Schenn

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
It makes a difference when you're missing 12 games and now being forced to play with AHL players.

But we can agree to disagree.

Now Leaf fans are calling Bozak an AHL player? Seems you guys lost hope on him quickly after all the posts and polls on him during the summer.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Now Leaf fans are calling Bozak an AHL player? Seems you guys lost hope on him quickly after all the posts and polls on him during the summer.

I still believe in him but he's played like an AHL player for most of the year. If it wasn't for Leafs have no depth at center, he would probably get sent down.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yeah mods, how about some policing of this thread?

Schenn is a monster. 5 point game tonight. He now has 39 points in 16 games as a member of the Saskatoon Blades.

If those numbers are stretch out over a full season, he would be on pace for over 60 goals and 160 points....

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
the AHL age rule is stupid, Schenn shouldnt be in the juniors as you can see from his points

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
I don't usually agree when people say a player doesn't have anything left to prove and is above a league, but Schenn is proving that is the case with him and the CHL....

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
the AHL age rule is stupid, Schenn shouldnt be in the juniors as you can see from his points

It sucks for a couple players every year, but if that rule wasn't in place, you'd see every halfway decent 18 and 19 year old in the AHL and the top junior development league in the world would crumble hurting hockey from top to bottom. Pretty sure the big picture outweighs Schenn here.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^ Simple way to get around that is to allow 2-3 underage spots on each team, similar to the CHL where teams can have 3 overagers or whatever. This would work in reverse and would allow a team to play their 2-3 best prospects in the minors rather than junior.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
^ Simple way to get around that is to allow 2-3 underage spots on each team, similar to the CHL where teams can have 3 overagers or whatever. This would work in reverse and would allow a team to play their 2-3 best prospects in the minors rather than junior.

2 - 3 spots is way too many. I have tried to make a case for 1 per team, but even that is too much. Ill put it this way. If every team was allowed 1 junior player to play in the AHL, here are the guys who would have done so (in my estimation) last year:

Blues -- Alex Pietrangelo
Ducks -- Luca Sbisa
Oilers -- Jordan Eberle
Thrashers -- Patrice Cormier
Kings -- Brayden Schenn
Leafs -- Nazem Kadri

Other potentials:
Preds -- Ryan Ellis
Capitals -- Della-Rovere
Sabres -- Luke Adam
Bruins -- Jordan Caron

Losing guys like Eberle, Kadri, Pietro, Ellis, Schenn would be disastrous for the CHL

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
Schenn sucks. Lombardi should trade him, Jack Johnson, Bernier and 1st for the right to sniff Hemsky's jock.

Edit: I forgot to add Wayne Simmonds to the deal.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that the reason for the 20 year old age limit is just so that the CHL can stay afloat. The CHL without their best 18 and 19 year olds would fall apart, and then the whole hockey world suffer since the CHL is so crucial. There needs to be a 20 year old limit.

I see Fripp already said this.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Schenn sucks. Lombardi should trade him, Jack Johnson, Bernier and 1st for the right to sniff Hemsky's jock.

Edit: I forgot to add Wayne Simmonds to the deal.

Have Oilers fans been saying this? I haven't paid much attention to the discussion on this board of those rumors.

Schenn is going to be a great player. Patrice Bergeron type with some of that Toews/Richards DNA to him.

You have to give to get though. I don't know, I'm not even expecting that alleged deal to go down at all because Lombardi is notoriously slow to pull the trigger on anything.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I don't usually agree when people say a player doesn't have anything left to prove and is above a league, but Schenn is proving that is the case with him and the CHL....

The big thing for Schenn has left to prove is to win a major event. His team has lost two consecutive gold medal games at the WJC, and last year lost in the memorial cup and in the WHL playoffs. So putting up points is great, but lets see him help his team win. I'm a fan of his, and I am hoping he can do that this spring, and I am sure everyone close to Brayden and the Kings are hoping the same, because it would be a big monkey off his back if he could help a team lift up a trophy.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The big thing for Schenn has left to prove is to win a major event. His team has lost two consecutive gold medal games at the WJC, and last year lost in the memorial cup and in the WHL playoffs. So putting up points is great, but lets see him help his team win. I'm a fan of his, and I am hoping he can do that this spring, and I am sure everyone close to Brayden and the Kings are hoping the same, because it would be a big monkey off his back if he could help a team lift up a trophy.
He plays for the Blades now. Also, an absolute tonne of top prospects who turn into great NHLers never win any major events in their junior career, guys like Taylor Hall are more the exception than the rule.

Anyways, say what you want about him being 19, but when is the last time someone dominated the WHL like this? 43 points in 18 games is just insane in the WHL, he's only been held pointless in one game all season, not to mention his 18 points in 7 games at the WJCs (tied for most ever by any Canadian junior). I seriously cannot remember anyone finishing a WHL season at anywhere particularly close to 2.4 PPG (not saying Schenn will necessarily maintain this pace, but it's what he's at now). One of the best rates of scoring I can personally remember is when Eberle had 106 points in 56 games. Funnily enough people also said "he's 19 and not super huge or super fast, won't be anything special in the NHL," but Eberle's doing fine so far.

Because of playing in the NHL, AHL, WJCs, and his short injury, Schenn is only gonna be able to play 29 WHL games this season, but it'll be cool to see how many points he can put up in that span. At his current rate he would hit around 70 points, which would be pretty nuts.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

Yeah, all Schenn's fault, not like hockey isn't a team game or that he didn't do all he could even with a seperated shoulder.

The year before that was all Hall's and Eberle's faults.

Vic Vinegar

Oct 27, 2009
Well, he won't exactly have to be THE leader if he stays with the Kings. Players like Doughy, Johnson, and Kopitar will play a big role in the Kings winning a cup, if they do win a cup.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Yeah, all Schenn's fault, not like hockey isn't a team game or that he didn't do all he could even with a seperated shoulder.

The year before that was all Hall's and Eberle's faults.

I'm not saying it's his fault, I'm just pointing to the fact that he still has things to prove, or anyway something to strive for. I've played on teams that have won and teams that have lost in the league finals, and there is a big difference. I'm sure Brayden would like to win one of these championship games. And even though hockey is a team game, the great thing about sports is for those on the ice, they can change the outcome. So I am rooting for Brayden and the Blades to win in the playoffs.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
He plays for the Blades now. Also, an absolute tonne of top prospects who turn into great NHLers never win any major events in their junior career, guys like Taylor Hall are more the exception than the rule.

Anyways, say what you want about him being 19, but when is the last time someone dominated the WHL like this? 43 points in 18 games is just insane in the WHL, he's only been held pointless in one game all season, not to mention his 18 points in 7 games at the WJCs (tied for most ever by any Canadian junior). I seriously cannot remember anyone finishing a WHL season at anywhere particularly close to 2.4 PPG (not saying Schenn will necessarily maintain this pace, but it's what he's at now). One of the best rates of scoring I can personally remember is when Eberle had 106 points in 56 games. Funnily enough people also said "he's 19 and not super huge or super fast, won't be anything special in the NHL," but Eberle's doing fine so far.

Because of playing in the NHL, AHL, WJCs, and his short injury, Schenn is only gonna be able to play 29 WHL games this season, but it'll be cool to see how many points he can put up in that span. At his current rate he would hit around 70 points, which would be pretty nuts.

yeah, I meant his NHL team, but I see where it could be confusing from what I wrote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad