Rumor: Scott Hartnell won't be back with the Predators

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'd be interested in Hartnell as a Rinaldo replacement and as a veteran locker room guy for the kids. Doubtful if Chayka would be interested, though.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
had his moments in the WPG series but I wasnt a huge fan of the move to begin with. Just never felt like a good fit. No surprise he wont be back

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
On the same $1M deal, I don't think a team could really go wrong. The Preds picked him up for depth, but didn't need as much depth in the end as they might have. He didn't get a lot of ice and opportunity, but at 13 goals, that's really making the most of his limited opportunity. He's slow and all, but he goes into all the scrums just like he always did, and he's ready to stir it up and be a good presence in the lockerroom. He's not "done" yet. There isn't really a role for him on the Preds who have crazy depth up front. But I'd be shocked if he couldn't contribute somewhere else. For at least another year. The end is nigh, but still has not quite arrived yet.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he can still play one more year, or he could play next year and just fall completely apart. I don't think he completely fell apart yet this past year, but it could be coming next year if he plays.

It wouldn't surprise me either way, if he did or if he didn't play ever again in the NHL It wouldn't be the first time we've seen a big, slow and (high mileage) 36 year old (he's been around since 2000) that isn't really lighting it up anymore, be phased out of the league and become so obsolete, they aren't given a new contract by an NHL team anywhere.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He's played more NHL games than any other player in his draft year. Bought out last year. Not renewed on a one-year show-me contract this year. It's been a great career, and perhaps time to hang them up.

He's earned about $50 million playing hockey, and grinding thru one more year at one or two million doesn't really add much to his life or career. Could be better to pay attention to himself, his wife and kids now. That's probably what he's worked for anyway.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Dude gets $1.25 million on his buyout next year. The cap hit is $3 million.

Good call. For some reason, I thought (incorrectly) that the bump in the buyout cap hit was due to a signing bonus.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
He's played more NHL games than any other player in his draft year. Bought out last year. Not renewed on a one-year show-me contract this year. It's been a great career, and perhaps time to hang them up.

Was it really a "show me" deal, or more of a one year rental on some veteran depth since they lost Neal and Fisher retired? I mean he signed on the first day of free agency. It wasn't like he was brought in on a PTO. And how do we know Hartnell didn't get offers from other teams for longer than a year, but instead chose to go a team that was 2 wins away from a Stanley Cup and looked ready to make another run? Despite the buyout, Hartnell was coming off a season where he had 37 points playing 3rd line minutes and he was similarly productive with the Preds.

He's earned about $50 million playing hockey, and grinding thru one more year at one or two million doesn't really add much to his life or career. Could be better to pay attention to himself, his wife and kids now. That's probably what he's worked for anyway.

Except possibly winning a Stanley Cup, if that's important to him... And IIRC, Hartnell doesn't have any kids... just cats, and just got married last summer, so packing up to go after another shot at a Cup ring probably won't be a huge deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad