Schiefele Vs. Tavares

Who would you rather have on your team?

• Total voters

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Tavares wasn't in the playoffs last season. You're getting into a slippery slope now as to what you are arguing, individual stats or team stats. To perform in the playoffs you need a good team, Tavares has never had that. Scheifile has. Until you learn this fundamental hockey fact its pointless to argue with you.
I'm not getting into a slippery slope. Scheifele missed 22 games in the season and made them up in the playoffs. Their stat lines are basically identical when you look at last year, and Scheifele was clearly better the season before. Factor in contract and I know who I'm taking on my team.

Reactions: Snowman

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Tavares wasn't in the playoffs last season. You're getting into a slippery slope now as to what you are arguing, individual stats or team stats. To perform in the playoffs you need a good team, Tavares has never had that. Scheifile has. Until you learn this fundamental hockey fact its pointless to argue with you.

But you're "McFlyingV" you literally argue against every Leafs player in ever poll/thread. So I'll be scrolling past, cheers.
Nah I just tear apart poor arguments, which just so happen to come from Leafs fans far too frequently.

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB

But you're "McFlyingV" you literally argue against every Leafs player in ever poll/thread. So I'll be scrolling past, cheers.

Maybe Tavares could have brought his team to the playoffs if he wasn't the leader/captain of the run & gun and cheat on defense to score more points philosophy that plagued the Islanders last year. I give it 15 games at most before Babcock benches Tavares for at least a full period for lack of defensive commitment.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Maybe Tavares could have brought his team to the playoffs if he wasn't the leader/captain of the run & gun and cheat on defense to score more points philosophy that plagued the Islanders last year. I give it 15 games at most before Babcock benches Tavares for at least a full period for lack of defensive commitment.

Funny he never benched JVR or Bozak last year who are both vastly inferior defensively

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Id take Scheifele hands down. For the reasons already stated.

It’s funny when posters here act like Tavares didn’t play with offensive players like Bailey and Lee.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Every single poll with a toronto player ends the same... majority vote for who they think is the better player -> Toronto fans cry about how hf bias blah blah blah.

It is not hf bias, its that people geniunely think schief is a better player at this moment. Give it a rest with the persecution complex.
I wonder what could have happened between February, when Tavares was the 4th best center according to hfboards, and Scheifele was 9th, and now, to have Scheifele jump up over Mackinnon, Kopitar, Stammer, Bergeron, and J.T.

Or has JT fallen past all those guys since feb, as well? Is he even in the top-10 anymore?

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
I wonder what could have happened between February, when Tavares was the 4th best center according to hfboards, and Scheifele was 9th, to have Scheifele jump up over Mackinnon, Kopitar, Stammer, Bergeron, and J.T.

Or has JT fallen past all those guys since feb, as well? Is he even in the top-10 anymore?
Scheifele had a monster second half of the season and a huge playoffs... tavares didnt impress nearly as much. Ill just throw you a hint, players arnt static, they get better and worse throught out time. Just because he ranked 4th in feburary does that mean he has to ALWAYS be that good in everyones eyes? No.

Tml fans just dont like to hear the truth. They create poll after poll and then get upset and say its cause everyone hates them.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I wonder what could have happened between February, when Tavares was the 4th best center according to hfboards, and Scheifele was 9th, and now, to have Scheifele jump up over Mackinnon, Kopitar, Stammer, Bergeron, and J.T.

Yea it's pretty funny. To be expected though honestly. He's still a top 5C if he went to the Sharks or re-signed. 2 months of play doesn't change it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Well this thread is asking who you'd rather have on your team so its not a simple "who is better". Age and contract come into play, and with those things considered Scheifele is much more valuable.

Flair Hay

Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The stats speak for themselves, Tavares has superior career numbers in every category. Deal with it.

I think he's had a superior career for sure. Scheifele has just gotten better every year since he was 18. Tavares was probably good enough for the NHL at 16. Scheifele took until 20.

But I think it's obvious Scheifele has become pretty close to the player Tavares is today. He is coming off a pretty impressive playoff performance.

Their career point per game isn't indicative of where they are as players today. But you implied it was and then dropped a mic lmao

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Last 2 seasons? you mention playoffs, what is your argument then? get is straight, Tavares has never been on a good team, Scheifele has been, to be good in the playoffs you need to be on a good team.

Tavares clearly had a superior season to Schiefele this past season, what exactly are you going on about?

Past 2 seasons
Tavares :
View attachment 129177
2017/18 - 82 GP, 37 G, 47 A, 84 P

Past 2 seasons
Schiefele :
View attachment 129179
2017/18 - 60 GP, 23 G, 37 A, 60 P

Tavares with the better goal production, give Schiefele the better assist production but by a minuscule amount, Tavares still comes out on top in point per game this past season at 1.02.

We're talking about most recently right? okay well then as of 2017-18 season Tavares is better. Thanks.

scheifele was injured. still ended up point per game

what be did in the playoffs makes up for his shorter regular season and then some
over a ppg. lead his team to the wcf

good team or not. it wasn't too long ago most people called the jets bad

you obviously have some type of bias for Tavares and a problem with the thought that scheifele is considered the preferable pick atm
you should at least acknowledge that

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Scheifele had a monster second half of the season and a huge playoffs... tavares didnt impress nearly as much. Ill just throw you a hint, players arnt static, they get better and worse throught out time. Just because he ranked 4th in feburary does that mean he has to ALWAYS be that good in everyones eyes? No.

Tml fans just dont like to hear the truth. They create poll after poll and then get upset and say its cause everyone hates them.
So did Scheifele leapfrog all those guys, or is it just Tavares that fell?

Looking at pre- and post- all star splits, Matthews did better than either player. Is he above them both?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Looking at pre- and post- all star splits, Matthews did better than either player. Is he above them both?

Going nearly a goal per game through 3 rounds of the playoffs is pretty significant, don’t you think?

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Going nearly a goal per game through 3 rounds of the playoffs is pretty significant, don’t you think?
I think it's very impressive, but not really enough to change the scouting report on a guy. Every year someone goes crazy during the playoffs, only to return to earth after... You often see pretty stupid contracts handed out to 3rd line playoff heroes.

Scheifle is a great player, without a doubt. I just doubt that a .8gpg figure is going to be his new norm.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Tavares shouldn’t have been ahead of Kopitar, Stamkos or Bergeron to begin with. Mackinnon finished the season at a ridiculous pace that leapfrogged both Scheifele and Tavares. Both belong in the 7 to 9 range, there are just too many other good players who edge them out of the top 5. I have Scheifele with a slight edge, but could understand saying Tavares instead. With contract factored in Scheifele becomes the obvious choice, only a true homer would vote Tavares.

nope

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I think it's very impressive, but not really enough to change the scouting report on a guy. Every year someone goes crazy during the playoffs, only to return to earth after... You often see pretty stupid contracts handed out to 3rd line playoff heroes.

Scheifle is a great player, without a doubt. I just doubt that a .8gpg figure is going to be his new norm.

I agree he will not post a .8 GPG over the next season but he could be a 40-50 goal player.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Tavares is the better player but I'd say Schiefele's contract makes him more valuable to a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad