Schenn

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
On the Blades website it says Schenn has only played 17 games.. is that correct? and why has he only play so few games?
and another question if ne one can answere it.. How many games are played in a whl season? thanks.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
On the Blades website it says Schenn has only played 17 games.. is that correct? and why has he only play so few games?
and another question if ne one can answere it.. How many games are played in a whl season? thanks.

He wasn't returned to junior until December, missing the first two months of the WHL season. He played two games with the Wheat Kings before missing the next month because he went to Canada's junior camp and played in the World Junior Championship.

He was traded at the WHL trade deadline to Saskatoon but missed about a month because he separated his shoulder in the tournament.

On another note, we talked to him before his 2nd game with the Blades.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Schenn was in a tough spot this year. As per NHL/CHL rules, he isn't eligible to play full time in the AHL until next season. LA didn't have a natural spot for him with Kopitar/Stoll/Handzus as the incumbent top three centers and they didn't seem intent to burn off a year of Schenn's deal to play him as a 4th liner.

The Kings were very strategic about keeping Schenn around for the first few months of the NHL season without burning a year off of his entry level contract. The Blues did something similar with Alex Pietrangelo last year. Practicing with the NHL club for a couple months was likely more beneficial for Schenn at this point than sending him back to junior right away.

LA used a small loophole in the CBA and was able to send Schenn to the AHL temporarily on a two week conditioning assignment. So on top of the 8 NHL games he played for the Kings, Schenn played in 7 games for their AHL club as well.

Then they sent Schenn back to juniors to coincide with the start of the World Junior camp. And as AV mentioned, Schenn hurt his shoulder during the tournament and missed a chunk of time.

And there are 72 games in the WHL schedule: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WHL_seasons

Gulvorn

Jan 26, 2009
Ohio St/Cincy/Dayton
I was wondering the same thing about Petr Straka but then I found out that he is apparently playing for a new team in the Q after wasting 30 minutes trying to decipher the Q's ridiculous team websites.

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
The numbers Brayden has put up since being traded are ridiculous....

He has something like 14 goals and 35 points in 14 or 15 games...something crazy...It really shows you where his game is at and how much give offensive game has developed the last year....

R S

Sep 18, 2006
In 15 games, he has already taken the team lead in powerplay goals....

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
You'd be sad too if your team missed out on Luke Schenn and ended up with Cody Hodgson

Technically, they never got a chance to draft Schenn but they missed out on Myers (but I guess so did we but I am happy with Schenn).

:lol::lol:

What will it takes for Leafs fans to...

Nevermind...

???

You realize that's what he was projected as and has only progressed? He is a #3/#4 defensemen in the league right now and improving offensively and defensively.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
You'd be sad too if your team missed out on Luke Schenn and ended up with Cody Hodgson
I don't think you understand how the draft works. Don't worry I know how easily you can get confused.

And what's with Leaf fans and they're overuse of the word elite? Kessel is an elite goalscorer. Kulemin is an elite power forward. Schenn is an elite shutdown defensemen. Armstrong is an elite grinder. Bozak is an elite prorated center. Too bad with all this "elite" talent their team isn't elite either.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He wasn't returned to junior until December, missing the first two months of the WHL season. He played two games with the Wheat Kings before missing the next month because he went to Canada's junior camp and played in the World Junior Championship.

He was traded at the WHL trade deadline to Saskatoon but missed about a month because he separated his shoulder in the tournament.

On another note, we talked to him before his 2nd game with the Blades.

Bang on except I think he only missed a couple weeks, not a month after being traded. The gold medal WJC game was on Jan 5th, Schenn was traded on Jan 10th, and played his first game with the Blades on the 22nd. Obviously the injury has not affected him, as he's been absolutely on fire since, with 14 goals and 36 points in 16 games. At this point he's pretty clearly too good for juniors, too bad the ridiculous AHL age limit is preventing him from competing against men.

Also, :shakehead: at bringing up Luke here, not sure why haters feel the need to bring up the Leafs in every single thread.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I don't think you understand how the draft works. Don't worry I know how easily you can get confused.

And what's with Leaf fans and they're overuse of the word elite? Kessel is an elite goalscorer. Kulemin is an elite power forward. Schenn is an elite shutdown defensemen. Armstrong is an elite grinder. Bozak is an elite prorated center. Too bad with all this "elite" talent their team isn't elite either.

The other person said Schenn will likely end up as an elite shutdown defensemen. Want to tell me exactly what's wrong with that statement?

Kessel is an elite goal scorer.

Uhh, who says Kulemin is an elite power forward? Kulemin doesn't really even play like a power forward.

So clearly what you are trying to say is Leafs fans exaggerate like you are right now. And please, don't make it sound like Leafs fans are the only one, everyone overrates their players.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
30 goals makes you an elite goal scorer? I guess Dustin Penner is an elite goal scorer too then.

He had 36 in 70 games (on pace for 42 in 82 games), next year he has 30 (on pace for 35 in 82 games) in 70 games after coming back from injury and playing with Stajan. Now, he has 23 goals in 60 games (on pace for 31 in 82 games playing with freaking Bozak who should be in the AHL and the other winger has been usually crap with him (Crabb, Versteeg etc...) and he is playing on a poor offensive team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad