Schenn Could Be Headed to Hollywood?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Thought I would post this on the prospect board....

Now, the LA Kings lost Anze Kopitar yesterday with a fractured ankle and are dealing with a number of injuries. With their other injuries, they could call up Schenn from the Saskatoon Blades if they lose one more player to injury. He would be recalled on an emergency basis.

It was discussed on the Hotstove last night.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/CBC's_Hockey_Night_in_Canada/Hotstove/1239704011/ID=1859037850

Now this would be a massive blow to the Blades Mem Cup chances if this happened. But, it's refreshing to hear that the Kings would be leary to rush Schenn, even if they COULD call him up. Frankly, I am praying the Kings get healthy and stay healthy.

And just in case someone knows, if Schenn would be recalled on an emergency basis, is there a limit as to how long he could stay up? Or how many games he could play?

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Kevin Westgarth, you are voted off the island. Hurt yoself so we can get Schenn.

In all seriousness, Schenn probably won't see NHL games until next year. Saskatoon is doing well and no one is even sure if the Kings management wants to call him up anyways.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think they'd do it. That's a lot to ask of a rookie.

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
I think the Kings would be better off shifting everyone up a few slots, and trying to fill a 3rd or 4th line spot from the minor leagues rather than calling Schenn up from the WHL and hoping for him to fill in the lost offense.

He's been having a great year at the junior level, but things weren't clicking for him the same way at the NHL level.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I think the Kings would be better off shifting everyone up a few slots, and trying to fill a 3rd or 4th line spot from the minor leagues rather than calling Schenn up from the WHL and hoping for him to fill in the lost offense.

He's been having a great year at the junior level, but things weren't clicking for him the same way at the NHL level.

Not to mention, I doubt they want to burn a year off his ELC unless they truly think they have a shot to go deep in the playoffs, which is tough to argue without Kopitar and Williams right now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not sure pulling a guy from a situation where he has every chance of succeeding and putting him in a situation where he has every chance of failing is all that smart.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Not to mention, I doubt they want to burn a year off his ELC unless they truly think they have a shot to go deep in the playoffs, which is tough to argue without Kopitar and Williams right now.

Does it burn a year if its only on an "emergency basis"? I don't think it does. It never did for Kadri last year when the Leafs did it.

And does nobody know if there's a limit to how many games he could play if he was recalled?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^ Yeah but Kadri only played one game. Schenn has already played the 9 max so I think it would burn off a year.

Also, don't the Saskatoon Blades need to be eliminated from the WHL in addition to the Kings exhausting all injury replacement options? I'm sure the Kings organization doesn't want to burn that bridge with Saskatoon considering the amount of draft picks they traded to get Schenn from Brandon.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
^ Yeah but Kadri only played one game. Schenn has already played the 9 max so I think it would burn off a year.

Also, don't the Saskatoon Blades need to be eliminated from the WHL in addition to the Kings exhausting all injury replacement options? I'm sure the Kings organization doesn't want to burn that bridge with Saskatoon considering the amount of draft picks they traded to get Schenn from Brandon.

I guess the 9 games, yeah.

And the Kings shouldn't give a flying **** about the Blades and where they are or what they are doing. If it helps them, that's all they should be worried about. This coming from a guy affiliated with the Blades. NHL matters more when it's all said and done.

And I don't think both conditions have to be met (another injury and Blades ousted), I think it's just one or the other.

arsmaster*

And the Kings shouldn't give a flying **** about the Blades and where they are or what they are doing. If it helps them, that's all they should be worried about. This coming from a guy affiliated with the Blades. NHL matters more when it's all said and done.

And I don't think both conditions have to be met (another injury and Blades ousted), I think it's just one or the other.

Fair enough, but there are transfer rules in place between the CHL and NHL, to avoid situations just like this. The CHL clubs need some sort of protection here.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Terry Murray, the Kings coach, just confirmed that the Kings will NOT be calling anyone up, so Schenn stays put and will likely finish up the playoffs with Saskatoon and most likely play in the Memorial Cup.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

Ya, sorry, I should have clarified that since he already played his 9 game maximum, then it would burn a year IIRC.

I agree, if the Kings deem the best decision for him and the team is to bring him up, you do it regardless of the effect to the Blades, who have had a great team all year prior to the Schenn trade, and can compete in the playoffs without him if it came down to it.

That being said, in the cap world, the importance of a year on a ELC is pretty important, combined with the fact they have no idea when Kopitar or Williams will be back (at least 6 weeks for Kopitar, less certainty for JW), I just doubt they will call him up at this point in time.

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
Leaving Schenn in the WHL is most likely the best move and I think the Kings intention. Not to mention that other injury would still have to occur.

That said, if Stoll or Handzus goes down, that plan goes out the window.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
It would be too much to ask of Schenn at this time. The last thing the Kings should do is put him in a "savior" type of role, which even if not intended to be such, would likely be how it is viewed.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
He's played 8 games this year, so he can play 1 more. Seems unlikely.

I am curious however. . . . do playoff games count towards the ELC?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Leaving Schenn in the WHL is most likely the best move and I think the Kings intention. Not to mention that other injury would still have to occur.

That said, if Stoll or Handzus goes down, that plan goes out the window.

That may be so, but do you think they'd be willing to burn that 1st year to limp in to the playoffs down Williams, Kopitar and Stoll/Handzus? Schenn's good, but come on- he's not going to lead the Kings to the Cup this year.

UpGoesRupp

Jul 18, 2008
British Columbia
They have bounced Schenn around a lot this year. I think him staying in juniors will be key to his development. He's already been traded this year to his hometown team with hopes of winning a Mem Cup. I say give him that chance. As a kings fan I can say the playoffs won't be that special with absence of key players and especially Kopitar. It's unfair to suggest a jr player could be brought up to fill the first line center hole. Schenn was tried out on the fourth line. It's to much to ask. Let him relish the chance to be a winner and be a key ingredient for a long CHL playoff stretch.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Schenn was also asked about this post game last night on the air and basically said it wasn't going to happen.

Also, TSN JUST reported, as I type this, that he CAN'T BE CALLED UP until the Blades season is over.

Maybe all that "another guy needs to get hurt" stuff is hogwash.

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
Schenn was also asked about this post game last night on the air and basically said it wasn't going to happen.

Also, TSN JUST reported, as I type this, that he CAN'T BE CALLED UP until the Blades season is over.

Maybe all that "another guy needs to get hurt" stuff is hogwash.

This is what Rich Hammond had to say today.

Schenn wouldn’t be eligible to join the Kings on an emergency basis unless three more injuries took place to forwards (not counting Anze Kopitar). This is based on the agreement between the NHL and the Canadian Hockey League, and the rules get much more strict after March 1.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/03/28/scheen-status-clarification/

That may be so, but do you think they'd be willing to burn that 1st year to limp in to the playoffs down Williams, Kopitar and Stoll/Handzus? Schenn's good, but come on- he's not going to lead the Kings to the Cup this year.

I said that before it was announced that Kopitar needed surgery and the Kings would need to suffer at least 3 more injuries before they could recall Schenn. If it was a one injury thing to get Schenn out of the WHL and it was to Stoll/Handzus, I'm sure they would have considered it. I also don't think it would be the best situation to throw Schenn into. Obviously now, if they get to the point where they could bring Schenn in, I don't think they'd be making the playoffs.

It's one of those fine line things, if you get in the playoffs, anything can happen. It doesn't exactly send the best message to the rest of the guys on the team IF they had the ability to bring in someone who might give them some help, and they didn't do it. The guys in the locker room aren't going to be looking at the contract side of the situation, they would be looking at it as we have a guy who might be able to help and they didn't bring him in. At the same time, burning a year on his rookie contract probably isn't the best financial decision to be made. The point really is moot because if they lose 3 more forwards, they aren't going anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad