Injury Report: Schwartz Foot Injury

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm not splitting up the SOB line if it's me.

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Lindstrom-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Berglund-Stastny-Jaskin
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves

Is what I'd go with. On a side note, we have got to have the fewest number of RH shots up front.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I'm not splitting up the SOB line if it's me.

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Lindstrom-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Berglund-Stastny-Jaskin
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves

Is what I'd go with. On a side note, we have got to have the fewest number of RH shots up front.

The Rangers have less. Fairly certain the Wings do, too.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
This. Tarasenko is great and all that, but Schwartz is really the engine on that line. He might be our best allround forward. Tarasenko does crazy stuff now and then, but you'll always notice Schwartz on the ice. With Blues luck we'll probably see Tarasenko and Schwartz sidelined in the playoffs.

Schwartz wasn't playing with Tarasenko and Lehtera on Tuesday. It started in period one with Paajarvi on that line. He almost scored, so Hitch corrected that by replacing Paajarvi with Ott for the rest of the game.

Then, after he contributed nothing, Ott was given the 3rd star of the game by the PR geniuses who think St. Louis will fall in love with him if you say they should.

Hitch took Schwartz off the STL line already, is what I'm saying.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Schwartz wasn't playing with Tarasenko and Lehtera on Tuesday. It started in period one with Paajarvi on that line. He almost scored, so Hitch corrected that by replacing Paajarvi with Ott for the rest of the game.

Then, after he contributed nothing,Ott was given the 3rd star of the game by the PR geniuses who think St. Louis will fall in love with him if you say they should.

You sure about that?

The Stl line has been a little slow lately and with Oshie out, I understand why Schwartz was moved. Lehterä and Tarasenko can handle their business

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
The fact that he finished the game after breaking his foot in the 1st period implies quick recovery time. Can't be a big fracture if he can play for 2 periods after it.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
The fact that he finished the game after breaking his foot in the 1st period implies quick recovery time. Can't be a big fracture if he can play for 2 periods after it.

I don't know about that. Adrenaline can make you power through some pretty bad injuries. I've heard of people finishing a game on a torn ACL before

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Right, I wouldn't put much into him finishing the game. And for that ACL comment, that is true. You can definitely play on it, after a few minutes after the injury, you can walk on it and be functioning, it will just swell up like crazy, so it'll need to be drained/compressed, and it will just not be as stable. Essentially it would be like removing a support from a skyscraper. It'll stand for a little bit, but eventually, the whole thing will come crashing down and everything in your knee will be torn.

It really just shows what we know about Schwartz, he's a tough SOB.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Then, after he contributed nothing, Ott was given the 3rd star of the game by the PR geniuses who think St. Louis will fall in love with him if you say they should.

I suggest you watch the first goal from the LA game again.

Your weird anti-Hitch Euro agenda is getting old.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
This isn't even the first time Schwartz has continued on in a game (and scored) after breaking his foot. Schwartz broke his foot playing for Canada in the 2011 WJC when an opposing player (I want to say they were playing Finland but don't hold me to that) fell on Schwartz and his leg buckled underneath him.

Hopefully he's not out too long but I do find it a little odd that he's classified as "week to week" instead of something like "4-6 weeks" which would be more typical with a broken bone.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Yeah man I can't believe Paajarvi isn't getting a fair shake! He could be a 40 goal scorer and should be in the lineup tonight.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Pääjärvi wasn't going to score on that chance. He put it wide and from the looks of it, quick would have gotten back in time anyways.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I suggest you watch the first goal from the LA game again.

Your weird anti-Hitch Euro agenda is getting old.

If you mean the Blues' first goal, then sure, Ott makes a nice pass to Tarasenko. That assist is 17% of his production. And he still, as of yet, has no goals in a Blues jersey.

But hey, his 0.2 points per game, despite being given Power Play time, along with time with basically every single skill player on our team, totally defends the position that he should see more ice time with our best scorer.

That assist also drug him out of a minus rating, so good, not only does Tarasenko put the teams' position in the standings on his back, but also Steve Ott's +/- rating. Neat.

Meanwhile, Paajarvi should just put up or shut up. Being on a line with Raves and Lapierre once ever 3 games affords him oh-so-many chances.

I don't have an anti-Hitch Euro agenda. Hitch has an anti-Euro agenda. And the sooner Blues fans figure that out, the sooner we can bring in a coach who can actually take this team to the next level. Until then, we're not utilizing the ability the roster has, and we'll continue to be bounced by the contenders in the league come play off time.

Hitchcock is wayyyyy out to lunch on so many facets of this team. We win in spite of him, not because of him.

He called Steve Ott the best player ont he team in our series against Chicago for Christ's sakes!

Hitchcock was great for this team a few years ago, after Payne. I was pleasantly surprised in the players' response to him. But now, he's clearly out of ideas, and reverting to old, bad habits.

Paajarvi was touted in 2009 as one of the best prospects of that Draft. And you can tell me he busted, but that simply is absolutely not true. He got sent to Edmonton, the prospect graveyard, and then to us, where he was never given a chance to actually play the game.

Paajarvi doesn't have a high instinct with this team because he hasn't been given the chance to. We complain about line switching with Hitchcock from time to time, but if the fact that he's had different players on his line all year is being explained away for Stastny's lack of success... then how come we can't afford to give the same courtesy to Paajarvi when he hasn't had any players to play with because he doesn't play!

We give mulligans to Backes for not producing. We give mulligans to Stastny for not producing. To Oshie and Steen and Berglund and half the other repeat-losers on this team. But the young blood, the new talent, the guys who maybe could change things from our repeat pattern of failure? No chance given to them at all.

It's a trend of failure. And it's because of a lack coaching prowess.

I know, this is in the wrong thread. And I know, there are legions of Blues fans who have given up on Paajarvi. And just as many fans who will defend Hitchcock until we exit the playoffs in the first round until our Cup window closes.

I've seen a lot of losers come through St. Louis in my time as a fan. And more times than not, me calling them like I see them is accurate.

Hitchcock is no longer a winner here. Paajarvi could be one if given a chance. In my opinion, of course.

Disagree with me, fine. Call it hubris of me to say that, fine. Tell me I'm in the wrong thread, double fine.

But I don't have an anti-Hitch agenda, or a pro-European agenda.

I have a pro-St. Louis Blues agenda. And I've waited damn long for a team with as much ability as this to come around. And I'm not okay with squandering what we have. Which is what I see Hitchcock doing, and what I've been seeing him do.

It's easy, very easy, to just shrug your shoulders, say this is good enough, and comfort yourself with our record in the regular season right now. But if you're not seeing some fundamental flaws in our team, that Hitchock is exacerbating, then I can't help you because I keep pointing them out.

Skill wins Championships. Paajarvi has skill. We should be molding him into a player for this roster, not dismissing him to the press box or to a line where Steve Ott belongs. Speaking of which...

Skill wins Championships. Steve Ott has no skill. We should be dismissing him to the pressbox or to a line where he belongs, not playing him with skill players in some misguided effort to validate our preconceived notions about how good it is to have some intangible ideals like tenacity or toughness or any other stupid non-existent, immeasurable reason why we're going to keep skill players off the roster.

Ott is being shuffled around the line-up because Hitchcock is desperate to validate his need to be in the line-up. Armstrong is letting Hitch do this because Armstrong is desperate to validate giving Ott as much money as he did in the off-season, when it was a knee-jerk reaction and the obvious wrong one. The Blues PR people are desperate to make Ott look good however they can, which is why, from the stars of the game, to Darren Pang, you'll hear them praise Ott, and never come down on him. And they're desperate to do that because their boss told them to.

And I'm tired of that. I don't care if you made a bad signing. I don't care for your desperate needs to validate ****** players. I just want a God damn Championship. To hell with my pride, your pride, and anyone's pride. If it means sitting $3 million in the press box and giving that European kid some ice time, then do it.

Because skill wins. Not body checks. This organization would have 20 Stanley Cups if that hard-hitting, grinding, mucking, low-skill, high-intensity, "put the Check back in the Checkerdome", "Twist and Chase", "Blues Hockey" was a winning formula.

But it's not. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are the blueprint for a Championship. Crosby and Malkin are. Toews and Kane are.

I'm tired of the futility, and I'm tired of obviously bad decision making.

Tired enough to piss and moan aimlessly for this long on a message board.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not going to read that whole post because it's ridiculous. The fact that you think Paajarvi will be some kind of difference maker is laughable. Enough with saying he's not getting a shot. He did get one, but he did nothing with it. That's why he doesn't play. To say he has "skill" is very far fetched. So you don't want to have any kind of sandpaper in the lineup whatsoever?

In the time both of them have played, Steve Ott provides more on the ice than Paajarvi. It's not really that close either.

Maybe you're Magnus or something but I don't know why somebody would be this mad over Hitchcock not playing Paajarvi. :laugh:

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Enough with saying he's not getting a shot. He did get one, but he did nothing with it. That's why he doesn't play.

If Paajarvi had the skill to in the lineup on a regular basis then he would be in the lineup.

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc de Argumentum ad Verecundiam. Or something like that.

"Hitchcock doth not wrong, nor without cause. Will he be satisfied."

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If you mean the Blues' first goal, then sure, Ott makes a nice pass to Tarasenko. That assist is 17% of his production. And he still, as of yet, has no goals in a Blues jersey.

But hey, his 0.2 points per game, despite being given Power Play time, along with time with basically every single skill player on our team, totally defends the position that he should see more ice time with our best scorer.

That assist also drug him out of a minus rating, so good, not only does Tarasenko put the teams' position in the standings on his back, but also Steve Ott's +/- rating. Neat.

Meanwhile, Paajarvi should just put up or shut up. Being on a line with Raves and Lapierre once ever 3 games affords him oh-so-many chances.

I don't have an anti-Hitch Euro agenda. Hitch has an anti-Euro agenda. And the sooner Blues fans figure that out, the sooner we can bring in a coach who can actually take this team to the next level. Until then, we're not utilizing the ability the roster has, and we'll continue to be bounced by the contenders in the league come play off time.

Hitchcock is wayyyyy out to lunch on so many facets of this team. We win in spite of him, not because of him.

He called Steve Ott the best player ont he team in our series against Chicago for Christ's sakes!

Hitchcock was great for this team a few years ago, after Payne. I was pleasantly surprised in the players' response to him. But now, he's clearly out of ideas, and reverting to old, bad habits.

Paajarvi was touted in 2009 as one of the best prospects of that Draft. And you can tell me he busted, but that simply is absolutely not true. He got sent to Edmonton, the prospect graveyard, and then to us, where he was never given a chance to actually play the game.

Paajarvi doesn't have a high instinct with this team because he hasn't been given the chance to. We complain about line switching with Hitchcock from time to time, but if the fact that he's had different players on his line all year is being explained away for Stastny's lack of success... then how come we can't afford to give the same courtesy to Paajarvi when he hasn't had any players to play with because he doesn't play!

We give mulligans to Backes for not producing. We give mulligans to Stastny for not producing. To Oshie and Steen and Berglund and half the other repeat-losers on this team. But the young blood, the new talent, the guys who maybe could change things from our repeat pattern of failure? No chance given to them at all.

It's a trend of failure. And it's because of a lack coaching prowess.

I know, this is in the wrong thread. And I know, there are legions of Blues fans who have given up on Paajarvi. And just as many fans who will defend Hitchcock until we exit the playoffs in the first round until our Cup window closes.

I've seen a lot of losers come through St. Louis in my time as a fan. And more times than not, me calling them like I see them is accurate.

Hitchcock is no longer a winner here. Paajarvi could be one if given a chance. In my opinion, of course.

Disagree with me, fine. Call it hubris of me to say that, fine. Tell me I'm in the wrong thread, double fine.

But I don't have an anti-Hitch agenda, or a pro-European agenda.

I have a pro-St. Louis Blues agenda. And I've waited damn long for a team with as much ability as this to come around. And I'm not okay with squandering what we have. Which is what I see Hitchcock doing, and what I've been seeing him do.

It's easy, very easy, to just shrug your shoulders, say this is good enough, and comfort yourself with our record in the regular season right now. But if you're not seeing some fundamental flaws in our team, that Hitchock is exacerbating, then I can't help you because I keep pointing them out.

Skill wins Championships. Paajarvi has skill. We should be molding him into a player for this roster, not dismissing him to the press box or to a line where Steve Ott belongs. Speaking of which...

Skill wins Championships. Steve Ott has no skill. We should be dismissing him to the pressbox or to a line where he belongs, not playing him with skill players in some misguided effort to validate our preconceived notions about how good it is to have some intangible ideals like tenacity or toughness or any other stupid non-existent, immeasurable reason why we're going to keep skill players off the roster.

Ott is being shuffled around the line-up because Hitchcock is desperate to validate his need to be in the line-up. Armstrong is letting Hitch do this because Armstrong is desperate to validate giving Ott as much money as he did in the off-season, when it was a knee-jerk reaction and the obvious wrong one. The Blues PR people are desperate to make Ott look good however they can, which is why, from the stars of the game, to Darren Pang, you'll hear them praise Ott, and never come down on him. And they're desperate to do that because their boss told them to.

And I'm tired of that. I don't care if you made a bad signing. I don't care for your desperate needs to validate ****** players. I just want a God damn Championship. To hell with my pride, your pride, and anyone's pride. If it means sitting $3 million in the press box and giving that European kid some ice time, then do it.

Because skill wins. Not body checks. This organization would have 20 Stanley Cups if that hard-hitting, grinding, mucking, low-skill, high-intensity, "put the Check back in the Checkerdome", "Twist and Chase", "Blues Hockey" was a winning formula.

But it's not. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are the blueprint for a Championship. Crosby and Malkin are. Toews and Kane are.

I'm tired of the futility, and I'm tired of obviously bad decision making.

Tired enough to piss and moan aimlessly for this long on a message board.

I'm not going to pile on a fellow Blues fan, but I think you've allowed yourself to get myopic on this one. Paajarvi has been a disappointment. But why complain about Ott? Why not complain about Lindstrom getting regular 3rd line ice? The only times Ott has been off the 4th line is when players were out with injury. Lindstrom has done very little with much better opportunities.

Ultimately, Paajarvi hasn't earned it.

At a time when Tarasenko is breaking into a leaguewide superstar, the "Euro" complaint seems bizarre.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm not going to pile on a fellow Blues fan, but I think you've allowed yourself to get myopic on this one. Paajarvi has been a disappointment. But why complain about Ott? Why not complain about Lindstrom getting regular 3rd line ice? The only times Ott has been off the 4th line is when players were out with injury. Lindstrom has done very little with much better opportunities.

Ultimately, Paajarvi hasn't earned it.

At a time when Tarasenko is breaking into a leaguewide superstar, the "Euro" complaint seems bizarre.
Hitch's Lindbohm and Lehterä love would also suggest otherwise

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I promise that I will read your whole post and give a better response later tonight but real quick, for a guy with an anti-euro agenda, a few flaws:

1. He adored Vladimir Sobotka.
2. Jori Lehtera of the 0 goals in his last 15 games before last night while playing mediocre hockey quite frankly hasn't been benched.
3. Euro Peterri Lindbohm, an AHL fill-in, has basically taken away the spot of North American Ian Cole.
4. Euro Dmitrij Jaskin and his 4 goals got the call up ahead of North American Ty Rattie and his 14 goals.

So give me more evidence that he has a bias please or else rephrase what you're saying to talk about how you really just are debating Paajarvi vs Ott.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I promise that I will read your whole post and give a better response later tonight but real quick, for a guy with an anti-euro agenda, a few flaws:

1. He adored Vladimir Sobotka.
2. Jori Lehtera of the 0 goals in his last 15 games before last night while playing mediocre hockey quite frankly hasn't been benched.
3. Euro Peterri Lindbohm, an AHL fill-in, has basically taken away the spot of North American Ian Cole.
4. Euro Dmitrij Jaskin and his 4 goals got the call up ahead of North American Ty Rattie and his 14 goals.

So give me more evidence that he has a bias please or else rephrase what you're saying to talk about how you really just are debating Paajarvi vs Ott.

The word Euro got brought up by someone else saying I had a Euro-Agenda. I simply said that if there's any agenda towards Europeans, it's on Hitchcock's part.

But fine, if you want me to more concisely word my thesis:

Hitchcock prefers to play players with no skill over players with skill. He forgives mistakes by useless grinding players, pushing them up through the line-up to positions they clearly have no place being in. He slams the door hard on skill players, particularly those who play a game that some would characterize as European. He will give certain players literally entire seasons to start getting it together without recourse, such as Ott, Berglund... Stastny, Steen, Oshie until a few days ago. But certain players he won't give more than 1 period to show anything before tossing them out of the line-up.

I'm arguing skill players vs. 4 grinders in the lineup. That's what I'm arguing.

I'm arguing Steve Ott has no place on this team, let alone on our most productive line. Ott is here because he's buddies with Armstrong and Hitchcock. Same reason Sydor, Morrow and Langenbrunner were on this team when it clearly brought the team down. And Brodeur, the way they talk to the media, threatens to be another one of these "buddy who doesn't deserve in the line-up" types.

The buddy system is not how to win a Championship.

Also, Hitchcock is very very slow to react to adversity in general. He'll keep the same on-ice strategies rolling through an entire playoff series without changing anything, even when it's obvious that strategy is being exploited. We saw that against Chicago with an Umbrella Power Play, and we're seeing it this year with a passive defense against tougher teams.

My ultimate thesis is: Hitchcock was a great coach for us a few years ago, but at this point he's out of ideas and its time for him to go before he does more damage to players who can play, like Paajarvi and Lindstrom. Or like he did to Cole, keeping him in the pressbox for years when he could outplay the likes of Colaiacovo or Leopold.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The word Euro got brought up by someone else saying I had a Euro-Agenda. I simply said that if there's any agenda towards Europeans, it's on Hitchcock's part.
But that was proven wrong quite easily.

Hitchcock prefers to play players with no skill over players with skill.
Not true, and a ridiculous thing to say. Look at the lineup the Blues are icing. It is primarily skilled. And oh yeah if Hitchcock was always icing a lineup with "unskilled players", we wouldn't have been one of the best teams in the league each of the past few seasons, bud.

He forgives mistakes by useless grinding players, pushing them up through the line-up to positions they clearly have no place being in. He slams the door hard on skill players, particularly those who play a game that some would characterize as European. He will give certain players literally entire seasons to start getting it together without recourse, such as Ott, Berglund... Stastny, Steen, Oshie until a few days ago. But certain players he won't give more than 1 period to show anything before tossing them out of the line-up.
And who are those "certain players" that he tosses out of the lineup? Magnus Paajarvi? Good lord dude, just scrap your entire argument and just admit that you think Paajarvi is one of the best players on this team.

Are Ian Cole and Chris Porter skill players? Because they get taken out of the lineup quite a bit. Who are these grinders that he pushes up the lineup? Steve Ott? Because no other grinders get pushed up the lineup. Your entire argument here is just Paajarvi vs. Ott but yet you try to disguise it as something more than that, but it's clear as day. Ott's versatility and experience sometimes allow him to play that "utility" role. Magnus Paajarvi sucks, and Ott should easily be in the lineup over him.

I'm arguing skill players vs. 4 grinders in the lineup. That's what I'm arguing.
Every team has grinders, get that through your head. There's a reason teams aren't playing the likes of Magnus Paajarvi and Joakim Lindstrom on the 4th-line, because they'd be useless. Stop making a big deal out of nothing.
I'm arguing Steve Ott has no place on this team, let alone on our most productive line. Ott is here because he's buddies with Armstrong and Hitchcock. Same reason Sydor, Morrow and Langenbrunner were on this team when it clearly brought the team down. And Brodeur, the way they talk to the media, threatens to be another one of these "buddy who doesn't deserve in the line-up" types.
Really? Those players "clearly brought the team down"? Yeah because the team did so poorly with them on the roster... :shakehead

The likes of Brenden Morrow and Jamie Langenbrunner getting bottom line minutes had a very small impact on this team. They were not the reason the team failed. It was because the core players didn't step up once again.

My ultimate thesis is: Hitchcock was a great coach for us a few years ago, but at this point he's out of ideas and its time for him to go before he does more damage to players who can play, like Paajarvi and Lindstrom. Or like he did to Cole, keeping him in the pressbox for years when he could outplay the likes of Colaiacovo or Leopold.
Except Paajarvi and Lindstrom have shown time and time again that they actually can't play.

Your obsession with them is laughable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad