Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
My obsession to own the UK hardcovers drastically reduced my desire to read Sanderson's other works. I just prefer their artwork for the dustjackets a lot more.

I don't really like hardcovers, except for the undersized ones you can sometimes find, e.g. with book club editions - I just prefer reading paperbacks, and even displaying them. I understand why you like the hardcovers, though.

Reactions: Chinatown88

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
This afternoon I was inspired by this thread to finally read what is probably the science fiction novel, 2001 A Space Odyssey. I had already seen the movie so I wasn't going in completley blind, what an incredible book. I read it in one sitting, I was completely transfixed. Most vivid imagery I have experienced while reading. Clarke's descriptions of the vastness of space and the sheer enormity of the stars and planets were of particular note. The slow pace the descriptions grew from a faint pinprick of light into the massive body they truly are helped impart the true scale of what I was reading. Page after page of just a spec, then a chapter later a small disc. Later still a shining mass smaller in appearance than our moon as seen from earth. Then larger even than earth, and so on.

There are some books you read and think that with enough practice you could probably write something of similar quality if not creativity. I think this book took true genius. I can't even begin to truly talk about the book as my mind keeps getting drawn back to his descriptions of space.
This afternoon I was inspired by this thread to finally read what is probably the science fiction novel, 2001 A Space Odyssey. I had already seen the movie so I wasn't going in completley blind, what an incredible book. I read it in one sitting, I was completely transfixed. Most vivid imagery I have experienced while reading. Clarke's descriptions of the vastness of space and the sheer enormity of the stars and planets were of particular note. The slow pace the descriptions grew from a faint pinprick of light into the massive body they truly are helped impart the true scale of what I was reading. Page after page of just a spec, then a chapter later a small disc. Later still a shining mass smaller in appearance than our moon as seen from earth. Then larger even than earth, and so on.

There are some books you read and think that with enough practice you could probably write something of similar quality if not creativity. I think this book took true genius. I can't even begin to truly talk about the book as my mind keeps getting drawn back to his descriptions of space.
It gets very slow at times, but it’s a great book. Don’t waste your time with the sequels. For your next read in the genre, I’d suggest Frank Herbert’s classic, Dune

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
No. Starting them fresh is fine.

Unless you want to re-read other works, that is.

Reading something like "Warbreaker" again is no big deal - it's good, and short-ish. If I had to read the Mistborn trilogy again, it would take much more of an effort (though it's great, too). I'm kind of trying to avoid re-reading too many things, because I have already wasted way too much time doing that with a lot of series, beyond just Jordan.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Mandalorian Knuckles heh

mTlJccP_d.jpg

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The closer we get to the release of IX the more things I think about that are going to piss me off.

If Anakin/Vader (Hayden Christensen or James Earl Jones) aren't in this god damn movie and other jabronis are i'm out. Just further proving that the other six movies don't mean anything.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I haven't read it yet. Been on my To Be Read list forever but Glen Cook and his Black Company series might give that same dark fantasy vibe as The Dark Tower series.

Thank you!!! Exactly the books I was going to recommend. Also (if not mentioned in the pages I have left to read) I enjoyed the Elric of Melniboné series. And pretty much any HP Lovecraft.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
anyone excited for the return of The Expanse this Friday?

Can't f***ing wait.

Also, I'm super excited for the next season of Star Trek Discovery and as well as Picard. Should be some good shit :).

Also, a side thing, while I enjoy Star Wars, I never really go out of my way for anything Star Wars. I haven't watched The Mandalorian and I have no interest to get Disney+.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So, uh, something weird is going on in Germany and it involves Burger King and Star Wars.

They put out a video spoiling Episode IX to customers. They have no partnership with Disney or LucasFilm. I haven't watched the video but apparently they match up with leaks that have come out.

I don't know German law but I have no clue why Burger King would do this. They're going to get sued into oblivion by The Mouse, unless the leaks are just wrong and even then they'll still get sued because they've used the characters for a marketing campaign.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
So, uh, something weird is going on in Germany and it involves Burger King and Star Wars.

They put out a video spoiling Episode IX to customers. They have no partnership with Disney or LucasFilm. I haven't watched the video but apparently they match up with leaks that have come out.

I don't know German law but I have no clue why Burger King would do this. They're going to get sued into oblivion by The Mouse, unless the leaks are just wrong and even then they'll still get sued because they've used the characters for a marketing campaign.
Part of me hopes the leaks are all true because it would be absolutely hilarious, another part that is shrinking every day would be incredibly sad about what has happened to the franchise.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Another series I highly recommend is the Otherland tetralogy by Tad Williams.

I recommend "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" to basically everyone I meet, but I never got into Otherland - I started the first one, but it wasn't really my cup of tea, at least at the time. I wonder if I might feel differently now. I like the follow-up series to M, S & T too, and I liked his Shadowmarch series for the most part. One thing he did which was insupportable was his version of "Aquaman" in the comics - it was execrable.

Reactions: BernieParent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad