Value of: Scott Darling

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, the Carolina's D caused him to miss pucks from mid ice. Always love these insightful, intelligent, well thought out posts.
For those not keeping track at home... note the plural. Note how nobody is correcting him.

Ladies and gentlemen, Scott Darling....

lFGZBT.gif

12_1_DD_PPG.gif

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Ahh yes the backhanded insult to the defense. Nah, can't be that Darling is a hot steaming pile of Fido pudding, no the defense has to be to blame for his inability to live.

Darling's value is a bag of pucks, and even then the Canes would need to add 3 shots of bourbon to get it done.

Yeah, the Carolina's D caused him to miss pucks from mid ice. Always love these insightful, intelligent, well thought out posts.

I went back and reviewed the exchange between myself and the other poster and it almost seems like you guys intentionally missed the point. The poster I was responding to said:
I'd introduce Darling to Benoit Allaire and never look back, but it's a good thing I'm not in charge of the Rangers.
In other words, I do believe Darling can "work things out" or he'd just be better behind a better blue line; currently, the Islanders (nor the Rangers, for that matter) do not fit that bill.
Better than what's already supposed to be a great young blueline?

If you take issue with a "backhanded insult to the defense," it would more effective to take up your criticism with the appropriate poster. My contention was that at worst (assuming he really was as bad as advertised) he helps the Islanders tank if Tavares is gone.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
And it's not like those were the only ones, seemingly any time the puck would be loose in the crease on even the most benign looking play seeing him attempt to cover it was like watching a cat trying to catch a laser pointer... and just about as successful.

He looked great and poised to me.

He would have been the MVP if it wasn’t for our forwards never scoring.

Also if you trade for Darling, you get his sister’s hot takes.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
@Sila v Kucherove I mis-understood your post so I apologize, but I assure you it wasn't intentional. Maybe we are too sensitive from all the fans over the past years that have told us things like "If x is so good, how come you aren't making the playoffs" as if that's valid reasoning.

I sincerely read your post as meaning the defense really isn't as good as they are purported to be so that's why Darling wasn't so good.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I went back and reviewed the exchange between myself and the other poster and it almost seems like you guys intentionally missed the point. The poster I was responding to said:

If you take issue with a "backhanded insult to the defense," it would more effective to take up your criticism with the appropriate poster. My contention was that at worst (assuming he really was as bad as advertised) he helps the Islanders tank if Tavares is gone.
He is the best possible goalie to dress as your #1 if your goal is to tank the entire season away.

Hell... the Isles could have Tavares, and with Darling you're challenging for top lottery odds.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
He is the best possible goalie to dress as your #1 if your goal is to tank the entire season away.

Hell... the Isles could have Tavares, and with Darling you're challenging for top lottery odds.
I could totally see that. I just think the response you and BBA quoted were taken out of the context in which they were intended.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I could totally see that. I just think the response you and BBA quoted were taken out of the context in which they were intended.
Fair enough, as was stated above, we get a little testy over the "if ____ is so good, why haven't they _____". We literally hear that during any thread in here as justification on why literally any player we are talking about sucks.

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014

In post #17, I addressed your question about "what's already supposed to be a great young blueline." I'll admit that I barely watch the 'canes, so idk if their blueline is actually good, or just hyped to be good, based on pedigree. I really don't know.
Maybe my comment about a better blueline in front of him isn't warranted, but I really don't know.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
In post #17, I addressed your question about "what's already supposed to be a great young blueline." I'll admit that I barely watch the 'canes, so idk if their blueline is actually good, or just hyped to be good, based on pedigree. I really don't know.
I was trying to argue (implicitly) that the quality of Carolina's blueline seems to be recognized well enough not to be terribly controversial, so laying his performance at the feet of any blueline to make him workable as a starter seems a little suspect (as the gaffes mentioned in this thread attest to). I think we also disagreed with respect to what the Islanders approach for next season could be, although that's tangential to the responses that my post engendered.

Reactions: cptjeff

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
would the blackhawks take him back at %50 retention? Hawks need a good backup, and Darling seemed to play well in their system

Reactions: DaveG

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
would the blackhawks take him back at %50 retention? Hawks need a good backup, and Darling seemed to play well in their system

This is something I've wondered as well. May be best case scenario for all parties involved.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

I think they would. I’d like to aim higher but with the uncertainty in goal, I think they take the offer.

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
I was trying to argue (implicitly) that the quality of Carolina's blueline seems to be recognized well enough not to be terribly controversial, so laying his performance at the feet of any blueline to make him workable as a starter seems a little suspect (as the gaffes mentioned in this thread attest to). I think we also disagreed with respect to what the Islanders approach for next season could be, although that's tangential to the responses that my post engendered.

Yeah fair. Like I said, I see the hype, but don't really watch CAR to note if their blueline was good enough or not. It doesn't help Darling's case that he let in awful goals throughout the season, something you simply cannot blame on the D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad