. Laviolette likes him and trusts him. Especially over Sestito and Shelley
As far as Laughton goes, I would have to agree that hes here for the 5 gamer until Briere is ready.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Please don't keep him!

We are likely going to lose Jenner and now possibly Laughton too.

Dear lord.

Solid player; However, he really could use another year in Jr. to dominate. :)

It's funny because Jenner is considered a Richards comparison and it seems like Laughton is going down the same path. IMO Jenner is a Richards, and Laughton will be a Richards-lite. (which should be encouraging for any team)

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Oh, wow, I'm glad you cleared up that confusion... I was basing my post on how Lavi handled his roster down the stretch and into the playoffs last season on top of what occurred in the AHL during the lockout with the players down there, but you have shown me the light with baseless opinion... how misguided of me.

Good, then if you're done with your nonsense we can move on.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I would have no objection of keeping him even when Briere comes back if he shows he is ready to stay in the nhl. We do need a natural center on the 4th line. (Talbot should stay on the shut down line with Couts at wing)

Without Briere:
Schenn/Giroux/Hartnell
Talbot/Couts/Voracek
Simmonds/Laughton/Read
Rinaldo/Feds/Wellwood
Sestito

With Briere:
Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek
Schenn/Briere/Simmonds
Talbot/Couts/Read
Feds/Laughton/Rinaldo
Sestito

Those lines aren't bad. Plus there will always be injuries for people to get shuffled around, especially playing in a high tempo system.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I would have no objection of keeping him even when Briere comes back if he shows he is ready to stay in the nhl. We do need a natural center on the 4th line. (Talbot should stay on the shut down line with Couts at wing)

Without Briere:
Schenn/Giroux/Hartnell
Talbot/Couts/Voracek
Simmonds/Laughton/Read
Rinaldo/Feds/Wellwood
Sestito

With Briere:
Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek
Schenn/Briere/Simmonds
Talbot/Couts/Read
Feds/Laughton/Rinaldo
Sestito

Those lines aren't bad. Plus there will always be injuries for people to get shuffled around, especially playing in a high tempo system.

I'd rather put Briere on Courturiers wing.

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Briere-Couturier-Voracek
Simmonds-Laughton-Read
Rinaldo-Talbot-Fedotenko

RJ8812*

compared to what other teams put out on the 3rd line id say wellwood is a pretty skilled guy.

Great Penatly killer too.

he's far from a "great" PKer. I'd say he's good enough to be on the PK because of his speed, but he's nothing special

RJ8812*

Please don't keep him!

We are likely going to lose Jenner and now possibly Laughton too.

Dear lord.

Solid player; However, he really could use another year in Jr. to dominate. :)

It's funny because Jenner is considered a Richards comparison and it seems like Laughton is going down the same path. IMO Jenner is a Richards, and Laughton will be a Richards-lite. (which should be encouraging for any team)

I don't think Laughton will stick with the club. He'll get his ffet wet, but once Briere is ready, they'll probably send him back

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't think Laughton will stick with the club. He'll get his ffet wet, but once Briere is ready, they'll probably send him back

I don't know. He's already got some big fans in Laviolette, Holmgren and Laperriere. If Laviolette thinks he's good enough to stay, he'll stay. We'll know more after the first three games. If Laughton's getting anywhere from 10 to 14 minutes a night, he'll be a keeper. If he's getting less than 10 and is a scratch, he's going back to junior.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

Have the Flyers done this at all recently? I mean the only guys I can think of making the team as 18 y/o rookies out of camp are Sbisa and Couturier, and neither of them got sent back down after the first couple games. To me it seems like their philosophy is if you make the team, you've made the team.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Have the Flyers done this at all recently? I mean the only guys I can think of making the team as 18 y/o rookies out of camp are Sbisa and Couturier, and neither of them got sent back down after the first couple games. To me it seems like their philosophy is if you make the team, you've made the team.

I think Zubrus made it....ultimately it wasn't the best decision for Zubrus although he's turned into a fine player.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
he's far from a "great" PKer. I'd say he's good enough to be on the PK because of his speed, but he's nothing special

We're talking about penciling him in over Zac Rinaldo here.

| Rinaldo | Wellwood
G/60|0.25|1.08
P/60|1.10|1.88
|
Corsi ON|-6.87|4.57
Corsi REL|-11.3|6.6
|
Goals For ON/60|2.21|3.76
Goals Against ON/60|2.33|1.08
Goal Diff ON/60 | -0.12 | +2.68
|
Off Zone Start%|47.6|45.0
Off Zone Finish%|44.8|46.6
Zone Finish Diff | -2.8 | +1.6
|
Pens Taken/60|3.1|0.3
Pens Drawn/60|2.3|0.5
Pens Diff/60 | -0.8 | +0.2

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There isn't really a large enough sample size since Wellwood only played 24 games in the regular season, but including his 11 playoff games, he was only on the ice for 3 goals against as a PKer, but he was used as a 3rd unit guy(<2 min per 60).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad