Scheifele draft pick

MrWigglez

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Mike Smith was not .... the best GM. Let's just leave it at that - if I say any more, I could get in trouble. ;)

Unfortunately for me I did say more, and it cost me a possible job with the Maple Leafs. I had interviewed for a position with the front office, and on the follow up interview (done by telephone) I didn't realize I was speaking with a person who was in Smith's camp and I was quite negative about him. After the second or third sentence she cut me off and proceeded to explain why her immediate boss, Mike Smith, would never see fit to hire me. Oops. :cry:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Unfortunately for me I did say more, and it cost me a possible job with the Maple Leafs. I had interviewed for a position with the front office, and on the follow up interview (done by telephone) I didn't realize I was speaking with a person who was in Smith's camp and I was quite negative about him. After the second or third sentence she cut me off and proceeded to explain why her immediate boss, Mike Smith, would never see fit to hire me. Oops. :cry:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln

Ooops! As you have, I've definitely learned to be cautious with my negative opinions - rarely does it help, unfortunately.

Aela*

I really could care less who made it to the show first especially when we are looking at one to half a year here. Also not all of the players that you have mentioned have been better off for it.

Larsen despite being a can't miss d prospect has absolutely stagnated as a bottom pairing defenseman in Jersey and has been recently demoted to the AHL.

Strome just got called up a month ago and is going through a similar adjustment period as Mark.

RNH was rushed and has been injured a lot in his early career. I don't think he's developed as expected because of it.

I will take an organization that knows what its doing with regards to development over orgs that feel the need to rush players and see them stagnate.

I'm actually pretty sure that Larsson was sent down because NJ is 'cheating' by putting people down for 1 game so he can have more players on his team, or something like that.

RNH was rushed, but I don't really think injuries are the teams fault, just unlucky. He could have had those injuries in the OHL as well.

I agree that rushing players isn't great...but I've never been that happy seeing Scheifele spend a ton of time in the OHL either, I don't really feel putting up more points is all that helpful for development.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
The soon Scheifele starts leading the rookies in scoring, the better.

Practically no one but Jets fans brings him up in Calder discussions. It's all Kreider this and MacKinnon that.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Abraham Lincoln

OK Darth the bolded in your post could be our theme name for our Draft day thread s. However watching how Trouba and Scheifele are progressing one would hope the fan base NOW has a bit more faith in TNSE's ability to draft because:

“Success has many fathers but failure is an orphanâ€

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

The thing I find interesting, is what happened to a large majority of those posters? I definitely don't see many of those names around here anymore.

Sadly I also didn't see myself in that thread. Could have sworn I posted, but maybe I just held back that day. :laugh:

Edit: I now remember it was back in the days when I didn't book work off for the draft, so I was working. I distinctly remember periodically checking my phone, seeing Couts dropped to us without our pick up on the site yet and didn't find out our selection was Scheifele until much later.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
The thing I find interesting, is what happened to a large majority of those posters? I definitely don't see many of those names around here anymore.

Sadly I also didn't see myself in that thread. Could have sworn I posted, but maybe I just held back that day. :laugh:

Edit: I now remember it was back in the days when I didn't book work off for the draft, so I was working. I distinctly remember periodically checking my phone, seeing Couts dropped to us without our pick up on the site yet and didn't find out our selection was Scheifele until much later.

That thread is some hilarious reading. Brings back some memories. I recall being so excited when Chipman announced the "Winnipeg Jets" that I missed the pick. I had been hoping for Strome or Zibinejad, but thought Scheifele was an okay pick for where the Jets were selecting.

As to some of those posters, I think a lot of them were not so much hockey fans so much as they were/are fans of having a team back in Winnipeg. Not every fan's ardour burns as bright as others. I don't want to call them bandwagon jumpers, because that's not fair to the majority of them, but I think a lot of them are not hardcore hockey fans, and base all of their knowledge on whatever Lawless or Friesen writes.

Sometimes a person has to have pretty thick skin to remain on HFJets, especially if said person only has a smattering of hockey knowledge. Some of you guys can be fairly intimidating!

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
That thread is some hilarious reading. Brings back some memories. I recall being so excited when Chipman announced the "Winnipeg Jets" that I missed the pick. I had been hoping for Strome or Zibinejad, but thought Scheifele was an okay pick for where the Jets were selecting.

As to some of those posters, I think a lot of them were not so much hockey fans so much as they were/are fans of having a team back in Winnipeg. Not every fan's ardour burns as bright as others. I don't want to call them bandwagon jumpers, because that's not fair to the majority of them, but I think a lot of them are not hardcore hockey fans, and base all of their knowledge on whatever Lawless or Friesen writes.

Sometimes a person has to have pretty thick skin to remain on HFJets, especially if said person only has a smattering of hockey knowledge. Some of you guys can be fairly intimidating!

Also, I think as our first year we had a lot of visitors from other fanbases. The saddest part to me is how many ex-Thrasher fans aren't around anymore. :(

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Also, I think as our first year we had a lot of visitors from other fanbases. The saddest part to me is how many ex-Thrasher fans aren't around anymore. :(

I agree. I completely understand but it is sad to see.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville

Yes, for sure. There were some awesome ex-Thrashers fans who regularly posted for the first season or so, but most of them seem to have disappeared. Quite sad - they were always welcome here.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I liked the Scheifele pick from day one, didn't think it was a reach at all. However, I did also say at the time that I thought Couturier was the safer pick.

Hopefully someone bumps the Morrissey draft pick thread if and when Josh is having a breakthrough season. I'll be sure to take my helping of crow. ;)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, for sure. There were some awesome ex-Thrashers fans who regularly posted for the first season or so, but most of them seem to have disappeared. Quite sad - they were always welcome here.

To stay interested and keep posting 3 years after the move, you pretty much have to have converted to being a Jets fan. As the team transitions over time this is not easy to do. When we lost the Jets 1.0 I tried following them in Phoenix the first year, but it soon became apparent to me that I just didn't care any more.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

It was obviously an easier transition for myself as a Thrasher fan as I'm Canadian. It was much less a loss for me when the team moved. I actually wasn't too happy about it at the time, but it's been a monumental gain for the team.

You have no idea how good this ownership is. I know all the Winnipeggers love them for bringing the team back, but they're REALLY good owners.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I liked the Scheifele pick from day one, didn't think it was a reach at all. However, I did also say at the time that I thought Couturier was the safer pick.

Hopefully someone bumps the Morrissey draft pick thread if and when Josh is having a breakthrough season. I'll be sure to take my helping of crow. ;)

You weren't a Morrissey fan either? I thought I was on an island (as someone who had actually seen him play, not just another "ZOMG WHY DO WE ALWAYS REACH?!?!" guy) who genuinely didn't feel too hot about him. I actually liked the Scheifele and Trouba picks and didn't like the Morrissey one. Just wasn't a fan of him in my viewings and thought he purely took advantage of his better skating too often and would suffer against better competition. Was a massive Pulock and Wennberg fan going into the draft and when they were both available I was praying one would be the pick. Early on it's already looking like I was wrong about Morrissey.

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
You weren't a Morrissey fan either? I thought I was on an island (as someone who had actually seen him play, not just another "ZOMG WHY DO WE ALWAYS REACH?!?!" guy) who genuinely didn't feel too hot about him. I actually liked the Scheifele and Trouba picks and didn't like the Morrissey one. Just wasn't a fan of him in my viewings and thought he purely took advantage of his better skating too often and would suffer against better competition. Was a massive Pulock and Wennberg fan going into the draft and when they were both available I was praying one would be the pick. Early on it's already looking like I was wrong about Morrissey.

I was a huge Pulock fan as well, loved what I saw from him. That's more what I was disappointed about than anything, plus I wanted the Jets to draft a forward (really liked Adam Erne at that spot). I thought Pulock was the guy if the Jets wanted to take another defenseman.

Still really like Pulock, but I never realized Morrissey's hockey sense was that good.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I was a huge Pulock fan as well, loved what I saw from him. That's more what I was disappointed about than anything, plus I wanted the Jets to draft a forward (really liked Adam Erne at that spot). I thought Pulock was the guy if the Jets wanted to take another defenseman.

Still really like Pulock, but I never realized Morrissey's hockey sense was that good.

Yeah, I still really like Pulock and Wennberg. I'm just willing to look back and say maybe I was wrong about Morrissey.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Everybody at the time

PS What happened to the option to embed Youtube videos? I don't see it anymore.

I could be wrong but I remember him being outraged by the Trouba and esp the Morrissey pick too :laugh:

I was very confused at the time of the Trouba pick. I felt like I had done a lot of research but apparently I completely just failed to acknowledge his existence. In my defense though I was really hoping we would draft Hertl or Maatta, obviously happy with Trouba but either of those guys would have been nice too.

Funny Trouba story: Did anybody go to the under-16 tournament when it was in Winnipeg? 2009 I think? There was a game that I went to versus the US where a kid ran our goalie and for the rest of the night the whole arena booed him every time he touched the puck. A debate ensued involving my family and friends who I had went with whether it was right to boo a 16 year old kid out of a building and if it could be damaging to somebody that age.

Fast forward to 2012 and I'm reading an interview with our new 1st round draft pick Jacob Trouba and he says "it'll be interesting going back to Winnipeg, last time I was there I got booed out of the city." I do some research and manage to find a gamesheet for the game I was at and sure enough, Trouba's on the gamesheet with a penalty for goalie interference. So I guess it didn't impact him too negatively.

EDIT: It was the Under 17's and it was in 2011, my bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad