Beginners: scoring drought

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
i need help!!
im in my third full season of hockey, and i only have 1 goal with 6 assist through 14 games played. last season, i was at 13 goals and 21 assists through 20 games played. im playing better although im on a much less-talented line but i cannot for the life of me figure out the huge disparity in point production. im skating much better, im making plays, giving good passes, etc...i just cant get the puck in the net! even more frustrating is the fact that i bought a net over the season break and im taking 60-100 shots a day. my accuracy is better than its ever been but i still cant score! any pointers would be much appreciated

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Being on a less talented line makes a HUGE difference. I currently play on three teams at three different competition levels, let's call them teams A, B and C. I score much more in team A, at the highest competition level, than I do on team B because I'm surrounded by better players. I get crisper passes in better spots, I get rebound goals off of shots by my linemates, I get more assists because the guys I play with are more likely to finish my passes or put in rebounds off my shots, and the D is less likely to collapse on me because I'm playing with flashy scorers.

Also, if you're superstitious at all, change some things up. Park in a different spot, change your stick tape color, get dressed in a different order, or do something else to switch it up.

If all else fails, drink one beer before your next game. It won't get you drunk, and you won't squeeze the stick so tight.

Good luck! You'll bust out soon enough.

JR97

May 16, 2012
I mostly play D anymore so I don't worry about scoring as much, but when I was a forward going through slumps I'd simplify and go for the coyote ugly goals. Hang in front, screen, pounce on rebounds, whatever. I'm a little guy so my tendency isn't to go and bang in front but that's where the high percentage chances are going to come from.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Being on a less talented line makes a HUGE difference. I currently play on three teams at three different competition levels, let's call them teams A, B and C. I score much more in team A, at the highest competition level, than I do on team B because I'm surrounded by better players. I get crisper passes in better spots, I get rebound goals off of shots by my linemates, I get more assists because the guys I play with are more likely to finish my passes or put in rebounds off my shots, and the D is less likely to collapse on me because I'm playing with flashy scorers.

Also, if you're superstitious at all, change some things up. Park in a different spot, change your stick tape color, get dressed in a different order, or do something else to switch it up.

If all else fails, drink one beer before your next game. It won't get you drunk, and you won't squeeze the stick so tight.

Good luck! You'll bust out soon enough.

Definitely beer or two before the game!

Thesensation19*

Great post for starters.

1) Practice- Your shooting 60-100x a day but are you challenging yourself. Most players like to shoot corners or posts for practice. Try to attack it from different angles, try to shoot at different angles... Also try to practice shooting sides. Just be creative when your shooting on it... I hope those 60 shots arent coming from a stationary position.

Sounds like an Ovechkin slump. You may be playing better, feel better and shoot more but its the creativity in your offense that can produce consistent goals. Adam Oates I heard worked 1 on 1 with Ovi in many shooting drills.

Dishing him insane passes from off the boards, on one leg, off the the breakaway, through his legs and even behind him. Asking him to shoot quicker and harder. Didnt he have 33 goals this year? Most coming from 2nd half of season lol

So maybe you need to work on your release and your body language but no way for me to tell without watching you...

Are you using ice or roller pucks. Rollers are much lighter. Try to use ice pucks and green bisucuits (2nd edition). * i remember i use to practice with a roller hockey ball a whole lot in a week and the first game I had I had a break away and a chance to score top shelf. I lifted it clear over the boards lol, simply because I was so use to a ball and its physics rather than a puck. Same thing I believe goes for a puck's weight.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
i need help!!
im in my third full season of hockey, and i only have 1 goal with 6 assist through 14 games played. last season, i was at 13 goals and 21 assists through 20 games played. im playing better although im on a much less-talented line but i cannot for the life of me figure out the huge disparity in point production. im skating much better, im making plays, giving good passes, etc...i just cant get the puck in the net! even more frustrating is the fact that i bought a net over the season break and im taking 60-100 shots a day. my accuracy is better than its ever been but i still cant score! any pointers would be much appreciated

I can relate! I had 21 goals in 20 games two years ago but I ended up with only 5 goals in 19 last year. Same thing..I felt like I got better but our team was worse and every other team got better.

You just have to stick with it. Sometimes it's helpful to change things up like going from an open curve to a closed one, or try a shorter or longer stick, or hell change your laces or tape color. Just something to break out of a rut.

But if you're on a much weaker line and/or facing tougher competition, you're just not going to score as much. I tracked my stats over many seasons and I found there's a big difference between playing between two levels:

Lower level = 0.5 goals per game, 0.9 points per game
Higher level = 0.3 goals per game, 0.6 points per game

Just kind of a reality.

Thesensation19*

I remember my senior year of high school. I really trained hard for that year, big year obviously. That summer was a huge stepping stone of my hockey progress. I also remember not joining soccer or football that year and focusing on hockey. Tried out for a few Junior and travel teams (the travel teams eventually dispersed for my year, the junior leagues requested more money then we could pay; all in all good experiences but focus only on HS hockey basically).

I even conditioned better. Started lifting a bit more. Went to cross country practices to improve leg strength and cardio.

I worked on my skills in my driveway, I went to open hockey a lot.

I was ready.
But it was def not easy for me either. We had a lack of depth and due to chemistry I was put on a weaker talented line. Good guys, we really did well and I liked it but if I could go back I would def try to get those lines changed because we stacked the first line and left my line as some sort of defensive line.

There are like 16 games in the season when I played.
The first 6 games I had 2 goals, 3 assists. No where near where I wanted to be. My line struggled, my team struggled and I struggled.

Then in game 7 we played our school's rivals. Found out late my stick had broke so my dad bought me a new one. I decided on this RBK 7k Pro stock stick. I use to only use wood and 2 piece sticks. This stick was like from heaven itself hahaha.

I went out and scored 4 goals, think I even had 2 assists. The next 7-8 games I scored at least one goal per game and I think my team went above .500 finally. I believe I even had 2-3 games with multiple goals and 1 more with a hatrrick.

I basically lit it up from one stick difference. I mean, I contribute that a lot to the stick. Finding one that suits me with its evenly distributed weight, light weight but preferred flex. But its also mental.

Try to change things up. Any little bit helps. White tape.... white stick! Cage?

Overall though... focus on your practice. Work on different shooting approaches like I said. And remember one thing I believe Messier once said

Continue to play to hard, play to your strengths. Do what your team needs of you and you will get the goals in due time

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
Just because your accuracy is better doesn't mean you know where to shoot to score goals. Goalies train to stop the shots you practice. Start picking different locations to shoot at. It's not glorious but I find I catch goalies napping a lot on low wide shots. Also try to not telegraph your shot as much, that helps the goalie see or guess where your shot is going. I like to fake like I'm passing and just throw the puck low on the inside. I also like wide angle shots that most goalies don't expect you to shoot from, like the goal line wide. I've netted a few from bouncing them off the goalies shoulder or head.

Try putting a big rubber trash can in front of your practice net and shooting around that from different angles, helps build your accuracy more than just picking corners.

Another tip, if you don't have the puck, rush the net and wait for it to pop out in front. I like to be about 5 feet in front of the crease waiting for the pass or rebound. Crashing the net will get you goals more than the high slot or trying to cut into the net while you have the puck.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
good suggestions so far!
funny you mention the trash can trick Jisatsu, i actually put my yard waste bin in front of my net yesterday :laugh:
as far as the rut goes: ive bought a new stick, taped my blade differently, tried different pre-game routines, etc. i change my shooting pad's position daily so i can be ready to shoot in pretty much every situation as well. i just dont know what do to! now that i really think about it, my line probably has more to do with it than i realize. ive been playing with a newbie on left wing and a slacker on the right wing...more often than not im the only one really giving 100% so i end up having to create my own chances. last game our player-coach put me on a line with our top scorer and we were really vibing so hopefully he sticks with us on the same line. i cant put into words how frustrating it is not only not scoring, but getting chirped because mr. cherry picker/stat counter on my team consistently ribs me about my lack of production

Last edited:

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Watch the goalie when you're on the bench, he/she's got weaknesses. Does he/she move slow laterally (move across the crease & shoot to the open side), is he/she small or get down in a really low butterfly (shoot top corners or just above the pads), is he/she a stand up goalie (shoot bottom corners).

Work on your wrist shot, learn to load it/lean on it (you will shoot much, much harder).

Take your shots from the high percentage area. Take a good look @ the goalie before you shoot, find the opening, then fire the puck there. If you don't have a great shot, shoot for a rebound to go to F2, or pass to F3 or a good puck moving defenseman.

If you're the second forward (F2) on the play, drive to the far post to take a pass or get a rebound. If you're the third forward (F3) in on the play, trail a bit farther back in the slot & complete the triangle.

Do the basics well & the good players will want to play with you.

Oh_so_saad

Sep 18, 2012
Seattle
after 21 years of playing I value my + - more than I do points. If my plus is high that means im normally scoring or assisting a lot. If I have a negative im being scored on against and not playing the game defensively. scoring falls into place oonce you have solid defenseive fundamentals

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
i dont know for sure but id say my +/- is among the top 3 or top 5 on the team .. my defensive side of the game is far, far better than my offense is so im not worried about that at all

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Sophmore slump perhaps? My first year of inline I score 6 in 9 games. Inline is supposed to be easy to score. Second year I score 1 goal in 9 games. Eventually, I practice very hard and in my fourth year I score 21 goals in 9 games.

Keep practicing every facet you can think of the game and you will improve very much.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
From the sound of it, your slump isn't due to lack of training or hard work; it's between the ears. Slumps are mental and WE ALLOW THEM to persist because we start to obsess, over-analyze, and negatively reinforce bad habits and/or negative thinking. In your example, this causes you to lose focus and not be "in the moment" when scoring opportunities present themselves.

You are frustrated, so you put in all of the extra time with your shooting, which inflates the expectations that the goals will come... and they don't. So you get more frustrated, so you put in more time shooting... and the vicious cycle continues.

As previously mentioned, focus on your strengths and everything that you do well. Once you make some good plays, give yourself positive mental feedback; you'll tune out the negative and allow your brain to function without that block, which allows your training to take over.

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
Are you still playing in the same league? With more or less the same teams? With more or less the same players?

If you're one of the better players on your team, people probably are probably catching onto your game and focusing on you.

When that happens, you can't always score goals anymore; you gotta distribute. Find the guy who they're not putting as much focus on and hope they step up :)

Green Blob*

Heh I just got past a 7 game goaless drought yesterday and scored 3 goals. I play defense but still usually i get a goal every 2 games. I was playing a bit of offense yesterday so that helped, but its ALL about confidence. Battle through it, try not to think about it.

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
Are you still playing in the same league? With more or less the same teams? With more or less the same players?

If you're one of the better players on your team, people probably are probably catching onto your game and focusing on you.

When that happens, you can't always score goals anymore; you gotta distribute. Find the guy who they're not putting as much focus on and hope they step up :)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The biggest key to scoring is not your shot hard wise or accuracy or any of that in lower levels. It's being in the place where the puck is at the right time.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Think outside the box. That what my teammates told me.

I'm a D-man, so my usual season is 3g 15a kinda thing.

And +1 to what leftwinger37 said, it's pure mind over matter.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Live in the moment. If your mind says "I've got to score." more than "I have to put this top shelf within an inch of the crossbar." that is where slumps begin.

Relax. If you are playing with the enjoyment and fire in your game, the results will come.

Focus. Don't focus on stats, focus on doing all the little things. The numbers will come.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Shoot everything. Quick release. Don't think about your placement, just getting in net. That half second you spend picking your spot might be what's killing you, or holding the puck a second longer before shooting might be taking you out of better shooting lanes.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
When I go through a scoring drought, I try to simplify my game. Also, get dirty.

mattand1mixtape

Apr 2, 2013
Beauty.

From the sound of it, your slump isn't due to lack of training or hard work; it's between the ears. Slumps are mental and WE ALLOW THEM to persist because we start to obsess, over-analyze, and negatively reinforce bad habits and/or negative thinking. In your example, this causes you to lose focus and not be "in the moment" when scoring opportunities present themselves.

You are frustrated, so you put in all of the extra time with your shooting, which inflates the expectations that the goals will come... and they don't. So you get more frustrated, so you put in more time shooting... and the vicious cycle continues.

As previously mentioned, focus on your strengths and everything that you do well. Once you make some good plays, give yourself positive mental feedback; you'll tune out the negative and allow your brain to function without that block, which allows your training to take over.

This. Spot on. 100%. Slumps are almost always mental. As the previous poster said, dont get down on the fact that youre not putting the puck in the net, but rather focus on the things you are doing right, and focus on your strengths. It may sound dumb, but giving yourself positive feedback after each shift will help greatly. It focuses your attention to what you just did right, rather than what you just did wrong. You get more of what you think about and imagine, so keep those thoughts positive! Remember, thoughts reflect feeling.
I highly recommend reading the book "Hockey Tough" by Saul Miller. It discusses the mental side of hockey, and most importantly tells you how to stay mentally sharp. This book helped my mental acuity not only on the ice, but in all walks of life. One of the best books I have ever read.

gosinger

Nov 25, 2012
This. Spot on. 100%. Slumps are almost always mental. [...] I highly recommend reading the book "Hockey Tough" by Saul Miller. It discusses the mental side of hockey, and most importantly tells you how to stay mentally sharp. This book helped my mental acuity not only on the ice, but in all walks of life. One of the best books I have ever read.
I really have to get this one, I've heard many positive references. Since about a month or two something got me in a slump, can't handle the most simple passes, missing on wide open goals, and it is starting to eat away at me....
When I get angry/annoyed (i.e. after getting slashed) I step-up my game, suddenly for the rest of the shift I'm quicker, more focused, can deke D's that were a brick wall all day long and get a decent shot on net. I get to the bench, think "you see, thats how you do it! now do it again!". Next shift out, I fumble a pass and I am right back down in the hole i was before :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad