Value of: Scott Darling

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Stl fans were interested in Darling + Derek Ryans rights for Allen. I'm on board with that.

Let Ward walk and try to get Lehner.
I think you would be hard pressed to find many Blues fans in on that deal. Allen can make some bad plays at times by being over committed, but he doesn't make the bonehead plays that Darling does too often. Lesser of two evils.

Reactions: DaveG

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What would Carolina add to Darling to trade for Aaron Dell? Would you take Paul Martin and Melker Karlsson off our hands? lol

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Chicago Regular season hero.
Chicago Playoff Hero
Chicago's feel good story.
The man that over came and became an NHL goal tender!
One of the biggest busts in Carolina's off season history.
What is his current value?

Value of Scott Darling:

I'd introduce Darling to Benoit Allaire and never look back, but it's a good thing I'm not in charge of the Rangers.
In other words, I do believe Darling can "work things out" or he'd just be better behind a better blue line; currently, the Islanders (nor the Rangers, for that matter) do not fit that bill.

We can add 4 or 5 more contracts if needed.

Is that you bern?
nope, see me below.

It needs to be a 3 way, with a random team retaining

@bernmeister
Work this deal out for us.

As requested, here are my 2 cents.
For a few months now, my suggestion is Rangers, b'c of Benny Allaire.

It's 2 for 2, one bad contract, one prospect area of need each.

Smith + Georgiev
for
Darling + McKeown

The vets are ballpark same $ and term.
Smith a lefty but plays right side also
proved he could play, signed a new deal, showed up fat and unmotivated
Canes do well with D, and he could be a fit at 3rd pair or 7th if others like Faulk are moved.
In any event he provides toughness.

Similarly Darling looked worth a contract and we see what happened.
NY has a chance to rehab him, then flip for assets

The other guys are both elc
Carolina can spare the (R)D, which NY badly needs
NY can spare Georgiev, who, short audition, but looked good.

That's what comes to mind.
So even, that I didn't have to add pieces or picks.

Thoughts?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
nope, see me below.

As requested, here are my 2 cents.
For a few months now, my suggestion is Rangers, b'c of Benny Allaire.

It's 2 for 2, one bad contract, one prospect area of need each.

Smith + Georgiev
for
Darling + McKeown

The vets are ballpark same $ and term.
Smith a lefty but plays right side also
proved he could play, signed a new deal, showed up fat and unmotivated
Canes do well with D, and he could be a fit at 3rd pair or 7th if others like Faulk are moved.
In any event he provides toughness.

Similarly Darling looked worth a contract and we see what happened.
NY has a chance to rehab him, then flip for assets

The other guys are both elc
Carolina can spare the (R)D, which NY badly needs
NY can spare Georgiev, who, short audition, but looked good.

That's what comes to mind.
So even, that I didn't have to add pieces or picks.

Thoughts?

No thoughts. Just, no.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Chicago Regular season hero.

Chicago Playoff Hero

Chicago's feel good story.

The man that over came and became an NHL goal tender!

One of the biggest busts in Carolina's off season history.

What is his current value?

Chicago had a pretty good team in front of him--so IMO you are giving him too much credit

I think we saw the real darling with the Canes
his 4.1 mil contract is only good to the canes because it will help them get to the floor for the cap

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Throw him on the ice next season and hope he can pull out of the tailspin. Assuming he doesn't, then you feed him easy starts while giving the lions share to whatever backup you have, presumably Ward.

Yeah, 'cause that worked out so well this season.

That was sarcasm for the uninformed.

Any GM that touches Darling after this past season is putting his own neck on the chopping block, unless he's shipping out an equally bad situation. If that's the case, where would either team benefit? The only other option is a Canes overpayment to get a team to take him that is planning on tanking and just need someone to stick in the crease.

Last edited:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Yeah, 'cause that worked out so well this season.

That was sarcasm for the uninformed.

Any GM that touches Darling after this past season is putting his own neck on the chopping block, unless he's shipping out an equally bad situation. If that's the case, where would either team benefit? The only other option is a Canes overpayment to get a team to take him that is planning on tanking and just need someone to stick in the crease.

So I suggest "sticking him in the crease" for the time being, and you scoff with a sarcastic comment. But they you go on to describe how no team should or would trade for him.

You also conveniently removed the part of my post that said you can later pay a team to take him, while you go on to say they should pay a team to take him.

What's the deal here, sheriff?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
So I suggest "sticking him in the crease" for the time being, and you scoff with a sarcastic comment. But they you go on to describe how no team should or would trade for him.

You also conveniently removed the part of my post that said you can later pay a team to take him, while you go on to say they should pay a team to take him.

I think the deal is pretty obvious: sheriff bart doesn't want to risk next season by sticking Darling out there at the start.

I think this ultimately ends up with Darling as the backup or preferably in Charlotte rather than being dealt.

Reactions: DaveG

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think the deal is pretty obvious: sheriff bart doesn't want to risk next season by sticking Darling out there at the start.

Well maybe it was just that I didn't like how he said it.

Anyway. I'd think it's pretty obvious that this ends up with Darling as the backup or in the minors. Not sure why you can't see it.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge

You also leave out the part where you were presuming Ward as the starter also. That Ward/Darling combo was where my sarcasm came from.

I don't want to see Darling any where near the Canes crease after he got paid, and came to camp out of shape and was a major flop. Sticking him in the crease again and hoping is just too much of a chance. Signing him was a mistake. Mistakes happen. Buy him out and move on. I didn't suggest that they should pay a team to take him. I stated that was an option.

As @Chrispy said, Charlotte is a possibility, but I wonder if that stunts the progress of a prospect there.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
You also leave out the part where you were presuming Ward as the starter also. That Ward/Darling combo was where my sarcasm came from.

I don't want to see Darling any where near the Canes crease after he got paid, and came to camp out of shape and was a major flop. Sticking him in the crease again and hoping is just too much of a chance. Signing him was a mistake. Mistakes happen. Buy him out and move on. I didn't suggest that they should pay a team to take him. I stated that was an option.

As @Chrispy said, Charlotte is a possibility, but I wonder if that stunts the progress of a prospect there.

Well this all sounds reasonable enough. And I don't have any desire to argue. So maybe it was just a case of things getting misread, on my end as much as anyone else's.

But I will say that I didn't try to say Ward should be your starter. I said whatever backup you have, and just threw Ward's name in there because I could see him coming back. I know he loves the team and the area, and his is a backup that can start for stretches. I'll defer to you or any Canes fans if that is a wrong assumption.

My point was that if Darling does play for the Canes next season, and I think he will, his backup has a high chance of playing over 42 games.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
i did apply some rationale, its not my fault you can't see it
Aren’t you a Leafs fan? For what reason would they trade their MVP for a far inferior goalie with a bad contract? Please explain your logic.

Maybe you see some upside in McBackup? I mean, he had better numbers than Andersen.. right?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Aren’t you a Leafs fan? For what reason would they trade their MVP for a far inferior goalie with a bad contract? Please explain your logic.

Maybe you see some upside in McBackup? I mean, he had better numbers than Andersen.. right?

yes i'm a leafs fan and here's the logic. the leafs get a top pair shutdown dman which is exactly what they need. he can play on the pk and give hainsey less ice time so he doesn't get worn out throughout the season like he did this year. hainsey would be moved to the bottom pairing where he is better suited. our defense will be much better if we had reilly-pesce on the top pair as opposed to reilly-hainsey. he won't come cheap however. the cost will be nylander, who is expected to command about 6 million, possibly more, on his next deal, which is 2 million more than what brett pesche's making right now. he is clearly inferior to marner and matthews and has a slight possibility of playing C, which can appeal for carolina. if he doesn't become a C, he's just another winger, and we are loaded on the right wing.

frederik andersen is somewhat overrated. for a guy who is noted as the leafs mvp this season, he gives up quite a bit of weak goals and is way to inconsistent. imo he isn't a guy that we can win a cup with. scott darling probably isn't that guy either but he's cheaper by a million dollars and would have to be taken on in order to get peshe.

as for who our starting goalie will be, we can sign someone from free agency or give darling a shot. if he doesn't work out we can waive him.

maybe the 2nd round pick can be removed and it could be them adding the 2nd round pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad