OT: Scotiabank Arena Venue Reimagination Project

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Never saw a Leaf game in Toronto before... After this "face lift", will not be able to ever.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Completely irrelevant to this thread but found it odd that the article says this is “2 weeks before the start of the Toronto Raptors season” with no mention of the Leafs.

Also hopefully we get concept designs soon.

Reactions: BTP

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Scotiabank Arena is technically old enough to already graduate from uni and get a job. 25 years old in February. Makes you feel old, don’t it?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's probably expecting tickets, concessions, parking, merchandise to raise prices to account for the facelift.

Those have only gone up marginally over the years and anyone who is parking at the rink I can't imagine is too worried about the cost or they would park in the 1000 other options near by.

Have much did things increase at the dome?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I'm assuming the term "facelift" isn't referring to replacing normal wear and tear elements of the facility. I find it a little odd that so much money would be earmarked to upgrade largely superficial aspects of a facility that has zero issues with selling seats and boxes for its 2 major tenants. It's not like a facelift is needed to boost attendance. It made complete sense with the Blue Jays to make their home park more desirable to visit.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
From articles posted earlier in the year in regards to Rogers Center and Jays increases due to renovations, they went up substantially.

Long time season ticket holders were furious.
Thanks, didn't know that.

The few games I went to this year, I didn't really notice anything different. Tickets were still reasonable and beer overpriced.
I don't know that they can charge much more for things than they do at the SBA.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Thanks, didn't know that.

The few games I went to this year, I didn't really notice anything different. Tickets were still reasonable and beer overpriced.
I don't know that they can charge much more for things than they do at the SBA.
I'm just going off articles posted earlier in the year. Perhaps it was only certain sections that went up an insane amount, but there definitely a cost increase.

I remember one article where a season ticket holder posted there tickets went up 800%, and the Blue Jays replied that it was a mistake and they "only" increased by 140% lol

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Scotiabank Arena is technically old enough to already graduate from uni and get a job. 25 years old in February. Makes you feel old, don’t it?
The arena changed majors twice, skipped a year to travel around Europe, has no personal savings and now has an email job at GloboCorp doing nothing it couldn't have done back when Dion Phaneuf was the captain.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm just going off articles posted earlier in the year. Perhaps it was only certain sections that went up an insane amount, but there definitely a cost increase.

I remember one article where a season ticket holder posted there tickets went up 800%, and the Blue Jays replied that it was a mistake and they "only" increased by 140% lol
That's crazy. Not sure what it would take to give up the tickets but an increase like that would make me think about it.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

Those very large increases are for people who had seats in the areas that are going to be turned into the new "premium clubs".

I have a co-worker who has season seats were in one of those areas, and to get seats in the exact same spot they were told it would be way more, but were offered seats in the regular areas for a much smaller increase.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Those very large increases are for people who had seats in the areas that are going to be turned into the new "premium clubs".

I have a co-worker who has season seats were in one of those areas, and to get seats in the exact same spot they were told it would be way more, but were offered seats in the regular areas for a much smaller increase.
There is always more to every story. I know many think MLSE is this evil empire but they have always been very easy to deal with in my experience.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

The article I read had these people being moved to another row outside of the "Premium Lounge".

They miscommunication in price was the 813% increase if they stayed in their current seats. Moving back a row outaide of the premium lounge gave them an increase of only 140%

They've been season ticket holders since 1977.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
The arena changed majors twice, skipped a year to travel around Europe, has no personal savings and now has an email job at GloboCorp doing nothing it couldn't have done back when Dion Phaneuf was the captain.
Christ almighty does this resonate like a mf'er

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
$350M for a facelift. $1.2B for Calgary's new rink. Skydome cost $300M total and it was a giant scandal. Even in today's dollars since 1989 assuming ave. 2.5% inflation, that's still not even $700M for a 50,000 seat facility with a retractable roof. The canceled Eglington subway was budgeted at $1B in 1995. Now the Eglington crosstown. mostly above ground, is now at $16B and counting. Everything's insane these days, I have no idea what the rules are anymore when it comes to major projects.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
$350M for a facelift. $1.2B for Calgary's new rink. Skydome cost $300M total and it was a giant scandal. Even in today's dollars since 1989 assuming ave. 2.5% inflation, that's still not even $700M for a 50,000 seat facility with a retractable roof. The canceled Eglington subway was budgeted at $1B in 1995. Now the Eglington crosstown. mostly above ground, is now at $16B and counting. Everything's insane these days, I have no idea what the rules are anymore when it comes to major projects.
Skydome cost $570M.

EDIT: Eglinton Crosstown is majority underground. The 90s Eglinton subway was only planned from Eglinton West Station to Keele.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Calgary has a lot more accessibility to land and ability to build a new rink in a prime spot .. and that's still a $1.2 billion facility.

Problem for Toronto for a new 'dome and arena is that they are already in prime real estate positions, almost integral to the infrastructure in the downtown core. To replace either is so immense it's hard to even just grasp a feasible location that could be comparable.

I mean it will happen at some point .. but the scale is going to be obscene.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Not sure why they would bother releasing details without releasing details.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

This image comes to mind

71jKG%2B56YuL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad