Proposal: Schneider to Vancouver

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This is based on cap dump trades like Bolland and Bickell.

Vancouver gets:

Schneider
Conditional 1st round pick (NJ can pick 2019 or 2020) to offset Schneider’s negative value.

New Jersey gets:

Nilsson as a replacement

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
The Devils have more cap space than the Canucks. Try using some common sense before coming up with such a nonsense proposal. Schneider might be a useless pile of dogcrap with negative value, but we have no reason or need to dump his contract as we have tons of cap space.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The Devils have more cap space than the Canucks. Try using some common sense before coming up with such a nonsense proposal. Schneider might be a useless pile of dogcrap with negative value, but we have no reason or need to dump his contract as we have tons of cap space.

Your post is based on two assumptions.

1) That the Devils don’t mind wasting the $6 mill in cap space for the next 4 seasons while they are entering their window to compete (based on your core’s age such as Hall);
2) that the Devils’ owner doesn’t mind paying $24 million for a player that sits on the bench.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Your post is based on two assumptions.

1) That the Devils don’t mind wasting the $6 mill in cap space for the next 4 seasons while they are entering their window to compete (based on your core’s age such as Hall);
2) that the Devils’ owner doesn’t mind paying $24 million for a player that sits on the bench.

Do you even realize how much cap space we have? We literally would have trouble hitting the cap floor without Cory's anchor of a contract. The only way we have any cap problems in the future is if we make a couple bigUFA signings. And even then it's unlikely.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Wow people are f***ing aggressive on this site. This is a trade proposal on a hockey forum, not a political discussion.

If New Jersey is down to trade Schneider to the Canucks and give up a quality pick, I wouldnt be a opposed to it. However, it does seem this would be viable only if they want to make a big splash in free agency and free up room to give money to their younger players entering the end of their deals.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
This is based on cap dump trades like Bolland and Bickell.

Vancouver gets:

Schneider
Conditional 1st round pick (NJ can pick 2019 or 2020) to offset Schneider’s negative value.

New Jersey gets:

Nilsson as a replacement
Ridiculous proposal. Try to think of it from the other teams point of view.

Jesus christ.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Do you even realize how much cap space we have? We literally would have trouble hitting the cap floor without Cory's anchor of a contract. The only way we have any cap problems in the future is if we make a couple bigUFA signings. And even then it's unlikely.

If you guys are barely hitting the cap floor while trying to compete, then it seems like your owner has put a budget on the team? Then my second point applies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Let's reverse the roles here so everyone can understand how absurd this proposal really is.

Would the Canucks have traded last years pick with Loui Eriksson when they have a boat load of cap to spare and are actually in need of a bloated deal to reach the floor?

One would assume you and your fellow Nucks fans wouldn't approve of such a deal, so it's the same thing for us Devils fans.

member 290103

Let's reverse the roles here so everyone can understand how absurd this proposal really is.

Would the Canucks have traded last years pick with Loui Eriksson when they have a boat load of cap to spare and are actually in need of a bloated deal to reach the floor?

One would assume you and your fellow Nucks fans wouldn't approve of such a deal, so it's the same thing for us Devils fans.

No I agree. A first round pick is not going to happen.

What about a bad contract going the other way though? Louie Ericksson's actually $$ paid is reasonable from here on out. Would New Jersey take his $$ on in exchange for giving up Schneider?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

The difference is Canucks are still a ways off from competing and have a wealthy owner that always spends to the cap.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The difference is Canucks are still a ways off from competing and have a wealthy owner that always spends to the cap.

We're a bottom five team buddy... did you check the standings lately?

We're competing alright... we're competing for the 1st overall pick.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
We're a bottom five team buddy... did you check the standings lately?

We're competing alright... we're competing for the 1st overall pick.

We both know I meant being a playoff team last year. Regardless, some of your most productive players are in their prime (Hall, Palmieri, etc.). Unless Shero plans on dealing them, I imagine he wants to add complimentary pieces to compete again. I imagine he wants to compete during the time that Schneider is under contract as well. It’s really not that outrageous. You guys are having a down year but are in a similar position as Colorado was in recent years.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We both know I meant being a playoff team last year. Regardless, some of your most productive players are in their prime (Hall, Palmieri, etc.). Unless Shero plans on dealing them, I imagine he wants to add complimentary pieces to compete again. I imagine he wants to compete during the time that Schneider is under contract as well. It’s really not that outrageous. You guys are having a down year but are in a similar position as Colorado was in recent years.

At some point, when you're the only one that thinks this isn't a bad idea... I would start asking myself if being the common denominator isn't a sign that I might be wrong about my assessment.

But hey, thats just me.

Edit: Try asking Sens fans if they liked the idea of trading their 1st round pick two years away from acquiring Duchene despite being a playoff team the year prior to the move.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Locker up, the discourse in this thread is garbage.
Why don’t you just admit you made a bad proposal lol why blame it on everyone else. Even I admitted I was wrong for saying we should trade Boeser. I love the NJ response to this haha your take no BS attitude is refreshing, Its one of the reasons I love visiting New Jersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad