Beginners: scoring drought

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
I highly recommend reading the book "Hockey Tough" by Saul Miller. It discusses the mental side of hockey, and most importantly tells you how to stay mentally sharp. This book helped my mental acuity not only on the ice, but in all walks of life. One of the best books I have ever read.

As you can tell, I am also a disciple of Dr. Miller. "Hockey Tough" truly changed my life; I'm glad you recommended it because I start to sound like a broken record when I keep telling people to read it!

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
im not superstitious (welll i try not to be) but i havent scored since i cut my flow. i will be changing up my pre-game routine tomorrow, and just incase i dont score, i have a slumpbuster lined up for this weekend. i also bought that book you guys recommended..looks like a great read from the reviews im seeing. thanks again guys...ill post some updates after my game tomorrow night

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
im not superstitious (welll i try not to be) but i havent scored since i cut my flow. i will be changing up my pre-game routine tomorrow, and just incase i dont score, i have a slumpbuster lined up for this weekend. i also bought that book you guys recommended..looks like a great read from the reviews im seeing. thanks again guys...ill post some updates after my game tomorrow night

Just remember that this is your third season of beer league hockey ever and that this kind of stuff is to be expected. Just keep having fun and you'll get through it and start scoring in no time...

and slump busters can only be a good thing ;)

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Just remember that this is your third season of beer league hockey ever and that this kind of stuff is to be expected. Just keep having fun and you'll get through it and start scoring in no time...

I wish I could say that I've scored in beer league! I've been playing 15 months and never yet scored on my league team. :(

I've scored in a couple of organized pick-up games that I play in, and in some scrimmages...but never on my league team.

Maybe I need to try a slump buster? I'm sure the husband would be totally on board with it. He's been playing now since November and he has more goals than I do. :shakehead

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
well i didnt score, the captain went to hawaii so i had to jump back on D to help out. we play tomorrow night so hopefully ill get to play up in my normal position

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I wish I could say that I've scored in beer league! I've been playing 15 months and never yet scored on my league team. :(

I've scored in a couple of organized pick-up games that I play in, and in some scrimmages...but never on my league team.

Maybe I need to try a slump buster? I'm sure the husband would be totally on board with it. He's been playing now since November and he has more goals than I do. :shakehead

Put those pucks on net baby! Lol. One is bound to go in eventually... Just gotta shoot it. Use a screen if possible.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Put those pucks on net baby! Lol. One is bound to go in eventually... Just gotta shoot it. Use a screen if possible.

Part of the issue is that I almost never touch the puck in that league. Nobody ever passes to me. In my developmental league I'm actually an ok player, so people see me as a viable option for a pass. But in the other league, someone passed to me once, 12 months ago when I was a brand new player. I didn't catch it, so ever since its assumed that I'm not an option. Seriously not an option, as in i can see the person with the puck look up to see who is open, see me out there all alone (because the other teams seem to have figured out that im never going to be near the puck, so they don't bother watching me), they'll see another guy covered by 2 people and then they'll either pass to THAT guy, or last resort,just skate it up themselves.

I still may not be a great player but jeez, I've been playing 3-4 times a week for 15 months now. Is it not out of the question that I may have gotten better? In my game yesterday I had two cross-ice passes to me and caught them both. I also had a couple of SOG, so there was at least a chance. I also got a nice tip-in standing in front of the net. We still lost, but it wasn't like I caused it.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

unless you forget to wear a helmet..........

also OP you didnt mention that you cut your flow originally, thats the problem right there, your balance is off because you dont have the wings/stabilizers. try putting a piece of tape behind your ear to trick your mind into thinking you have flow attached.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Part of the issue is that I almost never touch the puck in that league. Nobody ever passes to me. In my developmental league I'm actually an ok player, so people see me as a viable option for a pass. But in the other league, someone passed to me once, 12 months ago when I was a brand new player. I didn't catch it, so ever since its assumed that I'm not an option. Seriously not an option, as in i can see the person with the puck look up to see who is open, see me out there all alone (because the other teams seem to have figured out that im never going to be near the puck, so they don't bother watching me), they'll see another guy covered by 2 people and then they'll either pass to THAT guy, or last resort,just skate it up themselves.

I still may not be a great player but jeez, I've been playing 3-4 times a week for 15 months now. Is it not out of the question that I may have gotten better? In my game yesterday I had two cross-ice passes to me and caught them both. I also had a couple of SOG, so there was at least a chance. I also got a nice tip-in standing in front of the net. We still lost, but it wasn't like I caused it.

since slumpbusters are hard for the ladies i would suggest crashing the net, you dont need a dirty dangle to score. get in front of the net and go for the reebs. I know when we have girls play the boys arent as hard on them in front of the net, just get greasy and dirty and pot some garbage,

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
since slumpbusters are hard for the ladies i would suggest crashing the net, you dont need a dirty dangle to score. get in front of the net and go for the reebs. I know when we have girls play the boys arent as hard on them in front of the net, just get greasy and dirty and pot some garbage,

Yeah, I try to get in front of the net. I haven't gotten too many chances at garbage this season. it seems that every time we get it in the zone, I'm in place and...it goes back out and we have to tag up.

But you're right about the boys not being as tough on the girls. I actually had a guy tell me a couple of weeks ago that if I stand in front of the net, I'd probably get hit. I assume he meant with a puck? Anyway, I thought that was kind of funny...did he think I wasn't aware of the fact that pucks tend to come flying in the general direction of the net?

It was an improvement, though - usually the opposing team just completely ignores my presence. I guess he thought maybe I would thank him for the warning and move out of the way so I wouldn't get hit by any flying pucks.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I try to get in front of the net. I haven't gotten too many chances at garbage this season. it seems that every time we get it in the zone, I'm in place and...it goes back out and we have to tag up.

But you're right about the boys not being as tough on the girls. I actually had a guy tell me a couple of weeks ago that if I stand in front of the net, I'd probably get hit. I assume he meant with a puck? Anyway, I thought that was kind of funny...did he think I wasn't aware of the fact that pucks tend to come flying in the general direction of the net?

It was an improvement, though - usually the opposing team just completely ignores my presence. I guess he thought maybe I would thank him for the warning and move out of the way so I wouldn't get hit by any flying pucks.

he was trying to wheel you, aka he wants to hit it.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

Part of the issue is that I almost never touch the puck in that league. Nobody ever passes to me. In my developmental league I'm actually an ok player, so people see me as a viable option for a pass. But in the other league, someone passed to me once, 12 months ago when I was a brand new player. I didn't catch it, so ever since its assumed that I'm not an option.

How's your shot? Your puck handling?

I'd work on those A LOT. If you're not too strong, maybe work out if you can, do some pushups and forearm/wrist exercises.

Completely understand about not getting passed to...that happens a lot when I play up. You just have to keep working on the skills to make chances for yourself.

If you can skate well, you're not far off from being a very good stickhandler. Just taking the puck wide is enough to beat a lot of mediocre defensemen.

From there, just get the shot off, and it will go.

I also know what you're talking about with standing in front of the net. Never seems to work because the team can't hold the zone. I'd rather support the puck, either be a passing option behind the net or skate towards the puck carrier and try to disrupt his checker.

If the puck works towards the point, that's when I love to be out front. Get in front of the goalie, screen for the shooter, and try and get a little tip on the puck.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
My shot is actually pretty good, as far as accuracy goes - I can put it on the net (or within a couple of inches) about 90% of the time. So if there ever happened to be someone there waiting for a chance to get a garbage goal or a tip-in, it could work out nicely. I notice that a LOT of guys in every single place I've ever played work on their shot - but they just want to be loud and strong, not accurate! I know so many of them who hit the glass or the boards a lot and everyone thinks they're great because they have such a hard shot - but they never, ever hit the net. And yet they keep practicing the same thing over and over. I just don't get it, you don't get any points for being able to make a really hard shot that ends up bouncing off the glass or just making a loud noise.

Puck handling is something I want to work on more. We did some great drills this past week that can be done off-ice, and since there are several players in my household, they would be very easy to do.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
And now I'm in a slump. No goals in 5 games. 3 assists during that span, but I didn't really deserve at least one of them. I've been playing pretty well so I'm not dispairing yet, but I'm just starting to get frustrated.

I broke a stick in the last game and I have a new one coming tomorrow, so maybe that will help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad