Scott Burnside of ESPN ranks Bruins 10th in East (19th Overall)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fair assessment as I think most here see the Bruins currently a playoff bubble team

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings/_/season/2016/week/0

Boston
0-0-0

Last Week: 0 Weird times in Boston under new GM Don Sweeney, but there are still enough core pieces, along with the addition of streaky scorer Matt Beleskey, to keep the Bruins in the hunt. Still, the back end remains a work in progress and the Bruins need to find some help for netminder Tuukka Rask.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
And San Lose right behind them at 20

"The Sharks weren't that far off the playoff bubble a season ago, and we love the addition of defenseman Paul Martin on an acceptable four-year deal. Is newly acquired Martin Jones the answer in goal? Debate that one among yourselves."

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Personally, I think we're better than Florida and Ottawa. Florida has a really bright future with Barkov, Ekblad and Huberdeau etc., but I still think a non-injured Bs squad plays better. We'll see. :)

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Seems fair. This new team has to prove itself in many ways. New faces, new GM, vets that need to get back to form.

I'm hoping no early season injuries to Chara and Krejci again. That alone will be huge.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Seems right. I think we're one good defenseman away from being on the right side of the playoff bubble. We're not cup contenders for sure, but Chara, McQuaid, Seidenberg, Krug, Miller (!), and Trotman (!!!!) need some help, and I think it comes externally.

That said, it's good that we've been getting some offensive yang to add to our defensive yin...which is part of the reason the Kessel trade made me snicker a little bit. Pittsburgh's making the exact opposite mistakes to the ones we made last year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Personally, I think we're better than Florida and Ottawa. Florida has a really bright future with Barkov, Ekblad and Huberdeau etc., but I still think a non-injured Bs squad plays better. We'll see. :)

That D is an absolute mess right now, we have no idea how good Chara/Seids will be next year, we have no idea how good the kids will be next year, we are missing 1 top pairing D and 1 2nd pairing D. If you say your goal is to get into playoffs then that is not a great way to start the season, but if they are with me and thinking it's a re-tool year then it's a different story.

I was dreaming that we could finally limit Charas and Seids minutes next year but now their minutes are just going up.

We need to add 1 top6 winger and 1 topD, 1 of them now and the other at the deadline.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
i'm not sold on half the teams in front of them.

fla, ott, wpg, nyi, det, mtl, cbj, cal. is MIN really #5? i know they had a nice run but cmon that roster is not that scary and are they expecting dubynk to play like price again?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
i'm not sold on half the teams in front of them.

fla, ott, wpg, nyi, det, mtl, cbj, cal. is MIN really #5? i know they had a nice run but cmon that roster is not that scary and are they expecting dubynk to play like price again?

Minnesota already had one of the best D groups last year and it's only getting better. Brodin/Dumba will keep improving, Suter is in his prime and 2nd pairing guys are starting their prime.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
such a crapshoot, toss is an injury or two for any team to a vital core player and it`ll have the potential to derail many and with all the new faces, it`s far from easy to say how this team will actually play together once the dust settles on who`s in the lineup

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
Minnesota already had one of the best D groups last year and it's only getting better. Brodin/Dumba will keep improving, Suter is in his prime and 2nd pairing guys are starting their prime.

i'm not saying their team is bad. i just wouldn't pencil them in as a top team. wouldn't shock me if they missed the playoffs.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
It would be a colossal failure if that team missed the playoffs.
dubnyk played over his head and they would have missed with 5 or 6 less points. i guess it does help that there are only 14 teams in the west and some you could practically eliminate already.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
dubnyk played over his head and they would have missed with 5 or 6 less points. i guess it does help that there are only 14 teams in the west and some you could practically eliminate already.

Ya, last year was almost a disaster for them. But that D is so loaded and the forward core is deep enough that they shouldn't even be teetering on the edge of missing the playoffs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
i'm not saying their team is bad. i just wouldn't pencil them in as a top team. wouldn't shock me if they missed the playoffs.

With that D and their style Dud should be atleas okay and that should get them a playoff spot.

They lost completely their confidence thanks to Kuemper and his problems.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Honestly I think it is a bit optimistic given the roster July 5th 2015. Then again I don't believe the roster we have today will be the roster we start the season with.

I am fairly sure one defenseman will be added, and it remains quite possible that there will be at least one more shake up in our top 9, and maybe even on the 4th line as well

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Depressing to think this team could still have the following core:

Lucic/Krejci/Seguin
Marchand/Bergeron

Chara-Boychuck
Krug-Hamilton

Rask

No reason to think we wouldn't have Pastrnak either, unless we drafted later than 25 in 2014. I roughly sketched the numbers and this team fits under the cap with a 22 man roster.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Lucic/Krejci/Seguin
Marchand/Bergeron

Chara-Boychuck
Krug-Hamilton

Rask

No reason to think we wouldn't have Pastrnak either, unless we drafted later than 25 in 2014. I roughly sketched the numbers and this team fits under the cap with a 22 man roster.

Well to fit the team under the cap, almost every other player would have to be on an Entry level or veteran minimum contract,

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA

Lucic/Krejci/Seguin
Marchand/Bergeron

Chara-Boychuck
Krug-Hamilton

Rask

seems like kind of a stretch. that's 60 million for 10 guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad