Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Just watched Solo again and it is so much better than than I remembered it. Maybe its a habituation thing...after watching Rise of Skywalker anything looks good. Granted RoS was better than Last Jedi but overall the sequels feel like watching videogames. Rogue One and Solo now rank up there in the top 5 SW movies for me.
I thought it was an entertaining movie, and perfectly fine. I don't know why it didn't do well.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
It suffers greatly from the impossible task of trying to get someone else to fill Harrison Ford’s gargantuan shoes. Otherwise, it’s an enjoyable pic and the backstory stuff works fairly well, unlike anything in the prequels.
shrug....I thought the actor did pretty well.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I just finished the Farseer Trilogy (I liked it). Do I go right to the Liveship series next, and then the Tawny Man?

It depends. If you only want to follow Fitz skip Liveship. I really loved Liveship, it really lets her expand the world she's created. She has a way to make you get so invested. Liveship was a really good trilogy in my opinion.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Robin Hobb?

That's just lazy.

Does he happen to steal from the rich to give to the poor?

giphy.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Found this amusing. All I know is being an author isn't an easy lifestyle. The more money they can make the more power to them.

I was curious how much money Tad Williams has made in his career, so the other day I looked up his net worth on Google. The reliability of those things is obviously questionable, but it said he is worth $700,000. I couldn't believe it - he has sold an absolute metric ****load of books.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I was curious how much money Tad Williams has made in his career, so the other day I looked up his net worth on Google. The reliability of those things is obviously questionable, but it said he is worth $700,000. I couldn't believe it - he has sold an absolute metric ****load of books.

Author Michael J. Sullivan's Official Website: The Economics of Publishing

Michael J. Sullivan wrote a blurb on his website about how rough it can be for authors. Guy self publishes everything now on Kickstarter. All his stuff is on my To Be Read Pile too.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Reactions: Chinatown88

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
This is my ranking of the star wars movies and shows, plus the KOTOR games because f*** it. Its not really based on quality, kind of a mix of quality and enjoyment. This list is probably way different than most peoples.

KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords

Revenge of the Sith

Knights of the Old Republic

Return of the Jedi

Rebels

The Clone Wars (show)

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

The Mandalorian

Solo

Rogue One

The Phantom Menace

The Rise of Skywalker

The Last Jedi

The Clone Wars (movie)

Attack of the Clones

The Force Awakens

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
New Jedi order was astronomically better than the new trilogy. Jaina solo was a more compelling female protagonist. I'd actually like them to do the Vong post rise of Skywalker as it would at least complete the theme

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Any good Star Wars book recommendations?

A lot of it blurs together now so I'll try to extract useful information. Hopefully I don't accidentally lump in some Star Trek.

There's a lot of good ones if you don't mind reading the stuff that technically isn't official anymore. Lost Tribe of the Sith is an interesting take on a marooned Sith ship that forms a society while lording over a planet's natives. There are several good comics, like the Thrawn series and Dark Empire 1 and 2. The Darth Vader series that wrapped up last year (well I guess 2018) was good. There's another one that sucks because of art choices so don't get that one. The Exar Kun comic series (Forget what it's called) is also good; we've got Sith, we've got Jedi, we've got Mandalorians.

I read the X-Wing/Rogue Squadron? series ages ago and a Tales of the Bounty Hunters book that I liked a lot when I was in middle school but I don't trust those opinions now.

Get yourself a month of Comixology and you can binge read a bunch of these for stupid cheap compared to buying them all, but unfortunately you'd still have to buy an issue or two as not all are included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad