Speculation: Scott Hartnell

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I've always been a fan of Hartnell, he plays a "Shaw" type game but is bigger, The Jackets bought him out, I don't know about you but I think he would be a nice fit with the Hawks at the right price... At 3-3.5 per I would certainly take him..

I don't see him as an ideal LW on the Kane line, but he would be a really good 3rd line guy that could play with Schmaltz (if we trade AA and Kruger).....

IDK, just an idea... He would make the Hawks a bigger tougher team for sure...

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
3-3.5 seems high too high. But I'd certainly be interested in a 1 year deal. Solid 3rd liner who can play up every now and then at this point.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He might be a guy willing to take a Richards type deal given he's getting the buyout money, etc. I wouldn't mind him on a line with Hartman.

Last edited:

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
He might be a guy looking to take a Richards type deal given he's getting the buyout money, etc. I wouldn't mind him on a line with Hartman.

Good point, teams will lowball him knowing he has buyout money coming to him..

I been hearing the Hawks are interested in Gagner and/or Yak to play with Kane, IDK what to say about that but I IMO; Saad-xxx-Hartnell down the left would be pretty interesting (considering they all played on the Jackets last season and they had a really good year).... But if we bring in Gagner, AA can be traded for a fit for 2 LW...

Either way this will be an interesting UFA period for the Hawks, they're certainly going to look different that's for sure.. lol

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Start off with something like this.

Saad-Toews-Panik
Schmaltz-Anisimov-Kane
Hartnell-Kero-Hartman
Jurco-Dude from ARZ-Hayden
Tootoo

If DeBrincat lights up the AHL and the center depth is an issue, bump Schmaltz to 3c, Kero to 4c and slot in Alex at 2LW.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
If we had a chance landing Thornton for under 3 per I would trade AA for a decent defenseman, maybe Phaneuf if the Sens would retain...

Schmaltz-Thornton-Kane would be pretty interesting.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Where exactly are we going to get 3 mil to sign him? They are likely not going to use any Hossa LTIR money until after the season starts, that will allow them to go over the cap more. Outside of very low salary guys they will likely hold all the Hossa money for in season trades, which makes sense.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Where exactly are we going to get 3 mil to sign him? They are likely not going to use any Hossa LTIR money until after the season starts, that will allow them to go over the cap more. Outside of very low salary guys they will likely hold all the Hossa money for in season trades, which makes sense.

Hawks can go 10% over the cap, but they need to be compliant by the start of the season -- so they have space..

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
We are still $3MM over the cap. So a lot has to happen before he could come on board.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Hawks can go 10% over the cap, but they need to be compliant by the start of the season -- so they have space..

There is an article on chicagosports.com today explaining the situation. You will need to go to their twitter feed to access it. Basically it says if we wait until the season starts we can go over the hard cap quite a bit more. Not going to explain it now, go and read the article. My guess is the Hawks will do this and wait to make in season trades. It will allow them to go over the hard cap more and as the season goes on it will allow them to bring in more players on higher salaries. It's a gamble, but if we keep the Hossa money until closer to the trade deadline we could bring in multiple players with expiring contracts on higher salaries. You just have to hope the roster will be good enough to stay in contention until close to the trade deadline.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If we had a chance landing Thornton for under 3 per I would trade AA for a decent defenseman, maybe Phaneuf if the Sens would retain...

Schmaltz-Thornton-Kane would be pretty interesting.

A. I'd be fine with Thornton also, on the cheap, but why would you trade AA? The Hawks would have absolute trash for centers. You'd have Toews... and then an aging/slow Thornton for your 2nd line or 3rd line C? And then Kero and Schmaltz? :laugh:
No thanks to that lineup at C.

B. Phaneuf? Really? Again.. why do we continue to try and get slower?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
No. We are slow enough

Yeah, very reticent to bring in anyone who isn't fast. The only exceptions would be physical agitators who make a living in front of the net like Hartnell and even then it feels like it might be a bad idea. The only thing that seems like a good idea is building one of the fastest teams in the league around our core.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'd take Scotty for $2m and put him to the left of Kane and Anisimov. Easy minutes and plenty of offensive zone starts to combat his loss in foot speed. Also make that 2nd line less defensively inept.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Still mostly remember him for getting absolutely screwed by a ref in a game in the SCF in 2010, I think game 5 or 6. Boynton started a scrum after a whistle with Hartnell, did a lot "more" in the scrum than Hartnell did, but Hartell was the only one to get the 2 for roughing. He was in disbelief but didn't complain too much, strangely enough. I think that Hawks might have scored on the ensuing PP as well. :laugh:

Either way, that was 7 years ago and I'd take that player. Now? Maybe if he could be had for cheap.

HawksFan86

Jul 2, 2011
But if we bring in Gagner, AA can be traded for a fit for 2 LW...

Are you implying Gagner takes AA's place as 2C in that scenario?

No issue adding Gagner but Columbus used him properly, lots of PP time and 4th line. Play him up the lineup if injuries occur or if he can play on the wing next to Kane and Anisimov maybe try to get him back with Kane but I'm not sure if he plays any LW.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Still mostly remember him for getting absolutely screwed by a ref in a game in the SCF in 2010, I think game 5 or 6. Boynton started a scrum after a whistle with Hartnell, did a lot "more" in the scrum than Hartnell did, but Hartell was the only one to get the 2 for roughing. He was in disbelief but didn't complain too much, strangely enough. I think that Hawks might have scored on the ensuing PP as well. :laugh:

Either way, that was 7 years ago and I'd take that player. Now? Maybe if he could be had for cheap.

If Hawks don't trust their bottom 6 kids yet and if Hartnell still has game this is a no-brainer. Assuming he comes cheap and short term, which is by no means a given; Players like he are always in demand at crunch time..

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If Hawks don't trust their bottom 6 kids yet and if Hartnell still has game this is a no-brainer. Assuming he comes cheap and short term, which is by no means a given; Players like he are always in demand at crunch time..

exactly, crunch time. if it was me, 1.5 mil base salary, +bonuses.

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
That would be great but after last year I would bet he lands somewhere between 2-3 million.

I'd have to agree with this. I think it's a bit farfetched to think he'd sign for anything less.

With that being said, if we could somehow make it work without feeling hard pressed against the cap, I'd like to see him as a Hawk this season. That is if we can't sign Gagner at a reasonable price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad